Greasy Lake Community

9 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I thought he pretty much said so.  

Don’t really care how or why the tour came about.  I was just thrilled that it did.  I absolutely LOVED all 6 River ‘16 shows I saw.  

No argument there, although I didn't see the exact same shows. :D

As for the depression and the long shows comment, I didn't neccessarily mean just the 2016 River Tour.

• Like 1
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some explanations by the man himself https://www.backstreets.com/riverinterview.html Backstreets: So this tour comes as quite a surprise! Springsteen: It was a surprise. It was a surprise

Well, money.

I have a lot of reasons ....all conjecture....To Promote the Box Set ? Because Steve Asked really nicely ?  ....or because the the original River show in 2009 was ecstatically received and he wanted t

Posted Images

4 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

the River tour that wasnt a River tour at least in Europe, I was lucky I caught that Paris show most in Europe didnt, in many worlds he would have been prosecuted for infringing the trades description act. Was it money or his depression I dont know, i guess only he and a few others do. By the way still waiting for that album he mentioned presuming it wasnt Western Stars. 

We were never promised full River album shows in Europe, so good luck to anyone who would have wanted to prosecute.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, the-chickenman said:

As for the depression and the long shows comment, I didn't neccessarily mean just the 2016 River Tour.

Yeah, I didn’t necessarily mean that specific tour either.  Was just commenting that when the topic arises, how (as we all know), he’s always said being on stage helps his depression quite a bit.   

3 hours ago, the-chickenman said:

We were never promised full River album shows in Europe, so good luck to anyone who would have wanted to prosecute.

some people really do take things rather to literally

10 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

thats the problem with recent years, lucky if you got river full album, lucky if you got verified fan with ticketmaster, lucky if you could get to and afford SOB, lucky if a cinema near you was showing western stars at a convenient time and price, lucky if you could afford the 3 variants of western stars

i know what you mean:(

but at least with WS i was lucky enough to have a couple of wondetful friends who helped me out

• Like 1
21 hours ago, the-chickenman said:

Oh yes we were.  The early publicity said so.  Some of us kept screenshots.

• Like 2

If Bruce wanted to tour, I don't understand why he needed a "reason".   Just tour, call it anything you like if you need a title, eg
"Lucky Dip Tour - Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band play the hits, and more!"

By all means play some songs from The River, maybe the occasional out-take, but there was no need to tie it down to an old album that he got bored with very quickly.

Yes, I am still bitter that despite going to three shows I still didn't get to hear half the songs from The River.  This is what I got:

The River x 3
The Ties That Bind x 3
Sherry Darling x 3
Hungry Heart x 3
Out In The Street x 3
You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) x 3
Two Hearts x 2
Crush On You x 2
I Wanna Marry You x 1
Point Blank x 1
Drive All Night x 1

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Rizla said:

If Bruce wanted to tour, I don't understand why he needed a "reason".   Just tour, call it anything you like if you need a title, eg
"Lucky Dip Tour - Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band play the hits, and more!"

By all means play some songs from The River, maybe the occasional out-take, but there was no need to tie it down to an old album that he got bored with very quickly.

Yes, I am still bitter that despite going to three shows I still didn't get to hear half the songs from The River.  This is what I got:

The River x 3
The Ties That Bind x 3
Sherry Darling x 3
Hungry Heart x 3
Out In The Street x 3
You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) x 3
Two Hearts x 2
Crush On You x 2
I Wanna Marry You x 1
Point Blank x 1
Drive All Night x 1

i feel your pain

4 hours ago, Rizla said:

Oh yes we were.  The early publicity said so.  Some of us kept screenshots.

Really. I was so sure they said it would be performed at all shows while it was still a US tour only, and once they added more shows in the US and eventually Europe the words changed to ‘full River album at all north american shows’, while the Euro shows were never mentioned in specific.

5 hours ago, the-chickenman said:

Really. I was so sure they said it would be performed at all shows while it was still a US tour only, and once they added more shows in the US and eventually Europe the words changed to ‘full River album at all north american shows’, while the Euro shows were never mentioned in specific.

We had this very discussion a long time ago.

Here's the basic facts:

Bruce&Co promoted the 2016 tour as a full The River album tour. When the tour was first announced, no reference to a European leg was made.

When Bruce&CO added the European leg to that tour, they kept the tour name, marketing logo/picture, & merchandise of the American leg. Most importantly, they never mentioned any sort of change of heart concerning playing the album in its entirety at each show.

On their websites, many European promoters and official ticket retailers overtly claimed the shows would include a full performance of The River album. 

When the tickets for the European shows went on sale, no fan could have possibly imagined getting something different from a full performance of The River album every single night.

Did Bruce&CO ever state the European leg shows would be identical to the American leg's? No.

Did Bruce&CO ever state the European leg shows would be in any way different from the American leg's? Neither.

Everybody judge the fine print & the legalese for themselves, but the least one could say is that communication was dealt pretty poorly at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, the-chickenman said:

This is how I remember it too.  I’d be interested to see these screenshots people kept that suggest otherwise.

• Like 1

I don't get the argument here, even if there is one. Are most here saying they wouldn't have bought a ticket if Bruce (Inc) said we weren't playing The River in whole from the start or not of this promotion? 

Shit I'm going to see Bruce and the ESB if it's announced they are playing WOAD and High Hopes back to back.  

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I don't get the argument here, even if there is one. Are most here saying they wouldn't have bought a ticket if Bruce (Inc) said we weren't playing The River in whole from the start or not of this promotion? 

Shit I'm going to see Bruce and the ESB if it's announced they are playing WOAD and High Hopes back to back.  

Well, Jimmy, it ain’t rocket science after all.

The River is one of Bruce’s most cherished albums.

European fans were sold a once in a lifetime full performance of that album.

They got something different instead.

Would they have bought a ticket for the show they eventually saw? Without a doubt.

Would they have preferred to get the show they had been promised? Without a doubt.

But as I said, we had this same discussion four years ago. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Frank said:

Well, Jimmy, it ain’t rocket science after all.

The River is one of Bruce most cherished albums.

European fans were sold a once in a lifetime full performance of that album.

They got something different instead.

Would they have bought a ticket for the show they eventually saw? Without a doubt.

Would they have preferred to get the show they had been promised? Without a doubt.

But as I said, we had this same discussion four years ago. 

But would you go see this......

28 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Bruce and the ESB if it's announced they are playing WOAD and High Hopes back to back.

:D

While I was somewhat disappointed that the Berlin concert of the "River" tour did not include the whole album, it was still a very impressive show with some very fine moments. However, I had the feeling the whole evening that the concert was rushed for some reason. Maybe an individual impression, but compared to other Bruce concerts I felt he hurried through the (extensive) setlist.

Now I'm afraid it might have been the last concert I I ever saw live of Bruce and the band. Who knows how long Corona will make those kind of experiences impossible? Who knows if Bruce will be willing to tour extensively at his age after the virus is somehow under control?

2 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

But would you go see this......

:D

Yes, I definitely would. 

• Bruuuuce! 2
4 minutes ago, berlintramp said:

However, I had the feeling the whole evening that the concert was rushed for some reason

You know my wife said the same thing about "The River album portion" of the River 16 show we seen in STL. I really didn't notice. Even though I don't know really what that means. He talked before the Ties That Bind and I Day. Added bits with Two Hearts and I Wanna Marry You and Point Blank. An Extended Ramrod. so rushing though it made no sense to me. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

i would be first in the quee to get WOAD ! 

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

i think its just the expectation and then the let down

it doesn't surprise me it was the promoters who got it wrong

but i understand the disappointment especially if any of those Euro peeps had been listening to the nugs releases and hearing how magnificent  the album was 

that's intetesting @berlintramp that your show felt rushed 

that's how Auckland felt - of course technically not the same tour - just the same merch

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Okely Dokely said:

This is how I remember it too.  I’d be interested to see these screenshots people kept that suggest otherwise.

Here's one. 

"The tour celebrates Bruce Springsteen's 1980 album The River .... Concert goers will get to hear the album performed in full by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band."

711927553_RiverTourScreenShot2016-05-22.thumb.png.dd67c2a4838efdac70e0b75d8a3d84ad.png

I bought a ticket for Coventry on the strength of this. 

Once it became clear that the promise was being broken and the full album not played, I eventually caved in and bought tickets for Manchester and Wembley.  I had hoped to hear all the River songs spread across three shows. 

Instead I only heard half of them, with six of them repeated at all three shows.  Add that to the "usual suspects" (and bloody Shout :angry:) and it was the dullest run of Bruce shows I've ever had.*  Culminating in the awful Wembley show where the sound was atrocious.

I complained to Live Nation about the sound after the Wembley show, and following a couple of fobbing off replies from the office junior,  I made a passing mention of the misselling of the tour and suffice to say the attitude changed instantly. ;) 
They knew that Bruce had put them in a difficult position.  If they "got it wrong", it was because he didn't tell them any different.

*  Santa Claus at Manchester being the main highlight :lol:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wasn't the change in format for Europe effectively announced by Bruce onstage at one of the last US leg shows? So while the European shows were already being promoted and sold as River album shows, Bruce casually dropped a comment suggesting it was all about to change...?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

Wasn't the change in format for Europe effectively announced by Bruce onstage at one of the last US leg shows? So while the European shows were already being promoted and sold as River album shows, Bruce casually dropped a comment suggesting it was all about to change...?

Yeah he said during the Brooklyn 25/4 show that "we're gonna open up our setlists overseas". 

It's lose-lose, really. He'd have been as criticised for playing virtually the same set every night for 89 shows as he currently is for mixing it up after the first leg. 

• Like 1

For the Paris shows I've got this snippet from an email dated march 6, 2016:

"Bruce Springsteen & The E Street band
Les 11 et 13 juillet 2016

La nouvelle va ravir les fans de Bruce Springsteen dont le dernier concert à Paris remonte à  2013,  dans  un  Stade  de  France  complet.  La  tournée  célébrant  le  35ème anniversaire de «The  River» passera par l’AccorHotels Arena les lundi 11 et mercredi 13 juillet 2016. « Le marathonien du rock » jouera ses plus grands classiques ainsi que quelques inédits.

Ne manquez pas le retour de Bruce Springsteen à l'AccorHotels Arena
et réservez vos billets en prévente ce mardi 8 mars à 10h" 

So no promise of a full River show there, but I did get it on the only show I attended on that tour, on the 13th.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Yeah he said during the Brooklyn 25/4 show that "we're gonna open up our setlists overseas". 

Well, at the time of this (let’s be honest, rather vague) onstage announcement, the tickets for the European leg had been on sale for weeks (when not for months).

For instance, Zurich, the final show of the European leg (and one of the latest to be announced overall), went on sale on April 15.

And BTW, if you remember, the general consensus/hope around here at the time was that by "opening up the setlist", Bruce meant performing some of the TTTB outtakes as well, not just halving The River content to go back to the hits & signs show format.

• Like 2