Here I am in June 2020 in the middle of the lockdown and I have suddenly become hooked on Downton Abbey...I had never seen one episode before.

Couldn't believe it started in 2010, ten years ago. I can fully understand why it was so much praised and won so many awards. It's absolutely brilliant.

Beautifully made and acted, very authentic for the time, great characterisation, lovely music....and the gorgeous Michelle Dockery as Lady Mary. What more could you ask for ? Looking forward to seeing what happens. Don't anyone ruin it !

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Don't anyone ruin it !

I suggest you don't watch the film before you finish it.

2 hours ago, Eileen said:

I suggest you don't watch the film before you finish it.

Thanks. I won't !

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I've never seen it either.  Is it like 'Upstairs Downstairs'?

Yes. :)

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Rizla said:

I've never seen it either.  Is it like 'Upstairs Downstairs'?

thanks for asking

i was wondering this too

53 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Yes. :)

Great tonight. Two hour Christmas special from series 2 with Matthew proposing to Lady Mary.

So brilliantly done.

• Like 1
On 6/8/2020 at 10:10 PM, MacBruce said:

Great tonight. Two hour Christmas special from series 2 with Matthew proposing to Lady Mary.

So brilliantly done.

Shhhh … Rizla might be wanting to watch it. ;) Glad you're enjoying it. Just gets better and better.

I am watching it.  Good first episode that draws you in at once.   Life's too short for slow burners.
Into S2 now.  A bit "seen it all before" but very watchable. 

• Like 1

Tonight's episode in S3 was fabulous. It's just mesmerising television.

I know that DA is basically a re-write of Upstairs Downstairs but is so much better. Brilliant characterisation, editing, acting performances and the dialogue can be very funny as well. You really get into the individual characters and you find yourself rooting for them. Great script with some marvellous one liners from Maggie Smith.

• Like 1
On 6/16/2020 at 9:22 AM, MacBruce said:

Tonight's episode in S3 was fabulous. It's just mesmerising television.

I know that DA is basically a re-write of Upstairs Downstairs but is so much better. Brilliant characterisation, editing, acting performances and the dialogue can be very funny as well. You really get into the individual characters and you find yourself rooting for them. Great script with some marvellous one liners from Maggie Smith.

But they don't have Gordon Jackson ...

I shell catch up with this series one day

Its about the only thing tvnz have not repeated 

3 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

But they don't have Gordon Jackson ...

I shell catch up with this series one day

Its about the only thing tvnz have not repeated 

The equivilant to Gordon Jackson on Downton Abbey is Jim Carter who plays the Head Butler brilliantly.

I loved Upstairs Downstairs as well. Watched the whole series from start to finish a few years ago. Considering it was made in the early 70's it was fabulous.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I've just started S3. 

Am I the only one who

Hide contents

thinks Bates did murder his wife

Perish the thought!

• 3 weeks later...

I finished it last night.  Was hoping to watch the film, but seems it's not free to stream anywhere yet.

It was enjoyable if a bit frustrating at times - some things didn't seem to make any sense

Spoiler

(that whole "murder" storyline involving Anna for one).

And important and potentially dramatic scenes happening off-camera, while we were shown less interesting stuff.

Does anybody know why they set it in Yorkshire?  All that popping up and down to London would have been more believable if they'd set it down south where it was actually filmed. 

@Daisey Jeep  You will love it!  Hope it becomes available to you before long.

• Thanks 1

There are loads of big estates in Yorkshire ... this story was loosely based on such a place in S. Yorks.  Lots of money around due to the industrial plants. @Rizla

7 hours ago, Eileen said:

There are loads of big estates in Yorkshire ... this story was loosely based on such a place in S. Yorks.  Lots of money around due to the industrial plants. @Rizla

Oh sure, but they all went to London as often and as casually as if they were in .... well, Highclere  :D
Five miles into Newbury and then an hour on the train to Paddington .....

• 5 weeks later...

That's me finished watching the entire six series...and what  a joy it has been.

Easily the best television drama I have ever seen. Beautifully made, brilliantly written and acted, funny, incredibly moving, lovely music, and strong characters who evolved wonderfully over the six series. One or two minor quibbles...a few plots were a bit rushed at times and Cora's character could have been developed bit more similar to the other female characters, but that was it. A TV masterpiece without a doubt, and one that will pass the test of time no doubts.

Looking forward to seeing the movie now.

• Like 1