Greasy Lake Community

Whistle Test UK 1984

1 hour ago, newcastle roy said:

I've said it many times over the years, that Old Grey Whistle Stop Springsteen special was the reason for tens of thousands of new UK fans getting on board. 

It's brillient 

Definitely me. Watching the DITD video on top of the pops was first, then this whistle test show. There was no going back. I remember recording it on VHS tape and watching it every day after school for months. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Found this , a kind of intro to Bruce for the growing UK fanbase.... its a great interview

'theres this girl who sings, Patti Scialfa' :D

...and he thought he over sang on Darkness!

There's a growing UK fan base?

Found this , a kind of intro to Bruce for the growing UK fanbase.... its a great interview

Well, he did oversing some songs on Darkness.

i thought this was going to be a rugby thread :lol:

2 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

I've said it many times over the years, that Old Grey Whistle Stop Springsteen special was the reason for tens of thousands of new UK fans getting on board. 

It's brillient 

That and the Glory Days doc in support of the Live Boxset

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I didn't know that there is a growing UK fan base.

I was referring to the timescale that this show was broadcast . I reckon 1984/85 was the time his fan base exploded in the UK andthe show seemed to be an introduction to possible new fans or thse unaware of him and his music/ shows.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I was referring to the timescale that this show was broadcast . I reckon 1984/85 was the time his fan base exploded in the UK andthe show seemed to be an introduction to possible new fans or thse unaware of him and his music/ shows.

Ah right, tnx. Nice one.

8 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

The Whistle Test played a big role in enhancing and increasing his fan base at the time of BITUSA.  More importantly it was a Whistle Test all nighter broadcast in early 1985 which had much more of an influence on what was to come.  Dancing in the Dark had been released as a single as early as May 1984 and had risen in its first chart run to the lofty position of number 28......On the night of the all nighter a certain Mr Meat Loaf was extolling the virtues of Dancing over some other record in a one v one type of video contest......The Loaf won the day,  DITD took off again and reached number 4 in February 1985....some 9 months after it was first released.  It seemed to go bat-shit crazy from around that time.

Born in The USA entered the UK Album Chart in June 1984 at no 2......It reached No 1 on the 16th February 1985, which ties in with the Whistle Test programmes of late 1984, early 1985 as being very influential.

The BBC has always shall we say been 'pro Springsteen....Whispering Bob, Hepworth in the 80's and loads that followed have championed his cause..

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Where is the special with the awesome Detroit Medley Clip at the end ?

Although That Glory Days Doc is just chock full of amazing clips !!!!

I really enjoyed it, I can remember recording I think a Tunnel of Love Whistle Test, but on Video so can't watch it anymore.

1 hour ago, Early North Jersey said:

Where is the special with the awesome Detroit Medley Clip at the end ?

Its at the end of the Whistle Test one. Its just starting when the posted clip ends.

The programme was an hour long, not just the 24 minutes posted above.