Greasy Lake Community

2 hours ago, Tunnel Of Darkness said:

The "wall of sound"?

it's #4 for me probably in the album rankings. Since no one asked I have the top 3 as Darkness, Tunnel, Nebraska. (The River could easily be included and/or knocking at the door if it wasn't so bloated and guilty of overlooking far better material that was selected for its final release. IE: how on earth was Restless Nights overlooked?)

Yeah, the Wall Of Shit Sound.  The studio versions of "Thunder Road", "Night", and "Backstreets" for example are just way too busy for my ear.  The full-band live versions however are fantastic.

My top 3 overlap with yours as well.  "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" and "Tunnel Of Love" for sure.  These days I keep rotating the third spot between "The River", "Born In The USA" and "Magic".

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

G'day all @ GL Have been lurking here for over a year, couldn't put off joining any longer. Special appreciation for all the legends uploading so much content in the bootleg thread. As

Thanks! I am from Slovakia, Eastern Europe.  Being a child of the 1980s, I first heard Bruce on the radio as a kid in the early 90s. And I borrowed the Greatest hits cd from a friend a couple yea

"Adam Raised A Cain" As I mentioned, I went on a dive in chronological order and I wasn't exactly "feeling it"* after the first 3 albums. Then Adam Raised A Cain came on and I sat upright in my c

Posted Images

Hello and welcome, Tunnel Of Darkness. You have chosen an impressive and gloomy name, tell me do you see the light at the end of that tunnel?

Welcome Tunnel Of Darkness!  What a great favorite song you have.  Adam is one of my favorites as well.  The only thing I disagree with you about is BTR.  I feel it's definitely a true masterpiece.  Also, give WIESS a few more listens. 

It's nice to meet you!

image.png.eae18cdafd54dd5713b8ee54e594724e.png

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Poetry1 said:

Sorry - wanted  to introduce myself here - found out now it is not a general thread.

Welcome! The more the merrier.

• Like 2

Thanks!

I am from Slovakia, Eastern Europe.  Being a child of the 1980s, I first heard Bruce on the radio as a kid in the early 90s. And I borrowed the Greatest hits cd from a friend a couple years later. Did nopt do much for me. When I got to high school, I started becoming a music nut and in my early 20s I started collecting boots from my favourite artists in classic rock and blues (my favourite genre overall). One day I decided to find out what the fuss was about Bruce - I found the 78 version of Prove it all night and the video of the 19 09 78 Passaic gig. And that was it. ... Bought the 73 - 84 album box and went further.

Favourite tours would be 1978 and 2012  - 2013 (Prove it all night 78 style is back ....My jaw dropped when I found out he dusted it off after 34 years:

If I had to mention one song as favourite, it would be Something in the night. For the guitar playing lover in me Prove it all night 78 style .

I studied literature at university - and what intrigued me  was the high quality of lyrics as well. I bought a book  with Spanish translations of all the lyrics up to Born in the USA, because it is a billingual book and I wanted to have the lyrics together in a book form, even though I do not speak or read Spanish :)

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1
37 minutes ago, Poetry1 said:

I found the 78 version of Prove it all night and the video of the 19 09 78 Passaic gig

Welcome to our obsession! But I believe the next night was better! :P

2 hours ago, Poetry1 said:

I found the 78 version of Prove it all night and the video of the 19 09 78 Passaic gig

G’day!

how great at those Passaic gigs. Easily my favourites. Some genius out there synced the Nugs audio to the in house video footage although I prefer the original 4:3 aspect from earlier releases. 

9 hours ago, Poetry1 said:

Sorry - wanted  to introduce myself here - found out now it is not a general thread.

welcome Poetry1

my apoligies i did not say hello sooner

good to have you on board :)

9 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I am too, but without horns, please. 

horms don't add to the angry guitar sound i prefer 

3 hours ago, Poetry1 said:

Thanks!

I am from Slovakia, Eastern Europe.  Being a child of the 1980s, I first heard Bruce on the radio as a kid in the early 90s. And I borrowed the Greatest hits cd from a friend a couple years later. Did nopt do much for me. When I got to high school, I started becoming a music nut and in my early 20s I started collecting boots from my favourite artists in classic rock and blues (my favourite genre overall). One day I decided to find out what the fuss was about Bruce - I found the 78 version of Prove it all night and the video of the 19 09 78 Passaic gig. And that was it. ... Bought the 73 - 84 album box and went further.

Favourite tours would be 1978 and 2012  - 2013 (Prove it all night 78 style is back ....My jaw dropped when I found out he dusted it off after 34 years:

If I had to mention one song as favourite, it would be Something in the night. For the guitar playing lover in me Prove it all night 78 style .

I studied literature at university - and what intrigued me  was the high quality of lyrics as well. I bought a book  with Spanish translations of all the lyrics up to Born in the USA, because it is a billingual book and I wanted to have the lyrics together in a book form, even though I do not speak or read Spanish :)

i remember well that morning waking up and reading that the 78 intro had been dusted off

i was running around my house at 4.45 am like a very happy mad woman 

and great to find another lover of something in the night 

16 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

The only thing I disagree with you about is BTR

Umm, I don't think I said anything negative about it. It's a great album. The first 3 albums didn't connect immediately but later on they did. BTR probably at #4. for me. 

20 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

did you buy any of the nugs releases from the 2016 anniversary tour ?

Hey Daisey,

yeah I have a handful of shows from 2016-2017 and funnily enough all of them are when Bruce discarded The River setlist. I do have the New York 2009 show. The River is in my top 5. Great album. But I do think it's a bit bloated and a head scratcher as to why some of the better material that was left behind. But that's part of the intrigue of the man I suppose. Funnily enough, I have my own Springsteen compilation (65 tracks at present) and The River sessions is the most represented but half are discarded tracks.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Tunnel Of Darkness said:

Yes, I have the 92/93 archive shows. Not my favourites. 

Fair enough! I have a soft spot for them as it was the first tour I was able to go to. Good times :D

• Like 1