Sign in to follow this  
ProveItAllNight747

Is BITUSA the most radio-friendly album of all time?

My local radio station in the west of Ireland absolutely love Bruce,they literally play at least two of his songs every single day.What struck me the other day is that they have played every single track off of BITUSA over the years.

Pretty much every song off of it,with maybe the exception of Downbound Train,plays well to a casual music audience.BITUSA,DITD and I'm on Fire are probably the most well known,but even the lesser tracks like Darlington County and Working on The Highway sound good on the car radio while you're driving in the Summer sun.

Seven top 10 singles from that album  bolster my belief as well.Do you agree?Or have I missed another obvious choice by another artist;let me know!

• Like 1

your ears are lucky to have such a radio station 

i wonder why ?  is someone on staff  a fan (surley they would be playing other songs though) .....or a computer likes him - 

is it a corporate radio station ?

i would say BTR would be radio friendly if only it was more well known 

14 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

your ears are lucky to have such a radio station 

i wonder why ?  is someone on staff  a fan (surley they would be playing other songs though) .....or a computer likes him - 

is it a corporate radio station ?

i would say BTR would be radio friendly if only it was more well known 

He's well loved in our local area,Bruce songs are requested very frequently by the locals!I don't think Born To Run is very radio friendly,Backstreets and Jungleland are too long for radio,Meeting Across The River would only be good really on late night radio.Born To Run and Thunder Road are great for radio on the other hand.

• Like 1

Just now, ProveItAllNight747 said:

He's well loved in our local area,Bruce songs are requested very frequently by the locals!I don't think Born To Run is very radio friendly,Backstreets and Jungleland are too long for radio,Meeting Across The River would only be good really on late night radio.Born To Run and Thunder Road are great for radio on the other hand.

i was thinking night and she's the one would be good on the radio

i forgot about the length issue:(

i guess WIESS album is out then 

what about Darkness ?

i once heard Badlands on the radio and almost had kittens 

• Like 1

Out of Bruce Albums, I think it was the album that got songs of it played most often, I think.

I am of the younger generation, but remember hearing quite a few of the songs in the early to mid 90s here after the Iron Curtain fell.

• Like 2

Is this a Radio Station where someone actually picks something to play, or does Bruce come up on a loop, like Absolute Radio?

Fleetwood Mac Rumours springs to mind, but I hate these generic push button radio stations, I long for the time of Tommy Vance and more of people like  Big Bad Bob Harris

• Like 1

Surely Thriller is more radio friendly.

4 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Surely Thriller is more radio friendly.

does anyone play Jacko anymore.....never hear him on any mainstream radio stations......probably on Planet Wierdo or something

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

...of all time, no...of Springsteen albums, yes. According to Billboard, the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack has had the most songs played on American pop radio.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Chicken Man said:

Is this a Radio Station where someone actually picks something to play, or does Bruce come up on a loop, like Absolute Radio?

Fleetwood Mac Rumours springs to mind, but I hate these generic push button radio stations, I long for the time of Tommy Vance and more of people like  Big Bad Bob Harris

The DJ takes requests and plays them.

I’ve always thought BITUSA as an album is fantastic in that every song sounds like a single - it is classic 80s rock music at its finest. No wonder it catapulted him to the heights it did - just a huge album!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

Eagles Greatest Hits

...is the best-selling album. But I think the OP is referring to an album of original material, not a compilation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JustDan said:

...is the best-selling album. But I think the OP is referring to an album of original material, not a compilation.

err..Actually, I guess you could call Samurai Night Fever a compilation album of sorts, but I guess the dif is, it's a soundtrack of previously unreleased material. 

3 minutes ago, The Chicken Man said:

no such thing......

fly+in+ointment.jpg

3 hours ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

sound good on the car radio while you're driving in the Summer sun.

Summer Sun in the West of Ireland????  Is that in between the gale force winds?:D

Just kidding..... one of my favourite places on earth!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JustDan said:

Best-selling, and very radio-friendly

1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Summer Sun in the West of Ireland????  Is that in between the gale force winds?:D

Just kidding..... one of my favourite places on earth!

Usually you'd be correct in thinking we have shit weather but this Summer we have had nothing but sunshine...so far!

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

Best-selling, and very radio-friendly

Say wut now?

• Like 1

"Driving the visibility and sales of this BIUSA behemoth were seven hit singles, all of which reached inside the U.S. Top 10 on the Billboard chart.  This feat tied the record that Michael Jackson had set back in 1982 to 1984 with his "Thriller" album, and a bar later reached by Janet Jackson on her "Rhythm Nation 1814" album.  To date, these are the only three albums in chart history that have done this. Here are those seven songs, in order of release with some conversation starters, just in case you're at a party in New Jersey and the Boss shows up!"

1.  "Dancing in the Dark"   -  Released May 3, 1984    This lead-off hitter came out one month before the album and the smooth, unusual for Bruce, synthesizer drive took this song all the way up to #2, selling a million.  It's still the star's highest charting U.S. single recorded by him.  Manfred Mann's cover of Springsteen's "Blinded by the light" managed to better that by hitting #1 in 1977. 

2.  "Cover Me"  -    Released July 31, 1984.   Bruce had written this for disco queen Donna Summer, but changed his mind and gave her the song "Protection," which she was very happy to get.  Meanwhile, the demo version of "Cover Me" was properly re-recorded and released as the second single from "Born in the U.S.A."  The song sailed all the way up to #7

3.  "Born in the U.S.A.   -  Released October 30, 1984.  The title track of the album targeted our forgotten Vietnam Veterans and the difficulties they faced.  Nevertheless, it was hijacked by many as a nationalistic anthem.  The hard-hitting track got to #9 and highlighted an explosive Max Weinberg on drums.

4.  "I'm on Fire"   -  Released February 6, 1985   In sound and style,  this song is about as diametrically opposite the previous single as Bruce could get.  Low-key, moody, and sexy, the song bulleted to #6 in the winter of '85.

5.  "Glory Days"    -  Released May 31, 1985, this song became one of the great baseball anthems of all time.  Smartly timed to coincide with the brand new MLB season, it got to #5.  In Ireland, where they take their sports very seriously, it reached #3.

6.  "I'm Going Down"   -  Released August 1985, this song actually bumped "Pink Cadillac" off the album.  Springsteen made the change, but got "Pink Cadillac" out to the public on the B-side of the "Dancing in the Dark" single.  "I'm Going Down," with its distinctive slapback echo reached #9.

7.  "My Hometown"   -  Released November 21, 1985    Issued a full year and a half after the album release, this was one of Bruce Springsteen's great message songs - speaking of racism at his school when he was growing up.  the single put an exclamation point on the statement that racism could happen on anyone's street. America took the song to heart and rose all the way to #6. 

https://wzlx.iheart.com/featured/carter-alan/content/2018-06-04-springsteens-born-in-the-usa-scores-7-top-10-hits/

On a personal note, I do not think that radio is still that much relevant today compared to the 80's. Seems very much region dependent now. Radio has gotten a big blow first by the introduction of the iPod (album orientation to single orientation, playing only first 10 seconds function) and then the streaming services (youtube, spotify and its damn curated playlists and now the podcasts too). This is radio nowhere, is there anybody alive out there?

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Don't forget Pink Cadillac was in the top 10 also. Just wasn't on the album. 

OK maybe not top 10 but 27

Pink Cadillac spent 14 weeks on the Billboard charts in 1984, peaking at #27 on June 9. Thirty years later, in 2014, Rolling Stone magazine named it one of the “100 Greatest Bruce Springsteen Songs of All Time,” although it was ranked way down the list at 84th.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Eagles Greatest Hits

I would say Hotel California, that was played to death.  As was Boston's first album.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Poetry1 said:

Out of Bruce Albums, I think it was the album that got songs of it played most often, I think.

I am of the younger generation, but remember hearing quite a few of the songs in the early to mid 90s here after the Iron Curtain fell.

I don't know where you're from, but here in Slovenia there are only a few songs circulating on the radio. 

From most often to the least:

BitUSA

Glory Days

Dancing in the dark

I'm on fire

Hungry Heart

Streets of Philadelphia

Born to run

Working on the highway

The River

Once, only once, I have heard Badlands, Hello Sunshine and I think High Hopes.

HS and HH were played as both albums got out.

So I guess yes would be the answer to the OP.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JustDan said:

err..Actually, I guess you could call Samurai Night Fever a compilation album of sorts, but I guess the dif is, it's a soundtrack of previously unreleased material. 

• Like 1