Greasy Lake Community

9 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

For sure.  I first saw them in 78 on the day Elvis died.

pretty good achievement that seeing Elvis left the building in 1977............

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s inflation for you, Hammersmith in 1975, tickets £2.20, £1.65, £1.10, worth every penny I’d say I should know, I was there for the extra show. My ticket stub, £1.65 plus the cost of a

Luckier than you’d ever realise. Although I knew a little about Springsteen by 1975 — I regularly bought import copies of Rolling Stone magazine — nothing I’d read had persuaded me to buy the first tw

Indeed.  And yes he wanted to go see KISS until that life changing moment, I think he even said he wore his KISS Army shirt to the MP show.  He passed away the same day Bruce played the Super Bowl.  L

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, The Chicken Man said:

pretty good achievement that seeing Elvis left the building in 1977............

True fact.  The memory is not what it used to be.  Plus as a Bruce fan I automatically default to 1978 for everything.  It was indeed 77.

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

True fact.  The memory is not what it used to be.  Plus as a Bruce fan I automatically default to 1978 for everything.  It was indeed 77.

Forgiven for the memory loss Judge.....but Kiss???:o

Just now, JudgeBrown said:

Interesting thing about that show was that the opening act was a completely unknown band touring behind their first there first album. Cheap Trick.

one of my favourite American Bands....

7 minutes ago, The Chicken Man said:

one of my favourite American Bands....

Likewise.  I had no idea who they were and their set was of course short, but I went out and bought the first album the next day.

13 hours ago, JudgeBrown said:

Interesting thing about that show was that the opening act was a completely unknown band touring behind their first album. Cheap Trick.

I had basically the same thing happen to me. Back in 78' went to see Black Sabbath and the open act was not even heard of in STL Van Halen. 

And than in I believe 80' went to see The Who, opening act actually got boo'ed off the stage, And Roger had to come out and support them, that group was The Pretenders, sadly I was one of the boo'ers at that time. Love them today!. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I had basically the same thing happen to me. Back in 78' went to see Black Sabbath and the open act was not even heard of in STL Van Halen. 

And than in I believe 80' went to see The Who, opening act actually got boo'ed off the stage, And Roger had to come out and support them, that group was The Pretenders, sadly I was one of the boo'ers at that time. Love them today!. 

Similar here, I went to see ZZ Top and the back up was a relatively unknown guy named Sammy Hagar.  Great show from both groups that night.

15 minutes ago, 65pacecar said:

Similar here, I went to see ZZ Top and the back up was a relatively unknown guy named Sammy Hagar.  Great show from both groups that night.

I know we are off subject a bit here. Quick funny story about Sammy Hagar. 

Keep in mind Sammy is huge here in STL, and has been from Montrose days. Anyway he opened for Boston when Boston was just the hugest thing going. Played for an hour, house lights come on, crowd still wanting more, he comes back out. When Boston came out after that, it was a bit disappointing. After that night Boston kick Sammy off the tour. And Sammy never opened for other band. 

My first WHO gig (Empire Pool, Wembley) October 1975 (at the tender age of 17 - a month before Bruce played the Hammersmith Odeon) was £2.25. A year later October 1976 - same venue - WINGS show was £2.75.  I believe Bruce in 1985 was circa £15.50 - Live Aid was £25 (seemed a fortune!)

42 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I know we are off subject a bit here. Quick funny story about Sammy Hagar. 

Keep in mind Sammy is huge here in STL, and has been from Montrose days. Anyway he opened for Boston when Boston was just the hugest thing going. Played for an hour, house lights come on, crowd still wanting more, he comes back out. When Boston came out after that, it was a bit disappointing. After that night Boston kick Sammy off the tour. And Sammy never opened for other band. 

I had a similar situation in 1978 (and there is a Sammy connection here, although not Sammy then obviously) - I went to see Black Sabbath at the Ipswich Gaumont (former cinema - probably about 1500-2000 capacity) and the support act (which at a different venue one may have been out in the bar area, or that is certainly how things developed over time!) was an unknown band called Van Halen!

Their support act slot of about 50 mins or so more or less consisted of them playing their (excellent) debut album - which a few days later I rushed out to buy - and they had all the showmanship that we came to know from diamond Dave out front and Eddie shredding the guitar and the drummer holding his sticks aloft with lit sparklers taped to them etc...…...they behaved like headliners and to this day are the only support act that I've seen who had to come back and do an encore (after ending the main set with a blistering cover of The Kinks You Really Got Me - which of course is on that debut album).

Ozzy and co (whom I hadn't seen before and had been exposed to quite a bit in my formative years, so there was some expectation!) seemed comparatively dull and ordinary by comparison (jeez I was only 20 years old...…...where has it all gone!?).    

22 minutes ago, BruceWho said:

My first WHO gig (Empire Pool, Wembley) October 1975 (at the tender age of 17 - a month before Bruce played the Hammersmith Odeon) was £2.25. A year later October 1976 - same venue - WINGS show was £2.75.  I believe Bruce in 1985 was circa £15.50 - Live Aid was £25 (seemed a fortune!)

I always thought the original Quadrophenia tour in 1973 with Lynyrd Skynyrd backing up The Who would have been great to see.  The Who members said Skynyrd was incredible on that tour and pushed them to be outstanding every night since they were a hard act to follow.  

18 hours ago, 65pacecar said:

I always thought the original Quadrophenia tour in 1973 with Lynyrd Skynyrd backing up The Who would have been great to see.  The Who members said Skynyrd was incredible on that tour and pushed them to be outstanding every night since they were a hard act to follow.  

Yeah that would indeed have been great to see! The Who have never shied away from strong support acts down the years (probably because they were so confident of their own abilities as a live act) - The James Gang and The Clash spring to mind as other back ups. Lynyrd Skynyrd were on the support bill when the Stones played Knebworth back in 1976 and for many were the highlight of the day (to exit the stage after a blistering Freebird is quite a gauntlet to lay down!, and the Stones have become more polished in their twilight sober years, but for a long time they were very loose / ragged live!). 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BruceWho said:

Yeah that would indeed have been great to see! The Who have never shied away from strong support acts down the years (probably because they were so confident of their own abilities as a live act) - The James Gang and The Clash spring to mind as other back ups. Lynyrd Skynyrd were on the support bill when the Stones played Knebworth back in 1976 and for many were the highlight of the day (to exit the stage after a blistering Freebird is quite a gauntlet to lay down!, and the Stones have become more polished in their twilight sober years, but for a long time they were very loose / ragged live!). 

I saw the Who at Greens Playhouse, Glasgow in 1970. Awesome show (my first and underage but got in) , Tommy in full and James Gang were the support. Price - 15 shillings.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, riverdude2 said:

I saw the Who at Greens Playhouse, Glasgow in 1970. Awesome show (my first and underage but got in) , Tommy in full and James Gang were the support. Price - 15 shillings.

I have seen The Who a ton of times, always an incredible show including the tour closer at the Hollywood Bowl last year.

You were luck to see them with Keith Moon, I didn't have that opportunity.  My first Who show had Kenny Jones beating the Drums but I have to admit Little Ringo is great in the current lineup and as close to Moon as you can get in style and speed.

1 hour ago, 65pacecar said:

I have seen The Who a ton of times, always an incredible show including the tour closer at the Hollywood Bowl last year.

You were luck to see them with Keith Moon, I didn't have that opportunity.  My first Who show had Kenny Jones beating the Drums but I have to admit Little Ringo is great in the current lineup and as close to Moon as you can get in style and speed.

Yeah I've seen THE WHO over 70 times since 1975 but only saw Keith twice, that first show and the awesome show at Charlton the next year 1976 - then every incarnation since and I totally agree that Zak is the closest thing (although not close if that makes sense!). The bigger loss - to the sound of the band - was John, a phenomenal bass player (lead guitar a lot of the time, freeing up Pete for the power chords). Seeing "someone" at the Hollywood Bowl is a bucket list item for me!  

31 minutes ago, BruceWho said:

Yeah I've seen THE WHO over 70 times since 1975 but only saw Keith twice, that first show and the awesome show at Charlton the next year 1976 - then every incarnation since and I totally agree that Zak is the closest thing (although not close if that makes sense!). The bigger loss - to the sound of the band - was John, a phenomenal bass player (lead guitar a lot of the time, freeing up Pete for the power chords). Seeing "someone" at the Hollywood Bowl is a bucket list item for me!  

I agree, The Ox was the greatest Bass player of all time and its not even close.  His sound and style defined The Who as much as Keith, Roger or Pete did.  
Your point on KM makes total sense, as good as Zak is still not even close. I’ve seen several shows at the Hollywood Bowl, well worth the trip, incredible Venue, so is The Greek Theatre for that matter. 

Just realized to my shock that I have spent my whole life on the United States West Coast and I have only seen one show at the Hollywood Bowl. Monty Python.

On 6/8/2020 at 7:07 PM, robk1 said:

I had reason to dig out my concert ticket stubs from 1981... Manchester and Birmingham and spotted the prices...£5 !

I'd love to know the prices of some of the old old US concerts...as well as more recent tours.

Ok... confession time. This afternoon I also dug out my vinyl copy of the River which I got Bruce to sign on the afternoon of the concert...which I remember well. What I had totally forgotten was that I have a copy of the tour programme tucked inside with a much much better signature in the centre spread.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

Just realized to my shock that I have spent my whole life on the United States West Coast and I have only seen one show at the Hollywood Bowl. Monty Python.

Thats a bit sad.  I hope you at least got the Lumberjack song out of it.....

It is an incredible venue, I've seen a bunch of shows there.  Excellent sound.  Would have loved to been at the Legendary Doors show there but I wasn't born yet.  On a side note, I did see Robby Krieger in attendance at a jimmy Buffett show there.

52 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

Have you ever been to the legendary Greek Theatre in Griffith Park for a show?  Even better than the Bowl, would have love to been at the Hot August Night shows Neil Diamond recorded the album at.

33 minutes ago, 65pacecar said:

Have you ever been to the legendary Greek Theatre in Griffith Park for a show?  Even better than the Bowl, would have love to been at the Hot August Night shows Neil Diamond recorded the album at.

No I have not.  As you may recall from other discussions over the years I am not a fan of L.A.  Have been to the Greek in Berkeley many times though.

20 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

No I have not.  As you may recall from other discussions over the years I am not a fan of L.A.  Have been to the Greek in Berkeley many times though.

I remember it isn't exactly your favorite city....