Greasy Lake Community

3 hours ago, JimCT said:

A day late for the anniversary of winning the final leg of the Triple Crown. Anyone else remember watching this at the time?

Wish i had been there ......The reaction for Pharoah was the most incredible overwhelming thing i ever witnessed .... The ease of Secretariats victory must have really given a chance for the euphoria to build .....25 years from Citation To Secretariat ....and an unbelievable 37 years from Affirmed to Pharoah ..... I definitely had the feeling i was never going to see another.

8 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Is this still a huge deal after 4 others have accomplished the triple since then? 

No disrespect to Secretariat but it was a horse and not an athlete. 

Secretariat is still revered, certainly within the horse community. His domination at that time was extreme. And he still holds the fastest time for EACH of the three Triple Crown Races. That Belmont time is still to this day a full 2 seconds faster than any other horse, ever.

Any of us who have been around competitive horses, whether racehorses, eventers, or show jumpers, would strongly disagree with your position that the horses aren't athletes.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JimCT said:

Any of us who have been around competitive horses, whether racehorses, eventers, or show jumpers, would strongly disagree with your position that the horses aren't athletes.

I understand this quite well but still. :P

ath·lete

/ˈaTHˌlēt/

Learn to pronounce

noun

a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.

Here's what horse breeder Seth Hancock was quoted as saying when Secretariat was nearing death: "You want to know who Secretariat is in human terms? Just imagine the greatest athlete in the world. The greatest. Now make him six-foot-three, the perfect height. Make him real intelligent and kind. And on top of that, make him the best-lookin' guy ever to come down the pike. He was all those things as a horse. He isn't even a horse anymore. He's a legend."

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2
4 hours ago, Kooly said:

Here's what horse breeder Seth Hancock was quoted as saying when Secretariat was nearing death: "You want to know who Secretariat is in human terms? Just imagine the greatest athlete in the world. The greatest. Now make him six-foot-three, the perfect height. Make him real intelligent and kind. And on top of that, make him the best-lookin' guy ever to come down the pike. He was all those things as a horse. He isn't even a horse anymore. He's a legend."

Look at you pulling out the Seth Hancock quote ..... Awesome ..... There are those that also felt that between Vietnam and Watergate the country desperately needed a hero. In any event the 70's were a glorious time to be a young impressionable Horse Racing Fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Golfer Jack Nicklaus once said that he watched the 1973 Belmont Stakes race alone at home on the television. When Secretariat pulled around the last turn for home Nicklaus said that he stood up in his living room and applauded him.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Kooly said:

Golfer Jack Nicklaus once said that he watched the 1973 Belmont Stakes race alone at home on the television. When Secretariat pulled around the last turn for home Nicklaus said that he stood up in his living room and applauded him.

Whats the expression ? Theres something about the outside of a horse thats good for the inside of a man ?

Its a funny accomplishment the triple crown. Too many win and it can get devalued. But wait 25 years .... or 37 with 12 Dual winners striking out in the 3rd leg and the reaction is indescribable ......The day of American Pharoahs victory the volume was akin to a Jet taking off ....for 15 minutes straight ...people crying and hugging strangers...... Something i will never forget