Greasy Lake Community

E Street Review: November 7th, 2009 - New York, NY

LINK: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/06/10/retro-e-street-review-november-7th-2009-new-york-ny/

Hi.

I've been planning my review of the Buffalo 2009 show this week and just last night came across a soundboard bootleg of the first MSG show I had stored away on a hard drive. Seeing as this isn't going to be released from the Archive at any point soon I thought it would be cool to review it and talk about the full album performance of WIESS before I talk about the full album performance of Greetings in Buffalo. 

Enjoy, let me know what you think about the review and the show, it'd be cool to read some stories from those of you who were there on the night. 

And I'm not 100% whether this allowed, but the bootleg I was listening to and reviewing can be found here: http://www.ousterhout.net/lossless/bruce.html - if you want to listen along while reading. 

Again, enjoy!

• Like 2

I had tickets for this show .....I did not have tickets for the following night ....when they announced what was being played i wanted to cry ..... I wanted to cry again During Incident On 57th Street ...but not for the same reason. :) and having procured tickets for Sunday at that point ...i could enjoy it fully.

I know we all think the version we saw was the best ....So i will throw my hat in the ring for Incident  ..... I truly couldn't believe what i was hearing.

• Like 3

Still one of my favorite bootlegs, and I will continue to campaign for a archive series release.

If for any other reason than to see BTX completely burst into flames at the idea of 2 WOAD releases in the same year.

• Like 1

2 great nights and 2 fantastic shows....Glad I was there for both ....Saw so many Bruce buds and met some new ones at the GL party at Mustang Harry’s.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
10 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

full album performance of Greetings in Buffalo

The Archive Series - releases where a Full Album start-to-finish was played?

11-22-09     HSBC Arena, Buffalo, NY                             - the first and only full performance of Springsteen’s debut album, Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ
11-08-09     Madison Square Garden, New York, NY    - Full album performance of The River (first ever)
10-20-09     Wachovia Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA      - Full album performance of Born in the U.S.A.

12-31-75     Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA               -  It’s nearly a full Born to Run show, as seven of the album’s eight tracks are performed out of sequence

Correct me, please.

Missing ?
* Born to Run (2009)
* The Wild, the Innocent ... (2009)
* Darkness (06-15-2013)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jepweb said:

The Archive Series - releases where a Full Album start-to-finish was played?

11-22-09     HSBC Arena, Buffalo, NY                             - the first and only full performance of Springsteen’s debut album, Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ
11-08-09     Madison Square Garden, New York, NY    - Full album performance of The River (first ever)
10-20-09     Wachovia Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA      - Full album performance of Born in the U.S.A.

12-31-75     Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA               -  It’s nearly a full Born to Run show, as seven of the album’s eight tracks are performed out of sequence

Correct me, please.

Missing ?
* Born to Run (2009)
* The Wild, the Innocent ... (2009)
* Darkness (06-15-2013)

There were a few more BTR, Darkness and BITUSA full album shows in 2009 mate, and there's a couple of them from 2014 that we've got. 

We're also missing the Melbourne 2014 show with a full BTR though.  

And with the mention of Tower Theatre 75 I guess East Lansing 76 can be added. 

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

And with the mention of Tower Theatre 75 I guess East Lansing 76 can be added. 

Then we can also add the several 1995 shows where all 12 Joad songs were performed (not in order, obviously).

And -finally- release of the complete unedited MTV Plugged show, the only show ever with all 10 Lucky Town songs (or is this an unpopular opinion?:D).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Then we can also add the several 1995 shows where all 12 Joad songs were performed (not in order, obviously).

And -finally- release of the complete unedited MTV Plugged show, the only show ever with all 10 Lucky Town songs (or is this an unpopular opinion?:D).

As one of the resident piano lovers ..... I love what they did with Local Hero in '92-'93

Edit...And Leeds 2013 :)

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Local Hero in '92-'93

Sadly Local Hero was not played in 1993, except the rehearsal show in Red Bank prior to the 1993 European Tour.

(Must say I did not know this, only that it was not performed at the 1993 show I saw in person (for some very strange reasons some people seem to think I know EVERYTHING, but that is not true; but Brucebase knows everything!:))).

Maybe Local Hero was dropped from its usual spot early in the 1992 shows to make room for the opening solo acoustic mini-set.

On 6/10/2020 at 8:49 PM, VABOSSFAN said:

2 great nights and 2 fantastic shows....Glad I was there for both ....Saw so many Bruce buds and met some new ones at the GL party at Mustang Harry’s.

We were at a horse show in NJ, my d's new horse was going to jump her first full 1,50m Grand Prix. Sat I took my d, although she was feeling not great. So that was her first and only Bruce show. We left after the album was finished, as she was fading. During Rosie I turned to her and asked if she could feel the floor in the Garden shaking, and she said she thought she was imagining it!

Her horse won Sunday, mom took her back to boarding school, and I went to the River show. As my first Bruce show was the original River tour at MSG nearly 29 years earlier, it was quite emotional.

Oh, and I nearly had to throttle the dips**t behind us, older man with a date ~20 years younger by my eye, who would not STFU during NYCS. If I had killed him I'm convinced a jury of my peers would have acquitted me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Early North Jersey said:

I feel bad for people who love WIESS that this recording was somehow lost. Although regarding the next night ..... I actually have a bootleg that i prefer to the official release .....

I wonder if the the broken drive is a bigger issue, rather than a one off problem.

I like to think they fixed the drive and we will get it soon

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, lilbud said:

I wonder if the the broken drive is a bigger issue, rather than a one off problem.

I like to think they fixed the drive and we will get it soon

Its always seemed odd to me that they've released a few shows from that final leg of the tour, including the following night, but somehow have a problem (apparently) with this one.

10 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Its always seemed odd to me that they've released a few shows from that final leg of the tour, including the following night, but somehow have a problem (apparently) with this one.

Or that they only have one drive for that show, no backups or nothing. Like, the drive is busted and they just never speak of it again.

On 6/11/2020 at 1:49 AM, VABOSSFAN said:

I was there too, we wore little badge's with our Greasy lake name on and a tiny flag showing which country we were from,                                                                 I still have mine.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, gus said:

Jim CT anyone that talks during NYCS should be shot. Will never get it as long as i live.

I have a smidgen of forgiveness for the crowd in Chicago 9/30/99, as NYCS followed GOTJ and none of us expected it. But at least they responded respectfully, at least in my memory. 

On 6/12/2020 at 10:41 PM, ONE LEGGED DOG said:

I was there too, we wore little badge's with our Greasy lake name on and a tiny flag showing which country we were from,                                                                 I still have mine.

I still have mine too. My first ever show on US soil. Not a bad start.

• Like 1
On 6/12/2020 at 3:07 PM, Early North Jersey said:

I feel bad for people who love WIESS that this recording was somehow lost. Although regarding the next night ..... I actually have a bootleg that i prefer to the official release .....

Would love to see an archive release from this show eventually, but if we're not getting one, the best bootlegs out there from this show are a very enjoyable listen as well. And yes, THAT Incident... B)

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

The one I referred to in the blog post is a great example!

I have that box on my shelf! :)

I believe I also have a 'fixed version' of the album portion of the show, where the Incident-Rosie issue is fixed. If memory serves it was originally done that way because Incident ended disc one of the bootleg, while Rosie was the first track on the second.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, the-chickenman said:

I have that box on my shelf! :)

I believe I also have a 'fixed version' of the album portion of the show, where the Incident-Rosie issue is fixed. If memory serves it was originally done that way because Incident ended disc one of the bootleg, while Rosie was the first track on the second.

I did one of those fixes too. Not sure why they picked the worst possible place for a disc split.

• Like 1