Greasy Lake Community

13 minutes ago, TruthThatRanUsDown said:

Had a chat with my wallet this morning. It wanted to get this show, but I convinced it to sit this one out. D&D is already well-represented, so no need for this one. 

I promised myself once I would do one from every tour, one became two, two became never mind.....

• Like 4
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about this instead?

The political message everyone expected is in the intro to "Black Cowboys", Still true. A shame, and you know its true. I'll refrain from sharing my political beliefs here. I am ashamed I am part

Of all the ones they could have put up on YouTube - the bloody bullet mic abomination  

Posted Images

Stray observations after only half listening to the show on Sirius XM:

1. one of the better shows in terms of the audience participation and overall mix of audience (specifically in Downbound Train, This Hard Land, and All I'm Thinkin' Bout)

2. Ramrod! That Ramrod is up there with the 1990 Real World as the best acoustic performance released as of date

3. Though not as good as the 1988 Detroit release, the grand piano ending of Walk Like a Man was epic

4. Best Dream Baby Dream ever?? Was blown away by this specific performance

5. All I'm Thinkin' Bout Is You was actually... good? And catchy? As one of the most forgettable and worst performed songs on the D&D album, this was a very pleasant surprise. Didn't know it would translate this well live

6. Unique performance of Point Blank, but not the best version of the song by any stretch

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

Stray observations after only half listening to the show on Sirius XM:

1. one of the better shows in terms of the audience participation and overall mix of audience (specifically in Downbound Train, This Hard Land, and All I'm Thinkin' Bout)

2. Ramrod! That Ramrod is up there with the 1990 Real World as the best acoustic performance released as of date

3. Though not as good as the 1988 Detroit release, the grand piano ending of Walk Like a Man was epic

4. Best Dream Baby Dream ever?? Was blown away by this specific performance

5. All I'm Thinkin' Bout Is You was actually... good? And catchy? As one of the most forgettable and worst performed songs on the D&D album, this was a very pleasant surprise. Didn't know it would translate this well live

6. Unique performance of Point Blank, but not the best version of the song by any stretch

You're being kind. That version of PB was roundly slagged off at the time.

"Western Stars" is no longer the worst album cover in the catalogue!

And I feel like I just earned $9.95, since I'll be skipping this one.  Again, I'm happy for those that are happy about this release.

• Like 2

This was so much better than I remember from the bootleg. Proper sound can really make a big difference. By far the best Devil Download in my collection! Empty Sky, Point Blank, The Promise...sublime performances. And Downbound Train!

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

Tepid response to this show.  We're at 2 pages, 6 hours after release.

I think a lot of the online Bruce community has a massive case of blue balls tonight due to not getting a show with “American Skin (41 Shots)” which they feel the world deserved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
14 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

I realize this is subjective, but rating this above Detroit '88?  Come on now.

Good observation mate. 

Maybe I should mention this in future reviews, but my ratings (which I've said in past are trivial in comparison to the actual writing) are based more on the respective tour than they are every Springsteen show ever. 

I mean, yeah, there's a little bit of that as Passaic 19/9/78 is better than the rest, for example, but this being a 9/10 D&D Tour show shouldn't dissuade you or anybody else from checking out a ToL Express Tour show instead. They're completely different. 

Thanks for your reply, I hope I've cleared my reasoning up a bit, and I'll see if I can address this in my next actual review post. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, badlands78 said:

I think a lot of the online Bruce community has a massive case of blue balls tonight due to not getting a show with “American Skin (41 Shots)” which they feel the world deserved.

but we got bullet mic instead :lol:

i win ! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
19 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Good observation mate. 

Fair enough, mate.  Thank you for your sound and logical reasoning.

From my perspective, this show is chock full of songs the average, hell, the hardcore Springsteen fans do not care to hear.  D&D (the album) wasn't exactly the barn burner.  And that bullet mic:  Bruce could shove that mic up his ass and gas out a better sounding tune than the D&D tour versions of "Reason to Believe".  Just joshing here but others will get my drift.

Thank you though for taking the time to review all of these releases.  I read every single one and thoroughly enjoy them.

• Like 1

The best use of bullet mic, at least as far as what the archive series has presented, for me is Fire.

I never listen to any bullet mic songs outside of listening through a whole show, but that version of Fire from the previous D&D archive is an exception... fantastic to the point there are days it might be my favourite version of that song.

(The other exception is the 2007 Reason To Believe. That is just too brilliant to let one verse of bullet mic vocals stop me from revisiting regularly)

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2

Walk Like A Man... oh, my giddy aunt. Unbelievable. 

I had this on bootleg, I've watched the video of another performance of it on You Tube a few times.

But I've only just picked up that, aside from transitioning from the electric piano to a normal piano to signify the transition from childhood to adulthood, Bruce changes the way he sings at the same point also.

Yet again, thank you and bless you, Bossman

• Like 3
1 hour ago, WKE066 said:

That cover just induced motion sickness!!!!! 

who on earth designs these things ?

some of us want to be able to focus on the eye candy 

he should do some of those banjo songs with the bullet mic :lol:

i might like them more

i don't know why people don't love the bullet mic ?

9 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Thank you. The only review needed of The Archive Series. 

"And with an audience marvelling at everything Springsteen does and ensuring their contributions to the show enhance it as well as motivate him, this is a wonderful example as to why Springsteen and Sweden are such a good fit. All of these aspects combine to create the best Devils & Dust Archive Series release to date."

I am a little unsure of your opinion on the solo/acoustic Bruce, but very glad to read this review. Maybe a matter of age. The older you get ... 

And. Please let there be more TGOTJ Tour releases, too!
(Anytime I revisit "St. Rose of Lima Gym" - I rate it as a 10. :-))

This is the earliest D&D show released.
Two months after the tour started, and one of the last european shows of that tour.
We were adviced - in writing on the day and by email - to be silent and not to clap along.

• Like 2