Greasy Lake Community

New Archive: Stockholm 2005

7 hours ago, TheBoss said:

If my memory serves me, he walked to the front of the stage and sang directly to the crowd. That doesn't translate very good on a recording.

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

I think I read Bruce moved away from the microphone during Long Time Coming on this forum; probably in a topic about another 2005 show released in the Archive Series; but I might be wrong.

Today 4 years ago I saw Bruce at Malieveld in The Hague and over 5 days is it 15 years ago I saw the D&D tour. So I decided to download the new archive release. The setlist is for 80% the same as the show in Ahoy. So listening to this release really brings back memories. I am really happy with this new release!! 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

8 hours ago, Lampi said:

Was that not something he did every show at a certain moment during Long Time Coming?

(Question of course not to Daisey but to others who might know, or remember from a show they say in person; I can't remember from the 2 D & D shows I saw)

Edit: I think I read Bruce moved away from the microphone during Long Time Coming on this forum; probably in a topic about another 2005 show released in the Archive Series; but I might be wrong.

im sure ive heard that happen before maybe in the first D&D tour nugs release ?

2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Seriously though, this "Dream Baby Dream" is truly amazing. 

Seriously Paolo, I respect your opinion but for the life of me I can't understand how anything about Drone Baby Drone, I mean Dream Baby Dream could be considered amazing except for it's audacity. It reminds me of songs that have a big, repetitive driving wheel end part, such as Hey Jude but DBD doesn't even have a real song in front of to justify it's existence. It's just repetition. I know a lot of people like it but I also know from previous discussion that I'm not alone on this. Different notes for different folks.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

Seriously Paolo, I respect your opinion but for the life of me I can't understand how anything about Drone Baby Drone, I mean Dream Baby Dream could be considered amazing except for it's audacity. It reminds me of songs that have a big, repetitive driving wheel end part, such as Hey Jude but DBD doesn't even have a real song in front of to justify it's existence. It's just repetition. I know a lot of people like it but I also know from previous discussion that I'm not alone on this. Different notes for different folks.

I can appreciate that. It's honestly only been in the last couple of weeks for me where the song has gone from repetitive drivel to a genuinely intense and powerful performance. 

It might just be in those Stockholm and Trenton renditions but there's an extremely enjoyable motivation to Bruce's playing and singing that's changing my view of his cover completely.

Not saying that to try and change your mind or anything like that, more so just elaborating on why I found this one 'truly amazing'. 

• Like 2

It might sound like a cliché, but for full appeciation of Dream Baby Dream you maybe really had to be there, in 2005.

And the studio version on High Hopes is just dull.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

He also did it during the Broadway versions of "The Promised Land".

And also during the Joad versions of 'The Promised Land". 

Why can't they turn the sound up at that part so its all equal volume ?

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

It might sound like a cliché, but for full appeciation of Dream Baby Dream you maybe really had to be there, in 2005.

And the studio version on High Hopes is just dull.

Its kind of a case of becareful what you wish for

From the first time i heard it i wanted an offical release of the promise ...

LOHAD on high hopes i appreate the sentiment behind C's solo but LINYC is still my favourite

Same with DBD, those snippets of the D&D tour are magical

Sometimes i worry that we might actually get Electric Nebraska and it won't be how i imangine it in my head

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Its kind of a case of becareful what you wish for

From the first time i heard it i wanted an offical release of the promise ...

LOHAD on high hopes i appreate the sentiment behind C's solo but LINYC is still my favourite

Same with DBD, those snippets of the D&D tour are magical

Sometimes i worry that we might actually get Electric Nebraska and it won't be how i imangine it in my head

Wasn’t LOHAD on Wrecking Ball?

34 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

That would ruin the intimacy of the that particular aspect of the live performance 

Indeed,  as it was intentional action of Bruce/ Guess to gain a sort of silence/focus. If you would gain up the volume in that part on the recording, the whole effect would be gone and he could have just stayed close to the mic during the performance

• Like 2

I see Dream Baby Dream is getting some criticism.... I have n't heard the Stockholm version but I listened to the NJ 2005 version and I love the sparseness of it , it was a courageous move by Springsteen to do such a long hypnotic version in the context of his performance style , but it more than anything it gives a nod to the brilliant original..... and remember what an influence Suicide had on Nebraska....

Great article about DBD here .... most interesitng was that Vega gave the ultimate acknowledgement toSpringsteen by saying he was sick of people covering his songs note for note , but that Springsteens reinterpretation of DBD was so good that Vega could not imagine singing it in the original manner again....

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/oct/30/suicide-dream-baby-dream-bruce-springsteen-adam-curtis-american-honey

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

I love the song Reason to Believe, even if it is a "postcard from the abyss" as I think it was once called, maybe by Bruce himself. But I have to say I'm glad when the bullet-mic version is over.

• Bruuuuce! 1

On 6/13/2020 at 1:33 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Thanks Paolo. With your reviews you keep alive an old tradition of bootleg and assorted record reviews which were done in the past by an array of Springsteen fanzine's like Backstreets (USA), For True Rockers Only (UK), The ties that bind (UK), Follow that dream (IT), Roulette (NL) and Thunder Road (BE) and last but no least https://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/?s=Springsteen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, el sergio said:

Thanks Paolo. With your reviews you keep alive an old tradition of bootleg and assorted record reviews which were done in the past by an array of Springsteen fanzine's like Backstreets (USA), For True Rockers Only (UK), The ties that bind (UK), Follow that dream (IT), Roulette (NL) and Thunder Road (BE)

Thanks for taking the time to check these reviews out mate! It's also really nice of you to include me in the same sentence as those fanzines. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, el sergio said:

Thanks Paolo. With your reviews you keep alive an old tradition of bootleg and assorted record reviews which were done in the past by an array of Springsteen fanzine's like Backstreets (USA), For True Rockers Only (UK), The ties that bind (UK), Follow that dream (IT), Roulette (NL) and Thunder Road (BE)

Was The ties that bind (UK) the fanzine with the editor that then started the band Waterboys?

12 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

Was The ties that bind (UK) the fanzine with the editor that then started the band Waterboys?

He was yeah, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Scott_(musician)

Scott became interested in the British punk music scene, and began writing for fanzines, eventually starting his own, Jungleland. Scott was especially interested in the music of The Clash and Patti Smith, a tribute to whom, "A Girl Called Johnny", would become the first Waterboys single.

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1

Only just getting time to sit down and listen to this show. Loving it. Perfect for a Tuesday night on the sofa with big headphones on after a hard days working from home. A chilled listening experience. 

This is why I love the diversity of my Bruce archives. Friday or Saturday night it will be ESB with a few beers, but tonight, this show is perfect. 

• Like 7

On 6/14/2020 at 9:11 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Seriously though, this "Dream Baby Dream" is truly amazing. 

It’s brilliant. I loved the way he walked off the stage behind the curtain on this tour. A stunning stage exit. This version is the best I’ve heard. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1