Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Released a year ago today and I still love it. Best since the 1980s, at least for me.

I adore WS for various reasons, I was obsessed with it for months after it was released, and I still listen to the album very regularly. It's a therapeutic record, the strings and orchestrations are m

That’s exactly how a great Bruce album is supposed to be: artistically different, but Springsteen to the core. A masterpiece, IMHO. 

Posted Images

Definitely my most played album since the 80’s. I would estimate that of the 52 weeks of the last year I have listened to the album (or the later Songs from the Film versions) in about 52 weeks of it. 

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 1
1 hour ago, Frank said:

That’s exactly how a great Bruce album is supposed to be: artistically different, but Springsteen to the core. A masterpiece, IMHO. 

that's wonderfully put Frank

and of cause 100% true

• Like 5

Still love it, I have been playing other music recently but I have played the CD more than any other Bruce music.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
1 hour ago, Silvia said:

I adore WS for various reasons, I was obsessed with it for months after it was released, and I still listen to the album very regularly. It's a therapeutic record, the strings and orchestrations are magnificent, glorious. It widens up my mind somehow, works like a panoramic lens, everything seems wider, and the pain eases, as if it gets diluted by music. 

Thematically, best album since TOL, maybe even its sequel. Some very notable lyrics throughout the album. WS demonstrates that an artist should always follow his artistic calling, even if it means deviating from the usual, typical, and commercially more profitable. 

The only thing I hope for is that Bruce is going to sing at least a couple of these songs live eventually. If I ever get to hear MM live, I'm going to faint.  Maybe I should put this on a sign? :D

Funny, I was going to say, that the only other CD I have listened to as much is TOL. :) I hope we get to hear something from Western Stars as some point.

• Like 2

365 days later and I can't remember the last time I actually played the studio album. Songs From The Film is much superior for me.

My thoughts on the studio are mostly still the same, https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2019/06/13/review-bruce-springsteens-western-stars-2019/ whereas my opinions on some of these songs continue to change positively with every listen of the latter.

A masterpiece. I can't believe it's only been a year to be honest, it seems like it's been around for two or three for some reason. I still play it regularly and it really is one of my absolute favourite albums ever. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

365 days later and I can't remember the last time I actually played the studio album. Songs From The Film is much superior for me.

My thoughts on the studio are mostly still the same, https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2019/06/13/review-bruce-springsteens-western-stars-2019/ whereas my opinions on some of these songs continue to change positively with every listen of the latter.

Additional song thoughts can be found in these two posts: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/03/25/the-definitive-version-of-every-song-from-springsteens-archive-series-part-9/ + https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/05/14/the-definitive-version-of-every-song-from-springsteen-s-archive-series-part-10/

• Bruuuuce! 1

I still absolutely LOOOOOOOVE (both the studio and film) this album.  So so much.  

Agree 100% with what @Frank said above!!  

I wouldn’t say “best since....” as I never use ‘best’ (or ‘worst’ for that matter) when dealing with music, as those are subjective terms; and also I don’t compare his work with his work.  

Can’t believe it’s been a year!  

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1
28 minutes ago, lilbud said:

This time last year, around this time actually, I was getting ready to go to my HS graduation. Since Western Stars came out on the same day, I made a deal with myself to not listen to the album until I fully graduated. Only listened to Tucson Train, Hello Sunshine, Western Stars and There Goes My Miracle until the time came.

Didn't even get home until around 8 or so. Got out of my dress clothes and my robe, laid down on my bed, and put the album on. MM is the most beautiful song and I remember tearing up towards the end.

Might do that again tonight.

I considered WS a HS grad gift from and I first listened to it driving across Iowa and Illinois and it really hit me on that drive...

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

A superb album, ranking among his best, no doubt. The live version for me also superior to the studio. Touring it was never a likely prospect, but I am sure we will hear some of these tracks live once he’s back on the road again. Makes me wonder just what he might be conjuring up in lockdown right now. There’s definitely more good material to come.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Neil57channels said:

A superb album, ranking among his best, no doubt. The live version for me also superior to the studio. Touring it was never a likely prospect, but I am sure we will hear some of these tracks live once he’s back on the road again. Makes me wonder just what he might be conjuring up in lockdown right now. There’s definitely more good material to come.

A glass half full Springsteen fan :)

• Like 1

Still embarrassingly bad to me. By far, his worst effort to date. Glad (and honestly somewhat shocked) that many seem to enjoy it though.

• Like 4