Greasy Lake Community

I still think it’s as great as I did when it was released. An absolute thing of beauty. I knew he could still write great songs but I’m not sure I thought he could produce a collection of great songs that hung together just as well as these do.

The album is true, real and moving.

Love it. 

• Like 7
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Released a year ago today and I still love it. Best since the 1980s, at least for me.

I adore WS for various reasons, I was obsessed with it for months after it was released, and I still listen to the album very regularly. It's a therapeutic record, the strings and orchestrations are m

That’s exactly how a great Bruce album is supposed to be: artistically different, but Springsteen to the core. A masterpiece, IMHO. 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Me too!  Absolutely perfect way to start the album IMO.  Don’t think it’s a “weak” song at all, but hey... to each their own. 

Is there a weak song even on that album !

I don't think Bruce Springsteen writes weak songs

Sometimes a (lesser sounding to some) song just sits there in the wings waiting for the right moment to shine

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

Im seriously not saying this to be contrary but i have always loved this song and the album it came from 

• Like 2
On 6/16/2020 at 11:59 PM, Ibbhomero said:

I love Hitch Hiking and nobody will make me change my mind. I feel it like a catharcic meditation. It is healing for me whenever I listen to it. Undoubtedly everyone can express their opinion but ... I invite anyone who disagrees with me to meet with me tomorrow at noon for a fight in the mud.

I'd sooner fight in mud than listen to.... would make a good thread title.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 6/17/2020 at 8:29 AM, Ibbhomero said:

I love Hitch Hiking and nobody will make me change my mind. I feel it like a catharcic meditation. It is healing for me whenever I listen to it. Undoubtedly everyone can express their opinion but ... I invite anyone who disagrees with me to meet with me tomorrow at noon for a fight in the mud.

20 hours ago, TheBoss said:

I think it's a pretty good song, but still one of the weakest ("least strong")  songs of the album.

18 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Think so as well, however ironically I think it is the perfect song to start the album with....if that makes any sense.

I'll repeat something I wrote in one of the threads about the album when it was released a year ago. I agree that, in and of itself, Hitch Hiking isn't that great a song. But it's perfection as the starting point of this album became clear to me during a commute to work. I have an old school CD player in my car, and as car CD players are wont to do when a CD finishes it immediately restarts. When the weary beauty of Moonlight Motel suddenly transformed into the earnest youth of Hitch Hiking, it put into complete perspective why HH is the first song on the album. The difference in Bruce's vocal sound on the two tracks is amazing when listened to like that, to the point of being a real jolt. It really emphasized the journey of the record for me 

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 2
17 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I think you are the only one from Scotland that does make sense! :D

Ha ha - said from a safe distance.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

I'll repeat something I wrote in one of the threads about the album when it was released a year ago. I agree that, in and of itself, Hitch Hiking isn't that great a song. But it's perfection as the starting point of this album became clear to me during a commute to work. I have an old school CD player in my car, and as car CD players are wont to do when a CD finishes it immediately restarts. When the weary beauty of Moonlight Motel suddenly transformed into the earnest youth of Hitch Hiking, it put into complete perspective why HH is the first song on the album. The difference in Bruce's vocal sound on the two tracks is amazing when listened to like that, to the point of being a real jolt. It really emphasized the journey of the record for me 

There are two camps when it it comes to opening tracks on Bruce albums.

Firstly you have those massive anthems or big subject matter songs that define the album like like Thunder Road, Badlands, BITUSA, GOTJ etc.

Then you have the smaller songs that don’t define the album but give you the keys to where you start the journey. Songs like E Street Shuffle, Ain’t Got You, Ties, Nebraska. Hitch Hikin is definitely in this camp.

Actually, there’s a 3rd camp. Outlaw Pete lives there. Sshhhhh. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

You know, your pretty ok for an Aussie :lol:

;):P:)

43 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

There are two camps when it it comes to opening tracks on Bruce albums.

Firstly you have those massive anthems or big subject matter songs that define the album like like Thunder Road, Badlands, BITUSA, GOTJ etc.

Then you have the smaller songs that don’t define the album but give you the keys to where you start the journey. Songs like E Street Shuffle, Ain’t Got You, Ties, Nebraska. Hitch Hikin is definitely in this camp.

(Although I wouldn’t agree on Nebraska being a “smaller” song), I think you’re absolutely right with your main point. 
Hitch Hikin’ (and the following The Wayfarer, as well as far as I’m concerned) is a sort ouverture to the “proper” album, which is conceived as a classical piece.

• Love Love Love! 1
35 minutes ago, Frank said:

(Although I wouldn’t agree on Nebraska being a “smaller” song), I think you’re absolutely right with your main point. 
Hitch Hikin’ (and the following The Wayfarer, as well as far as I’m concerned) is a sort ouverture to the “proper” album, which is conceived as a classical piece.

Nebraska definitely deals with big issues but I’m not sure it’s an album definer. It certainly sets the tone for what follows though.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Is there a weak song even on that album !

I don't think Bruce Springsteen writes weak songs

Sometimes a (lesser sounding to some) song just sits there in the wings waiting for the right moment to shine

IMO, no... not one ‘weak’ song on WS. 

I agree.  I don’t think he has ever written a ‘weak’ song.  

You or I may not love or like every single song in his VAST catalogue (admittedly there are very few I dislike; as well as a few I could ‘take or leave’). Doesn’t make the song ‘weak.’  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

IMO, no... not one ‘weak’ song on WS. 

I agree.  I don’t think he has ever written a ‘weak’ song.  

You or I may not love or like every single song in his VAST catalogue (admittedly there are very few I dislike; as well as a few I could ‘take or leave’). Doesn’t make the song ‘weak.’  

34 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

We need a thread on this:lol:

I serously do not get the hate :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Something else, and not an original question, but: what was Bruce thinking when he decided: that will be a nice photo for the front cover of Human Touch?:o

Not that Lucky Town has a great cover. (or most Bruce Springsteen albums, but that's another topic).

Of course Bruce Springsteen has written some 'weak songs', and some very bad songs too; some are embarrasingly bad.

And quite some dull songs too.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Something else, and not an original question, but: what was Bruce thinking when he decided: that will be a nice photo for the front cover of Human Touch?:o

Not that Lucky Town has a great cover. (or most Bruce Springsteen albums, but that's another topic).

Of course Bruce Springsteen has written some 'weak songs', and some very bad songs too; some are embarrasingly bad.

And quite some dull songs too.

Don't you like man jewlery ? :lol:

Personally i wish more of his arm was showing as i find the his anconeus (i think ive identified the right muscle) visible when he's playing guitar very sexy

bruce-springsteen@1400x1050.jpg

Lampi when my father was part of the liberation of your country he said you were great people. I'm going to let your comments slide out of respect for my father.

• Haha 3
6 hours ago, gus said:

Lampi when my father was part of the liberation of your country he said you were great people. I'm going to let your comments slide out of respect for my father.

I give them a bye, too, for the same reason … and cos of Cruyff … and one or two more.

However, I agree with all Lampi said.  :)

My great uncle was behind enemy lines and was hidden by a little Dutch girl who brought him food 

Their grandaughter was named for her :)

• Like 4
8 hours ago, gus said:

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

• Like 1

I used to listen to WS every day at 430am in the dark with headphones on. Those days have passed, but today I was awake and resumed the ritual.

Its is a masterful work that continues to amaze me like nothing in his catalog.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1