Greasy Lake Community

3 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Me neither.  Like Real Man a lot... 

I had it as hands down his worst song until this last album came up with a whole handful of candidates.

Tastes differ. If you like it, listen to it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Released a year ago today and I still love it. Best since the 1980s, at least for me.

I adore WS for various reasons, I was obsessed with it for months after it was released, and I still listen to the album very regularly. It's a therapeutic record, the strings and orchestrations are m

That’s exactly how a great Bruce album is supposed to be: artistically different, but Springsteen to the core. A masterpiece, IMHO. 

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

I had it as hands down his worst song until this last album came up with a whole handful of candidates.

Tastes differ. If you like it, listen to it.

It's definitely worse than anything on Western Stars, but to its credit at least the lyrics provide a good insight of how he viewed his persona post-"Born in the U.S.A." back in 1992. He hadn't stooped to "moonlight moon bright" levels of lyricism. 

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

It's definitely worse than anything on Western Stars, but to its credit at least the lyrics provide a good insight of how he viewed his persona post-"Born in the U.S.A." back in 1992. He hadn't stooped to "moonlight moon bright" levels of lyricism. 

Throw some strings on their and have all the lines end with him singing them up and it would fit right in on Western Stars. 

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

In his 2016 autobiography “Born to Run,” Bruce Springsteen wrote about his fondness for hitchhiking, and the fact that he did it often, as a young man in the ’60s.

“Every sort of rube, redneck, responsible citizen and hell-raiser the Jersey Shore had to offer, I rode with ’em,” he wrote. “I loved hitchhiking and meeting people. I miss it today.”

“Hitch Hikin’,” evokes that enthusiasm, and the carefree days (“I follow the weather and the wind”) that are long behind him now. I don’t think it’s an accident that one of the cars mentioned in the song is a “souped-up ’72”: Springsteen was discovered and signed to Columbia Records in 1972, so that was a big coming-of-age year for him. In a sense, ’72 was his last year of innocence.

https://www.njarts.net/pop-rock/review-bruce-springsteens-western-stars-has-a-new-sound-but-familiar-lyrical-themes/

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 3
1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Still haven't seen the film

when this covid shit is all over come to NZ for the woman's cricket world cup and visit me and we'll watch it 

• Haha 1
On 8/13/2020 at 7:15 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

arrh I know why, sunland still haven't got any telly's yet..nee bother my mackem mate. 

You can come over to my house and watch it, we can have a beer or ten, watch the Boss and then have a bit football talk..until the police come and hoy us in our individual cells  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
16 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

arrh I know why, sunland still haven't got any telly's yet..nee bother my mackem mate. 

You can come over to my house and watch it, we can have a beer or ten, watch the Boss and then have a bit football talk..until the police come and hoy us in our individual cells  :rolleyes:

Fookin love you English blokes.

• Haha 2

Good album - kind of sags in the middle for me - loses momentum with that pointless nashville song and the  other slow ones with the titles I can't remember. 

Whole thing was outclassed by Arthur's last ride and accompanying song in Red Dead Redemption 2. One of the best Springsteen songs he never wrote

The movie is in Netflix here now, so I put that on last night because I was too lazy to take out a DVD and put it in the X Box player.

In my own defence, Netflix is higher definition than the DVD and the thing looked magnificent on the big screen.

I've posted about this before, maybe even in this thread, but I will post it again and again and again.

But the Moonlight Motel portion of this movie is the greatest song film clip Bruce has ever made.

Just watch it... the way Patti is framed in a ghostly light at points in the clip to emphasize the departed love of the narrator.

The album version is by far the better audio only experience of this song, but this film clip... far out, it's moving beyond words.

It should be up on the You Tube channel as a stand alone video

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, Bosstralian said:

The movie is in Netflix here now, so I put that on last night because I was too lazy to take out a DVD and put it in the X Box player.

In my own defence, Netflix is higher definition than the DVD and the thing looked magnificent on the big screen.

I've posted about this before, maybe even in this thread, but I will post it again and again and again.

But the Moonlight Motel portion of this movie is the greatest song film clip Bruce has ever made.

Just watch it... the way Patti is framed in a ghostly light at points in the clip to emphasize the departed love of the narrator.

The album version is by far the better audio only experience of this song, but this film clip... far out, it's moving beyond words.

It should be up on the You Tube channel as a stand alone video

high definition you say

of course its not available on netflex NZ :wacko:

21 hours ago, Demos said:

Good album - kind of sags in the middle for me - loses momentum with that pointless nashville song and the  other slow ones with the titles I can't remember. 

Whole thing was outclassed by Arthur's last ride and accompanying song in Red Dead Redemption 2. One of the best Springsteen songs he never wrote

The Nashville song is the second best song in the album.

• Like 1

David Sancious Rolling Stone interview

Rolling Stone: We’re getting close to the present here, but tell me how you wound up on Western Stars. Once again, you’re back with Bruce.
David Sancious: Again, a phone call. It was summertime. I was at home. The producer [Ron Aniello] called and said, “Can you come down to Bruce’s house for a few days? He’s working on this project, not an E Street Band project, and can you come down and play on a few tracks?” Where I lived in Woodstock, New York, and where he lives in New Jersey is only about an hour and a half away by car. I went down, stayed for a couple of days. It was easy. It wasn’t a working-all-day session. It was from 3 to 6 p.m., three-hour periods. It was fun.

A couple of my things were overdubs, but we did some tracks too with drums, guitar, and piano, like “Drive Fast (The Stuntman).” That was cut live.

Rolling Stone: It’s a shame there was no tour behind that album.
David Sancious: I said to him, “I don’t know what your plans are when you finish this, but if you plan to take this music out on the road, I’d love to do it with you.” He said, “Yeah, absolutely.” And here we are.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/david-sancious-interview-bruce-springsteen-e-street-band-eric-clapton-peter-gabriel-1044645/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bruce Springsteen returned to his hometown of Freehold, New Jersey to offer a surprise introduction to the first public multiplex viewing of his concert/documentary film, “Western Stars.”

Dressed simply in a brown jacket, Springsteen took a moment to say a few words at the AMC Freehold 14 movie theater on Saturday night.

“We knew we weren’t going to tour, so I tried to figure out a way to get the music to you,” the 70-year-old Rock and Roll Hall of Famer told the audience.

After making a few brief remarks about filming the movie at his barn in Colts Neck, and in Joshua Tree National Park, Springsteen asked a small favor.

“If you have applause, I would save it for the end of the film,” he said. “Because the editing and the pacing of the film has its own message.”

https://pt-br.facebook.com/brucespringsteen/videos/2198551527110880/

4 hours ago, el sergio said:

Rolling Stone: It’s a shame there was no tour behind that album.
David Sancious: I said to him, “I don’t know what your plans are when you finish this, but if you plan to take this music out on the road, I’d love to do it with you.” He said, “Yeah, absolutely.” And here we are.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/david-sancious-interview-bruce-springsteen-e-street-band-eric-clapton-peter-gabriel-1044645/

A missed opportunity for sure.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TheBoss said:

A missed opportunity for sure.

I was about to write the same. As much as I understand Bruce not wanting to tour behind this album, seeing David onstage would have been a dream come true.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, stillilllife said:

I've only listened to the album once. Been meaning to listen again but evidently something else always comes up.

do not listen to it at 2am lying in bed beside a sick spouse :(

pick a nice hot sunny day when you have zero aches and pains and feel like an invincible 16 year old

• Like 1
On 8/14/2020 at 6:15 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

its a really great film

thanks to Gus for giving it to me 

if your ever in Wanganui Paolo, we can watch it together 

• Like 1