Sign in to follow this  
BobbyJames

Neil Young Homegrown

Recorded during the middle of his peak, arguably one of the greatest musical peaks of all time, this album sounds fantastic! Anyone listening?

A6B77D3A-E89D-4DFD-AA46-A8C66661962C.jpeg

• Like 2

Should point out for those unaware that, despite being recorded around the mid-70s and ready for release, the album was only released today

Listening now, excellent. NY was brilliant in the 70s a bit inconsistent at times after that.

Real shame the track Homegrown only lasts 3 minutes. Hope there is an extended version somewhere? Star of Bethlehem is probably the strongest track on the album. 

Anyone else finding "Florida" annoying?

28 minutes ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

Real shame the track Homegrown only lasts 3 minutes. Hope there is an extended version somewhere? Star of Bethlehem is probably the strongest track on the album. 

The version from American Stars n Bars is also great, but not quite the jam you’re looking for!

2 minutes ago, riverdude2 said:

Anyone else finding "Florida" annoying?

it is what it is, I think - a classic Neil Young move, very stoned out. Doesn’t take away from the fact the actual songs are fantastic!

Loving it! By coincidence I did a cheeky post on my blog about old shakey today. Read it here:P

3 hours ago, wolfinthepines said:

Loving it! By coincidence I did a cheeky post on my blog about old shakey today. Read it here:P

Ha! Agree with a lot of this, except I actually quite like Landing on Water - probably the most different Neil Young album in terms of sound (even more so than Trans, I think - just something about the drum and synth sounds, as well as the guitar tones)

Hippie Dream is one of my favourite Neil songs

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

Ha! Agree with a lot of this, except I actually quite like Landing on Water - probably the most different Neil Young album in terms of sound (even more so than Trans, I think - just something about the drum and synth sounds, as well as the guitar tones)

I also loved Violent Side, particularly in concert.

Homegrown is kinda a mixed bag for me so far.  Really like some of the songs released later like White Line and Little Wing.  But I was listening to it in the car with the wife who keeps chatting :rolleyes: so I need to listen to it more closely by myself.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

It’s all very tongue in cheek. Yep, Hippie Dream is A great song. To be fair, I can find something to like on all his albums. I love the drum sound on LOW. I kind of see LOW like I do Human Touch - a guilty pleasure :).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wolfinthepines said:

It’s all very tongue in cheek. Yep, Hippie Dream is A great song. To be fair, I can find something to like on all his albums. I love the drum sound on LOW. I kind of see LOW like I do Human Touch - a guilty pleasure :).

You are bang on, they are both outliers in their respective discographies!

• Like 1

I think mid-70s Neil is about as good as it gets ... so yeah I like it - but a bit disappointing he chose to include already released versions (Little Wing, Love is a Rose, Star of Bethlehem) while classic outtakes stil remain unreleased ..

Neil covering ‘the times are a changin’ on his app. Very cool.