19 minutes ago, Judgeb said:

Was surprised to read his children weren’t baptized. 

So was I although I was pleased.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Thanks for posting that. Are we allowed to discuss it? 

I think if Bruce has spoken about something we are allowed, but I might be wrong.

53 minutes ago, Judgeb said:

Why?, Bruce is an intelligent human being

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, TupacThePuma said:

I must be totally thick then.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

As are many believers. He's also, specifically, an intelligent human being who has discussed at length just how deeply his Catholicism has affected him and continues to do so. I mean, even in this interview, when discussing that they're not baptized, he admits he's uneasy about that (no longer his) decision. 

Could you imagine being a devout Catholic like him, and should something happen, can you ever forgive yourself? 

I understand the whole you want your children to choose their own path, but...

2 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I have no proper response, I'm just getting in this thread before it gets deleted now. 

This board is totally doomed if we can't talk about this. 

• Like 5

Good read.

Some I agree with, some I disagree with.

One undebatable point though is that nobody with any familiarity of the two would say Colts Neck Is sort of in the neighborhood of Asbury Park.

I just wish he had talked to someone other than that gross hack David Brooks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Judgeb said:

I wasn't (surprised). He said in an interview some 10 - 15 years ago that his children were raised as pagans. He said that in a tongue in cheek way, but still I assumed it meant they were not baptized.

Edit: Further proof to the claim, I see he calls them "pagan babies" in this interview.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Could you imagine being a devout Catholic like him

Well, that's just the thing. I don't think Bruce has ever claimed to be a devout Catholic. Yes, I believe that he is deeply spiritual...in his own way, but I don't think you have to follow the teachings of the church as strictly as possible to be deeply spiritual. Just my 1 dollar.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TupacThePuma said:

So is Bob Dylan and he's definitely a genious. I am not religious myself, just pointing to the fact.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JustDan said:

Well, that's just the thing. I don't think Bruce has ever claimed to be a devout Catholic. Yes, I believe that he is deeply spiritual...in his own way, but I don't think you have to follow the teachings of the church as strictly as possible to be deeply spiritual. Just my 1 dollar.

Oh, I agree 100%. I don't believe you need to be Opus Dei to be Catholic. But I don't believe he would have said that if not deeply concern. 

4 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I had my children Baptized, receive their First Holy Communion and participate in Confirmation.  I lead them toward God and Jesus, but at this point it is up to them whether or not they want to continue because I won't force my beliefs on them. 

There was a period of time that I was a laxed Catholic.  I guess I can still be considered that by some because there are certain rules that I disagree with the Catholic Church.  I feel it needs to move a little more towards modern times.  I don't think you will go to Hell if you don't attend Mass on a weekly basis.  I don't know how I feel about Confession because I think confessing your sins in prayer directly to God should be enough.  There are also times that I question my faith, especially when you have so many people that berate you for believing.  But I do believe in God, I do believe in Jesus and I do believe in Heaven.  When I find myself questioning it I just look at the sky or a sunset or my kids and I realize that how could there not be a God.

That is my friend Jackie. Amen. 

• Like 3
  • Hug 1

53 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Oh, I agree 100%. I don't believe you need to be Opus Dei to be Catholic. But I don't believe he would have said that if not deeply concern. 

All the same though....He better get those kids sprinkled with holy water...You never know with the big guy upstairs. He's been in a bad mood lately.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustDan said:

All the same though....He better get those kids sprinkled with holy water...You never know with the big guy upstairs. He's been in a bad mood lately.

All he and Patti can do now is ask! They left it up to the kids now the kids need to act. And who knows the kids may think it's silly. Doesn't change how maybe Bruce and Patti feel. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

All he and Patti can do now is ask! They left it up to the kids now the kids need to act. And who knows the kids may think it's silly. Doesn't change how maybe Bruce and Patti feel. 

They didn't get the kids baptized when they were infants and had no saying . I guess it says how Bruce and Patti feel about this. If they were believers in the traditional way and belived what the bible says and thought baptized or not made any difference they would have baptized the kids when they had the chance.

• Like 1

Bruce has said he was surrounded by the Catholic Church as a child and clearly he often found it it suffocating. Perhaps he wanted to let his children be able to make up their own minds of what beliefs, if any, they would follow. 

• Like 2