And if he were a devoted Catholic, he would have been miserable, but still married to Julianne.

• Like 2
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/bruce-springsteens-playlist/613378/ New Bruce Interview. 

I had my children Baptized, receive their First Holy Communion and participate in Confirmation.  I lead them toward God and Jesus, but at this point it is up to them whether or not they want to contin

As are many believers. He's also, specifically, an intelligent human being who has discussed at length just how deeply his Catholicism has affected him and continues to do so. I mean, even in this int

Posted Images

2 hours ago, PaleGreenEyes said:

I just wish he had talked to someone other than that gross hack David Brooks.

Wow, I hadn't caught that. You're absolutely right about Brooks—he's awful. 

• Like 1

Being a Christian myself with  close family members of different denominations as well as atheists, I think Bruce may well be - still is a Christian, although he may not identify as Catholic any more. On the other hand his upbringing still has an effect on him in the way that he may have doubts about whether he was not too liberal with his kids in some respect, I think maybe he wants them to believe, but does not want to be dogmatic, and therin lies the tension.

I am glad when I find out an artist whose work I like shares my beliefs, but it does not affect my love for the art - I do not mind my view being challenged by it - if I only listened to / read work by artists I agree with a 100 percent, I would miss out on a lot of great art.  I do not llisten to artists relentlessly mocking beliefs of others  like Frank Zappa, who I think was a musical genius but at the same time an intolerant jerk  or black metal or artists seriously involved with the occult beyond a period of searching / experimenting in one of their  early career phases or artists whose beliefs owerpover their work to the extent it is propaganda or dan example of  hateful bigotry.

A work of art may be flawless, but the author himself / herself  is still a human being with flaws.

I read great works of art from authorswho were priests, atheists,  people  who collaborated with totalitarian regimes durinmg a certain period  for example, or listened / listen to a lot of blues music. Son House was  a convicted killer, lapsed preacher  battling with himself over the dichotomy of carnal and eternal.      I own several recordings by him and it is some of the most moving / beautiful music I have ever heard.

Just my two eurocents :)

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

The Religious stuff is interesting, as a Catholic, always interested in perception of the faith and church.  The Politics stuff is nothing new, he just uses new language to make known his love of Donald. At least he is a bit more interesting on this subject than say De Niro, whose used the same 3 words for the last 5 years.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I like how we've gone from wanting Bruce to release a new album to wanting him to get his bairns baptised. 

You can't say Western Stars didn't cure the majority's restlessness.  

What's also funny is everyone's been itching for a political statement from Bruce to discuss, and now we have one it's being ignored...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, JustDan said:

All the same though....He better get those kids sprinkled with holy water...You never know with the big guy upstairs. He's been in a bad mood lately.

I havn't been baptized but that is honestly the least thing I'll be worried about waiting at the pearly gates while St Peter checks the big book for my name

I don't beleave in purgatory either 

Im sure Bruce's kids will be fine

• Like 5

So his mom might have voted Republican

I have been saying for ages there will be Republican voters in his family

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I have no proper response, I'm just getting in this thread before it gets deleted now. 

I awaiting thunder bolt 

And not the kind that comes from heaven :lol:

There is a cloud of gloom over this interview that seems to have carried over from his DJing shows. Times are tough, but let there be light.

• Like 3

I think that Bruce realizes that the majority of people follow a particular religion, or are religious at all, because of what they were told in their formative years.

He says that his Catholicism is down to indoctrination and habit. Seems likely he didn't want his own children to have their choices made for them.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, TupacThePuma said:

Why?, Bruce is an intelligent human being

I don’t understand why it is necessary to be like this toward  people who have a faith . Disagree with them and choose your path but don’t be scornful about it .

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I havn't been baptized but that is honestly the least thing I'll be worried about waiting at the pearly gates while St Peter checks the big book for my name

I don't beleave in purgatory either 

Im sure Bruce's kids will be fine

It was meant to be tongue 'n cheak, but ok.

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, Judgeb said:

Was surprised to read his children weren’t baptized. 

Same. Good interview regardless.

19 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I have no proper response, I'm just getting in this thread before it gets deleted now. 

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn’t we be able to talk about this? This is an interview with Bruce so it’s relevant to this forum.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I don’t understand why it is necessary to be like this toward  people who have a faith . Disagree with them and choose your path but don’t be scornful about it .

Like what exactly? I'm quoting facts- faith equals a lack of facts

my children have not been baptized, I turned away from it after my parents forced me into sunday school, I just find the whole thing so hypocritical but each to their own

• Like 2

Anyway...back to the interview.

It was good to hear Bruce's thoughts on the current crisis. Would have been good to find out if he had any new songs in the works.

On a similar vein...i saw a Twitter quote from Steve VZ at the week-end saying he will be putting aside next year for a possible  E Street tour. Very much depends on how the virus behaves itself. Personally think we will have a treatment and a vaccine for Covid a lot sooner than was first thought, possibly by the end of the year.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

It was good to hear Bruce's thoughts on the current crisis. Would have been good to find out if he had any new songs in the works.

On a similar vein...i saw a Twitter quote from Steve VZ at the week-end saying he will be putting aside next year for a possible  E Street tour. Very much depends on how the virus behaves itself. Personally think we will have a treatment and a vaccine for Covid a lot sooner than was first thought, possibly by the end of the year.

wish I had your optimism, not just with this virus but any possible new variants, these things seem to be getting more frequent

1 hour ago, MacBruce said:

Almost a year's worth of gigs have been postponed this year and have to be rearranged for next year. Presumably, those crews and venues will get priority and any new tours may be shunted way back.

Absolutely fine to discuss the interview and what Bruce said.  Off topic posts will be deleted. Please send a PM to a mod if you have any questions or comments about the moderation of this thread.  Thank you.

This is a direst quote from the interview. 

Do we get a real practical conversation going about race and policing and ultimately about the economic inequality that’s been a stain on our social contract?

I beg to differ with Bruce on this topic. As an Employee and as an Employer I don't understand. 

Most know I have over 20 Bosnian Muslim refugees working for me(us). Most of their families came here with a couple hundred bucks in their pocket.  And built in away of life, and then some. Lost a couple of them here recently to them starting their own business's. But of course they don't count for being minority. 

We have one of the largest construction project in STL coming this year. $2 Billion in total, that has requirements of the following: 25% Minorities boots on the ground, 10% Women boots on the ground and 5% city residents boots on the ground. We as a company can only meet one requirement the city resident. We have put a number of requests into the union to help with these numbers. No help coming! So we could matters into our own hands, put adds in the local paper asking applications. To date 80% white 20% black and 0 women have answered our application. And of the 100% only 35% will even take a drug test.

So I think most of us in this world know what needs to be done. We need help from the community. As for as Bruce's quote, policing is a different matter I have no idea about. 

• Like 2

Interesting interview ad a good read.

Good to see the old fire still burning, hopefully more of this in the run up to November.

I love the phrase "the economic inequality that’s been a stain on our social contract".

Says it all about about the post-Thatcher UK as well as, I'd speculate, the U.S..

• Like 3