I’m pretty sure I read this entire thread as it was unfolding and I didn’t see anything wrong with any of the posts. Maybe the mods could create a post that quotes some of the deleted posts so the rest of us have an idea of what doesn’t belong here so it would be easier for the rest of us to understand? Just a thought.

On the religion topic, I always find the people 100% sure about their belief to be disingenuous and somewhat scary. I am a devout Catholic. Baron and raised, walked away from it in my late teens/early 20s before returning after studying up on it a bit. Yet I would never tell you it is the right religion and your religion is wrong. I believe strongly in God, yet I would never honestly tell you I know God exists as a fact. I have no problem with an atheist or an agnostic who acknowledges that they don’t know 100% that they are right the same way I don’t have a problem with a person of faith who will acknowledge the possibility that they are wrong.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

This is a direst quote from the interview. 

Do we get a real practical conversation going about race and policing and ultimately about the economic inequality that’s been a stain on our social contract?

I beg to differ with Bruce on this topic. As an Employee and as an Employer I don't understand. 

Most know I have over 20 Bosnian Muslim refugees working for me(us). Most of their families came here with a couple hundred bucks in their pocket.  And built in away of life, and then some. Lost a couple of them here recently to them starting their own business's. But of course they don't count for being minority. 

We have one of the largest construction project in STL coming this year. $2 Billion in total, that has requirements of the following: 25% Minorities boots on the ground, 10% Women boots on the ground and 5% city residents boots on the ground. We as a company can only meet one requirement the city resident. We have put a number of requests into the union to help with these numbers. No help coming! So we could matters into our own hands, put adds in the local paper asking applications. To date 80% white 20% black and 0 women have answered our application. And of the 100% only 35% will even take a drug test.

So I think most of us in this world know what needs to be done. We need help from the community. As for as Bruce's quote, policing is a different matter I have no idea about. 

I’ve been having that practical conversation my whole life. And I find my generation (gen x, I suppose) has been having it as well. I think the protests (not the riots and looting, but protests) have been a result of that. 

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

I’ve been having that practical conversation my whole life. And I find my generation (gen x, I suppose) has been having it as well. I think the protests (not the riots and looting, but protests) have been a result of that. 

Not trying to start anything here, but what do you mean? 

The riots(I mean protests) are about BLM. We in the construction world are trying to help, we really are only asking for a few things in turn. A hard days work in a drug free work place. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Promise61 said:

There is a cloud of gloom over this interview that seems to have carried over from his DJing shows. Times are tough, but let there be light.

I know what you are saying, but I don’t think we are out of the gloom yet, unfortunately. Still some time to go.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

Maybe the mods could create a post that quotes some of the deleted posts so the rest of us have an idea of what doesn’t belong here so it would be easier for the rest of us to understand? Just a thought.

Yes. Sometimes it feels like you are on a dark highway and the white line you are supposed to walk on is invisible. Other times it feels like the line has been moved.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kburke said:

I don’t think we are out of the gloom yet, unfortunately. Still some time to go.  

On a wide variety of levels, sadly.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Not trying to start anything here, but what do you mean? 

The riots(I mean protests) are about BLM. We in the construction world are trying to help, we really are only asking for a few things in turn. A hard days work in a drug free work place. 

The discussion about race. I’m not getting into the BLM stuff, just the basic race relations stuff. I venture to say that just general race relations are far, far better today than they were in the 60s. Not media driven discussion about race but the basic, day-to-day relationships between people of different races. The practical discussion  has been ongoing and has continued to improve.

I really have no idea about your business and take you at your word. I wasn’t really meaning to address that part of your post.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

That was a good interview!  Thanks Bruce!!!

Hi Cowgirl, nice to see you.

20 minutes ago, jmw said:

Hi Cowgirl, nice to see you.

Thanks, nice to see you too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

This is a direst quote from the interview. 

Do we get a real practical conversation going about race and policing and ultimately about the economic inequality that’s been a stain on our social contract?

I beg to differ with Bruce on this topic. As an Employee and as an Employer I don't understand. 

Most know I have over 20 Bosnian Muslim refugees working for me(us). Most of their families came here with a couple hundred bucks in their pocket.  And built in away of life, and then some. Lost a couple of them here recently to them starting their own business's. But of course they don't count for being minority. 

We have one of the largest construction project in STL coming this year. $2 Billion in total, that has requirements of the following: 25% Minorities boots on the ground, 10% Women boots on the ground and 5% city residents boots on the ground. We as a company can only meet one requirement the city resident. We have put a number of requests into the union to help with these numbers. No help coming! So we could matters into our own hands, put adds in the local paper asking applications. To date 80% white 20% black and 0 women have answered our application. And of the 100% only 35% will even take a drug test.

So I think most of us in this world know what needs to be done. We need help from the community. As for as Bruce's quote, policing is a different matter I have no idea about. 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/300041072/40anhour-jobs-going-but-where-are-the-applicants

And Regarding the drug test, I know just before i left Waikanae one of our oppositions, a very large firm who was not geered toward the DIY market - had changed their drug policy because so many people were failing it 

3 hours ago, Jertucky said:

I’m pretty sure I read this entire thread as it was unfolding and I didn’t see anything wrong with any of the posts. Maybe the mods could create a post that quotes some of the deleted posts so the rest of us have an idea of what doesn’t belong here so it would be easier for the rest of us to understand? Just a thought.

On the religion topic, I always find the people 100% sure about their belief to be disingenuous and somewhat scary. I am a devout Catholic. Baron and raised, walked away from it in my late teens/early 20s before returning after studying up on it a bit. Yet I would never tell you it is the right religion and your religion is wrong. I believe strongly in God, yet I would never honestly tell you I know God exists as a fact. I have no problem with an atheist or an agnostic who acknowledges that they don’t know 100% that they are right the same way I don’t have a problem with a person of faith who will acknowledge the possibility that they are wrong.

Im ganna try and sneak into Cathloic heaven 

Cathloic heaven vs protestant heaven

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

That’s funny and pretty much my hopes for the Catholic afterlife.

If i can't get in with the Catholics im sure Tinky can get me in through the cat door

42e8248f92db43ac258a1ea6ea45a224.jpg

c43a3240f9c705868a1f5ccfa0002af8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Haha 1

Springsteen: I’ve always felt everybody has this moral, spiritual geography, emotional geography, inside themselves. You may live in Barcelona, but you can feel you’re related to Asbury Park, some place you may never go. But if a songwriter is writing well and is writing about the human condition, you’ll take them there. They’ll get there. We have our greatest audience overseas—I think two-thirds to more of our audience now is in Europe. People are still captured by and deeply interested in America, what’s going on here and the American myth. The American story is a worldwide story, and it continues to have tremendous power.

Am I reading this wrong, or is Bruce saying that we're attracted to his music because we're interested in America? 
Certainly not true in my case. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Am I reading this wrong, or is Bruce saying that we're attracted to his music because we're interested in America? 

I think you are reading it right.  Bruce writes about America so therefore everyone must be interested.

Bruce has become an arrogant, white-privileged, blame-America-first elitist who has built the last 20 years of his career on exploiting mental illness and pretending to hate the country that made him rich.  If Bruce loves Europe so much, let him relocate there.  But it’s much more profitable for him to stay in the USA or On Broadway.

I’m only still a fan because the albums and performances he created with the E Street Band are some of the best on earth.  The Nugs releases continue to remind me of how good he and the band were.

• Haha 2

Well i loved American before i was a Springsteen fan but i love it even more since becoming a Bruce fan

But then im not a European

1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

I think you are reading it right.  Bruce writes about America so therefore everyone must be interested.

Bruce has become an arrogant, white-privileged, blame-America-first elitist who has built the last 20 years of his career on exploiting mental illness and pretending to hate the country that made him rich.  If Bruce loves Europe so much, let him relocate there.  But it’s much more profitable for him to stay in the USA or On Broadway.

I’m only still a fan because the albums and performances he created with the E Street Band are some of the best on earth.  The Nugs releases continue to remind me of how good he and the band were.

That’s pretty harsh. I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but it’s harsh nonetheless. 
Does this reach the criteria of deletable posts?

3 hours ago, Rizla said:

It is a strange quote, teetering on the edge of that America-centric nonsense that comes from some folks in that country. (You know, the types that ignorantly and without any trace of humour honestly believe there are only two types of people... Americans and those that want to be Americans). I'm sure Bruce isn't truly of that mindset.

And he's selling his art very short limiting it to just being about America... I love the mythic America he colours his songs with, but it certainly isn't what brought me to his music or keeps me listening to it.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

It is a strange quote

And he's selling his art very short limiting it to just being about America... I love the mythic America he colours his songs with, but it certainly isn't what brought me to his music or keeps me listening to it.

I agree.  I’ve liked Bruce and his music for most of my life, but it’s never been the American aspect that drew me to it.  At all.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

It is a strange quote, teetering on the edge of that America-centric nonsense that comes from some folks in that country. (You know, the types that ignorantly and without any trace of humour honestly believe there are only two types of people... Americans and those that want to be Americans). I'm sure Bruce isn't truly of that mindset.

I took the quote to mean the thematic, or even quasi-socialogical, rather than the geographical.

His art,his storytelling, is set overtly in America.

But the moral compass therein travels well and speaks to people in Newcastle as accurately as it does to people in New Jersey.

• Like 5

I saw the quote as being more about the influence that American culture has had and that his songs are part of that. Like many good writers, he writes about what he knows, but the themes are universal. So whilst, in your mind's eye, you might be picturing a scene in America, it still works if you move it to your town.

I think if you had zero interest in American culture, you probably wouldn't be much of a fan of his music, but that doesn't mean you need to revere America. 

• Like 7

I like the universal, human aspect of his music. The typical American ingredients I don't like so much, but you have to take the bad with the good. He's a very good song writer. I would probably had enjoyed his music more if he was an European song writer. I generally prefer British rock/pop/folk music over American. Sometimes an American arrogance or patrotism shines through in comments that he makes, like he deep down thinks that the USA despite all its faults and failures, racism, economic injustice and flawed political system is somehow superior to Europe and that his music serves the purpose of spreading "American values" to Europe and around the world.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whispered secret said:

I saw the quote as being more about the influence that American culture has had and that his songs are part of that. Like many good writers, he writes about what he knows, but the themes are universal. So whilst, in your mind's eye, you might be picturing a scene in America, it still works if you move it to your town.

I think if you had zero interest in American culture, you probably wouldn't be much of a fan of his music, but that doesn't mean you need to revere America. 

It seems more like the opposite to me.

You may live in Barcelona, but you can feel you’re related to Asbury Park, some place you may never go. But if a songwriter is writing well and is writing about the human condition, you’ll take them there. They’ll get there.

Us poor unfortunates living in shitty places like Barcelona :rolleyes: can be mentally transported by Bruce's music to the heaven that is the USA.

And I've been a fan of his music for years despite having no particular interest in American culture per se.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheBoss said:

I like the universal, human aspect of his music. The typical American ingredients I don't like so much, but you have to take the bad with the good. He's a very good song writer. I would probably had enjoyed his music more if he was an European song writer. I generally prefer British rock/pop/folk music over American. Sometimes an American arrogance or patrotism shines through in comments that he makes, like he deep down thinks that the USA despite all its faults and failures, racism, economic injustice and flawed political system is somehow superior to Europe and that his music serves the purpose of spreading "American values" to Europe and around the world.

Im not sure about Europe but if Bruce had been British i see a huge chip on his shoulder that would have completly turned me off

He has just enough Anerican sunshine to light up the darkness