Greasy Lake Community

27 years ago

The benefit concert that rocked the house

1993-06-24 - BRENDAN BYRNE ARENA, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

Soundcheck: HAVING A PARTY (with Southside Johnny, Steven Van Zandt, Patti Scialfa, and The Miami Horns) / IT'S ALL RIGHT (with Southside Johnny, Steven Van Zandt, Patti Scialfa, and The Miami Horns) / BETTER DAYS / LUCKY TOWN / BRILLIANT DISGUISE (with Patti Scialfa)

I AIN'T GOT NO HOME (with Joe Ely) / SEEDS / ADAM RAISED A CAIN / THIS HARD LAND / BETTER DAYS / LUCKY TOWN / ATLANTIC CITY / 57 CHANNELS (AND NOTHIN' ON) / BADLANDS / SATAN'S JEWELED CROWN / MY HOMETOWN / LEAP OF FAITH / MAN'S JOB / ROLL OF THE DICE / DOES THIS BUS STOP AT 82ND STREET? / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / BRILLIANT DISGUISE (with Patti Scialfa) / HUMAN TOUCH (with Patti Scialfa) / THE RIVER / WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN / SOULS OF THE DEPARTED / LIVING PROOF / BORN IN THE U.S.A. / LIGHT OF DAY / SETTLE FOR LOVE (with Joe Ely) / GLORY DAYS (with Steven Van Zandt) / THUNDER ROAD / IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME (with Southside Johnny, Steven Van Zandt, and The Miami Horns) / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT (with Clarence Clemons, Steven Van Zandt, and The Miami Horns) / BORN TO RUN (with Clarence Clemons and Steven Van Zandt) / MY BEAUTIFUL REWARD / BLOWIN' DOWN THIS ROAD (with Joe Ely, Soozie Tyrell, and Patti Scialfa) / HAVING A PARTY (with Southside Johnny, Steven Van Zandt, Patti Scialfa, and The Miami Horns) / JERSEY GIRL (with Max Weinberg and The Miami Horns) / IT'S ALL RIGHT (with Southside Johnny, Steven Van Zandt and The Miami Horns)

Concert To Fight Hunger to benefit World Hunger Year, The Food & Hunger Hotline and The Community Food Bank Of New Jersey. A night of many guests: Joe Ely plays guitar and sings on "I Ain't Got No Home", "Settle For Love" and "Blowin' Down This Road". Patti Scialfa plays guitar and sings on "Brilliant Disguise", "Human Touch", "Blowin' Down This Road", and "Having A Party". Steven Van Zandt plays guitar and sings on "Glory Days", "It's Been A Long Time", "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out", "Born To Run", "Having A Party", and "It's All Right". The Miami Horns guest on "It's Been A Long Time", "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out", "Having A Party", "Jersey Girl", and "It's All Right". Clarence Clemons plays saxophone on "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out", and "Born To Run". Southside Johnny sings on "It's Been A Long Time", Having A Party", "It's All Right". Soozie Tyrell plays violin on "Blowin' Down This Road". Max Weinberg drums on "Jersey Girl". "Roll Of The Dice" includes "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love". "The Star-Spangled Banner" is played as a lead-in to "Born In The U.S.A.". First ever Springsteen performances in the U.S. of "Satan's Jeweled Crown", "Settle For Love", and "Blowin' Down This Road".

133771900_1993-06-24stubcopy.jpg.2a23e6e32fab32c9afc9347b8b4eb5f0.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

49 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Best Seeds ever!!

When The Big Man came out during 10th. deafening!

$30

And for those who don't know that arena, the floor had 9 sections. 1-2-3 across the back, with a slight rise built in. 4-5-6 across the middle, and 7-8-9 across the front of the stage. So Sec 8 Row U was 20th row. Yes, it was LOUD! Just one wore time when the phrase, "Could not hear myself think," made sense.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2

29 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I was lucky enough to be there that night... :wub:

(Sorry about the sideways photos...)

6CB1D8FC-368D-4960-9C36-AA4BA6BCDE84.jpeg

959701F9-6225-438F-A12D-5D47CEE0D75C.jpeg

A56EEA69-CD27-45DC-9DC6-1B664A324129.jpeg

That's an awsome setlist

But its the volume Jim talks about i really envy you !

• Hug 1

3 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I was lucky enough to be there that night... :wub:

(Sorry about the sideways photos...)

6CB1D8FC-368D-4960-9C36-AA4BA6BCDE84.jpeg

959701F9-6225-438F-A12D-5D47CEE0D75C.jpeg

A56EEA69-CD27-45DC-9DC6-1B664A324129.jpeg

I was there too!  I’ve got to find my stub and post it sideways too! :D 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

I played this show today in full.

Better than when it was first released. I particularly enjoy the vocal on BiUSA. Very very good.

Taking some more time to go back and revisit the ones that didn't blow you away the first few times almost always ends on a high note.

I've been revisiting Belfast 96 and Philly 09 for my next Previously from the Springsteen archive reviews and even though I thought they were decent shows already, I've been really impressed with a lot of what I've heard. 

• Like 1

I cut and pasted the top thread to a good friend / Bruce buddy of mine yesterday (we have done many shows, in several countries together) as I was sure he was at this one - and I was pointing out that it was 27 years to the day!  He replied this morning to tell me that he and his then partner flew over with no tickets (thought they'd have a holiday "whatever") and scored tickets in the afternoon in the parking lot during the tail gating AND tickets for the next night at MSG as well. He said "great memories" and then he put "27 years - fuck we're getting old!" ha! (both 62 for the record - but stuck in our heads at 32!!!). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BruceWho said:

I cut and pasted the top thread to a good friend / Bruce buddy of mine yesterday (we have done many shows, in several countries together) as I was sure he was at this one - and I was pointing out that it was 27 years to the day!  He replied this morning to tell me that he and his then partner flew over with no tickets (thought they'd have a holiday "whatever") and scored tickets in the afternoon in the parking lot during the tail gating AND tickets for the next night at MSG as well. He said "great memories" and then he put "27 years - fuck we're getting old!" ha! (both 62 for the record - but stuck in our heads at 32!!!). 

The MSG show (Kristin Ann Carr benefit) anniversary is tomorrow ;) Wait for it :) 

Two nights after the Meadowlands show Bruce and the gang came to MSG for a concert to benefit the Kristin Ann Carr fund. Several guests, several unusual songs, and my second Follow That Dream.

1993-06-26 - MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, NEW YORK CITY, NY

LONESOME VALLEY (with Joe Ely) / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / MANSION ON THE HILL / THIS HARD LAND / BETTER DAYS / LUCKY TOWN / ATLANTIC CITY / 57 CHANNELS (AND NOTHIN' ON) / BADLANDS / MANY RIVERS TO CROSS (with Terence Trent D'Arby) / MY HOMETOWN / LEAP OF FAITH / MAN'S JOB / ROLL OF THE DICE / BLINDED BY THE LIGHT / SETTLE FOR LOVE (with Joe Ely) / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / BRILLIANT DISGUISE (with Patti Scialfa) / HUMAN TOUCH (with Patti Scialfa) / THE RIVER / SOULS OF THE DEPARTED / WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN / I HAVE FAITH IN THESE DESOLATE TIMES (with Terence Trent D'Arby) / JOLÉ BLON (with Terence Trent D'Arby) / LIGHT OF DAY / JUMPIN' JACK FLASH (with Terence Trent D'Arby) / IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND (with Soozie Tyrell) / BORN TO RUN / GLORY DAYS / ROCKIN' ALL OVER THE WORLD / BOBBY JEAN / FOLLOW THAT DREAM

Kristen Ann Carr Fund Benefit Concert. The fund is dedicated to fighting sarcoma. Joe Ely and Terence Trent D'Arby guest. Joe Ely plays guitar and sings on "Lonesome Valley" and "Settle For Love". Terence Trent D'Arby plays guitar and sings on on "Many Rivers To Cross", "I Have Faith In These Desolate Times", "Jolé Blon", and "Jumpin' Jack Flash". Patti Scialfa plays guitar and sings on "Brilliant Disguise" and "Human Touch". Soozie Tyrell plays violin on "If I Should Fall Behind", the third arrangement for the tour. First ever performance in the U.S. of "Many Rivers To Cross". "Follow That Dream" is closer to the version played on the River Tour, with Roy's keyboard providing the backing together with the lovely back-up vocals. "Roll Of The Dice" includes "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love". "Better Days", "57 Channels (And Nothin' On)", "Leap Of Faith", "Man's Job", "Roll Of The Dice", "Light Of Day", and "Glory Days" are all performed, making them the seven songs played at every show of the 1992–93 World Tour including the two post-tour benefit concerts (although "57 Channels (And Nothin' On)" and "Light Of Day" were missing from the set at the 1993 rehearsal show, and the latter was absent from the 1992 rehearsal show as well). Sadly, this show is perhaps best known for the Terence Trent D'Arby "event". After D'Arby was booed Bruce admonished the crowd: "Terence Trent D´Arby… need I remind some of you rude motherfuckers that everybody onstage is my guest?".

1575174769_1993-06-26stubcopy.jpg.d2b6b78d92433f97ca3f4f08d1624cd1.jpg

• Bruuuuce! 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 10:48 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I've been revisiting Belfast 96 and Philly 09 for my next Previously from the Springsteen archive reviews and even though I thought they were decent shows already, I've been really impressed with a lot of what I've heard. 

I unintentionally set myself up for this post I'm making right here right now

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/06/26/previously-from-the-springsteen-archive-march-19th-1996-belfast-uk/

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/07/09/previously-from-the-springsteen-archive-october-20th-2009-philadelphia-pa/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We didn't talk about this one yesterday: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2019/05/04/new-from-the-springsteen-archive-july-25th-1992-east-rutherford-nj/

1992-07-25 - BRENDAN BYRNE ARENA, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

Soundcheck: CLUB SOUL CITY / OPEN ALL NIGHT (multiple takes) / CANDY'S ROOM / PONY BOY / ALL THE WAY HOME

BETTER DAYS / LOCAL HERO / LUCKY TOWN / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / OPEN ALL NIGHT / IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND / 57 CHANNELS (AND NOTHIN' ON) / BADLANDS / THE RIVER / LIVING PROOF / MY HOMETOWN / LEAP OF FAITH / MAN'S JOB / ROLL OF THE DICE / ALL OR NOTHIN' AT ALL / NINETY-NINE AND A HALF (WON'T DO) / REAL MAN / COVER ME / BRILLIANT DISGUISE (with Patti Scialfa) / TOUGHER THAN THE REST (with Patti Scialfa) / SOULS OF THE DEPARTED / BORN IN THE U.S.A. / LIGHT OF DAY / GLORY DAYS / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY / BOBBY JEAN / HUNGRY HEART / THUNDER ROAD / BORN TO RUN / MY BEAUTIFUL REWARD

"Open All Night", "Badlands", "All Or Nothin' At All", the tour's lone "Ninety-Nine And A Half (Won't Do)", "Real Man" and "Tougher Than The Rest" are added to the 30-song set - longest of the tour to date. First ever performances in the U.S. for "All Or Nothin' At All" and "Real Man". "Open All Night" is a new arrangement with Bruce playing the song alone on the guitar all the way through with help from Roy on the keyboards and Shane on the slide guitar before the full band kicking in at the end. The second set includes the last known "Real Man" and the final "Tougher Than The Rest" of the tour proper. "The Star-Spangled Banner" is played as a lead-in to "Born In The U.S.A.".

Who was there? Who regrets not being there (or being there even)? Was anybody at any of the other shows of the stand?

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

We didn't talk about this one yesterday: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2019/05/04/new-from-the-springsteen-archive-july-25th-1992-east-rutherford-nj/

1992-07-25 - BRENDAN BYRNE ARENA, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

Soundcheck: CLUB SOUL CITY / OPEN ALL NIGHT (multiple takes) / CANDY'S ROOM / PONY BOY / ALL THE WAY HOME

BETTER DAYS / LOCAL HERO / LUCKY TOWN / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / OPEN ALL NIGHT / IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND / 57 CHANNELS (AND NOTHIN' ON) / BADLANDS / THE RIVER / LIVING PROOF / MY HOMETOWN / LEAP OF FAITH / MAN'S JOB / ROLL OF THE DICE / ALL OR NOTHIN' AT ALL / NINETY-NINE AND A HALF (WON'T DO) / REAL MAN / COVER ME / BRILLIANT DISGUISE (with Patti Scialfa) / TOUGHER THAN THE REST (with Patti Scialfa) / SOULS OF THE DEPARTED / BORN IN THE U.S.A. / LIGHT OF DAY / GLORY DAYS / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY / BOBBY JEAN / HUNGRY HEART / THUNDER ROAD / BORN TO RUN / MY BEAUTIFUL REWARD

"Open All Night", "Badlands", "All Or Nothin' At All", the tour's lone "Ninety-Nine And A Half (Won't Do)", "Real Man" and "Tougher Than The Rest" are added to the 30-song set - longest of the tour to date. First ever performances in the U.S. for "All Or Nothin' At All" and "Real Man". "Open All Night" is a new arrangement with Bruce playing the song alone on the guitar all the way through with help from Roy on the keyboards and Shane on the slide guitar before the full band kicking in at the end. The second set includes the last known "Real Man" and the final "Tougher Than The Rest" of the tour proper. "The Star-Spangled Banner" is played as a lead-in to "Born In The U.S.A.".

Who was there? Who regrets not being there (or being there even)? Was anybody at any of the other shows of the stand?

As with the 'Tunnel Of Love' Tour from 1988 I'm not really 'feeling' it where it concerns 'the other band' performances. I've listened to the June 1993 archive release just once till now so it could still grow on me. In your review (excellent as always) you seem to prefer the July 1992 show above the 1993 show for better setlist continuity and better showcasing of the new band. Should I, in your opinion, get the 1992 release even when I not particularly liked the 1993 show? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

As with the 'Tunnel Of Love' Tour from 1988 I'm not really 'feeling' it where it concerns 'the other band' performances. I've listened to the June 1993 archive release just once till now so it could still grow on me. In your review (excellent as always) you seem to prefer the July 1992 show above the 1993 show for better setlist continuity and better showcasing of the new band. Should I, in your opinion, get the 1992 release even when I not particularly liked the 1993 show? 

Firstly, cheers for reading!
Secondly, if you're not immediately feeling it with The 92/93 Band you might be better off holding off for the time being, and for now just give a couple more listens to the '93 release (or just those unmissable versions of "Satan's Jewel Crown", "Living Proof", "It's Been a Long Time" and "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out"). If it eventually hits you that you're really enjoying several aspects of the show I'd say it'll more than worth checking out '92 because there is some good content on there played really well by the lads and lasses of the era.

I might sound like a massive hypocrite saying this, but there's no rush with these things mate - take your time with the shows you've got before jumping straight into the next ones, they'll still be there when you need them!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

@rosiejaneymary was at the show were the video for Leap Of Faith was filmed.

@Early North Jersey was at one or more shows too (in New Jersey 1992).

@BrilliantDisguise and @MadamMarie?

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

3 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Firstly, cheers for reading!
Secondly, if you're not immediately feeling it with The 92/93 Band you might be better off holding off for the time being, and for now just give a couple more listens to the '93 release (or just those unmissable versions of "Satan's Jewel Crown", "Living Proof", "It's Been a Long Time" and "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out"). If it eventually hits you that you're really enjoying several aspects of the show I'd say it'll more than worth checking out '92 because there is some good content on there played really well by the lads and lasses of the era.

I might sound like a massive hypocrite saying this, but there's no rush with these things mate - take your time with the shows you've got before jumping straight into the next ones, they'll still be there when you need them!

Thank you for the reply!

As i wrote before I really like reading your pages. You have a great writing style, almost a bit academic and I simply love the way you point out time markers when talking about things. That way I learned a lot as often when people point things out it's difficult to find out what they mean exactly. 

Don't worry about sounding hypocrite, I know you aren't. I've got 55 archive shows in the past 5/6 months and listened to all at least once and there is so much more still to discover. Basically I can say after 5/6 months that I like almost everything with the E-Street band, starting to like the 'Tunnel Of Love' tour (I do like 'Spare Parts', 'Tougher Than The Rest', Part Man, Part Monkey'), am not yet getting 'the other band' period and haven't even touched the solo acoustic stuff yet. After next week I'll have 6 days off from work and then I'll listen to the 1993 show again, not when commuting to/from work, but from a relaxing chair with a nice cup of coffee!  

• Like 1