Greasy Lake Community

Plenty of BITUSA tour material in the vault

Thank you, Paolo. :-)

It's frustrating that they haven't released a lot more but I think it's good to know that the shows are there in case one day they'll go crazy and let us have them.

• Like 2

If they filmed 'more than 80' of the 156 show tour then I'd guess that they're mainly referring to the filming done for the venue video screens. We know they must have kept that footage because of the clips in the BTR video. Filming done for that purpose wouldn't necessarily have been accompanied by multi-track recording, but you never know.

• Like 1

I remember at one time NFL Films was preparing a Bruce Springsteen video home release, and were  involved with editing some of the video shot from the BITUSA tour crew, mostly the 1985 stadium tour dates, which went out on a video feed to each stadium's setup.

I found a link that describes something along those lines, although it doesn't tell us exactly why NFL Films was involved, or who would actually own that footage. I believe that NFL Films operates out of South Jersey, so perhaps their proximity to Bruceco is the reason they were involved.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1987-01-27-8701060409-story.html

• Like 1

Welcome back, and as usual, I agree with paolo - great first post!

What I wouldn’t give for a sneak peak inside that vault... I’m sure they’re clearing out the live stuff fairly quickly, but I’d love to see how much studio-recorded stuff they have tucked away - what I’d give for an equivalent Bruce release like Neil Young’s ‘lost’ Homegrown that’s just been released... We can dream!!

• Like 3

Included in a MIX Magazine piece on Toby Scott from July of 2000:

"The Sony/Columbia tape vault, where the music is archived, is currently home to about 4,700 Springsteen reels, approximately 1,500 of which are live performances. Before Sony’s library was computerized, Scott had developed his own database for the tapes, which he now interfaces with the official Sony one."

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/recording-springsteen-live-toby-scott-372698

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
8 hours ago, estband said:

"The Sony/Columbia tape vault, where the music is archived, is currently home to about 4,700 Springsteen reels, approximately 1,500 of which are live performances. Before Sony’s library was computerized, Scott had developed his own database for the tapes, which he now interfaces with the official Sony one."

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/recording-springsteen-live-toby-scott-372698

It's possible that some or all of this was lost in the fire.

Edit.  No it isn't.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, estband said:

21 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

It's possible that some or all of this was lost in the fire.

Edit.  No it isn't.

This is audio as opposed to video though, isn't it.

• Like 1

On a separate albeit related note, just re-watched the In His Words tv special. Aside from the fact that both the LINYC and Barcelona 2003 clips used appear to be in vastly better video quality to the DVDs (and You Tube uploads of same), there is plenty more enticing unseen vault footage we are teased with. For the sake of all that is holy, get it out there. 

The little interlude from Growin Up in Buffalo as an example... for crying out loud, putting full song clips of that quality up on You Tube from that show alone would at least generate some small amount of advertising revenue each view. Compared to them sitting in the vault generating 100% of sweet f@#k all.

• Like 2

I do wonder what the plan is with the vault - I’ve mentioned it before but Neil Young’s website would seem an obvious choice for Bruce. Pay a small yearly subscription for access to his entire discography - Bruce’s fanbase is larger than Neil’s, so he’d rake it in following Neil’s success

From there just upload regular videos and content, although I doubt Bruce could entice us into the vault with promises of entire unreleased albums and films, like Neil can

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bosstralian said:

. for crying out loud, putting full song clips of that quality up on You Tube from that show alone would at least generate some small amount of advertising revenue each view. Compared to them sitting in the vault generating 100% of sweet f@#k all

On a similar note to this, I've noticed Bruce's set isn't included at present in the BBC's old school Glastonbury highlights this week. 

I'm not 100% sure if it's a money issue (it's probably that), but it seems to me that Bruce Inc. are still doing that old "no no we don't want the footage aired" gimmick they've been known to do over the years. 

• Sad 1
10 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

On a similar note to this, I've noticed Bruce's set isn't included at present in the BBC's old school Glastonbury highlights this week. 

I'm not 100% sure if it's a money issue (it's probably that), but it seems to me that Bruce Inc. are still doing that old "no no we don't want the footage aired" gimmick they've been known to do over the years. 

8pm on Saturday night highlights of Bruce's set.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kjrh

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, fadeaway said:
23 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

We know they must have kept that footage because of the clips in the BTR video.

Great point! 

The BTR video was actually made by the BBC.  When Hepworth did his second OGWT Special - Glory Days - which was made to coincide / promote the release of LIVE 75-85 box set the BBC were given access to footage that Thrill Hill had available. That programme had all the usual suspects from before scattered throughout it but with several new never before seen clips thrown in as well (and as we know extended clips from the tour finale in LA) - but the BBC were allowed access to other footage Bruce's camp had (which wasn't featuring heavily in the programme itself) in order to put together an ending to their programme - over BTR from the new live album.

Bruce's people liked the end product so much that when BTR was released as a single - from the new album - they used the BBC made ending to the Glory Days OGWT Special as the official video for the song! Of course the BBC people who edited what they had access to made use of footage from Wembley, Slane & Roundhay Park - wanting to give their audience something they would recognise in their programme!   We live in hope!?, but as some have said they should be getting on with it!!!, (given the demographic of a large portion of their audience, and those who can say "I was there" - and - Bruce himself!, no point putting this stuff out when he's dead!!!)………..hopefully THIS is the year, and with the proposed tour income cancelled they will be looking to cash in this Xmas! ha!...…..again, we live in hope!

• Like 5
10 hours ago, BruceWho said:

The BTR video was actually made by the BBC.  When Hepworth did his second OGWT Special - Glory Days - which was made to coincide / promote the release of LIVE 75-85 box set the BBC were given access to footage that Thrill Hill had available. That programme had all the usual suspects from before scattered throughout it but with several new never before seen clips thrown in as well (and as we know extended clips from the tour finale in LA) - but the BBC were allowed access to other footage Bruce's camp had (which wasn't featuring heavily in the programme itself) in order to put together an ending to their programme - over BTR from the new live album.

Bruce's people liked the end product so much that when BTR was released as a single - from the new album - they used the BBC made ending to the Glory Days OGWT Special as the official video for the song! Of course the BBC people who edited what they had access to made use of footage from Wembley, Slane & Roundhay Park - wanting to give their audience something they would recognise in their programme!   We live in hope!?, but as some have said they should be getting on with it!!!, (given the demographic of a large portion of their audience, and those who can say "I was there" - and - Bruce himself!, no point putting this stuff out when he's dead!!!)………..hopefully THIS is the year, and with the proposed tour income cancelled they will be looking to cash in this Xmas! ha!...…..again, we live in hope!

Wow, never knew this. So Bruce's greatest film clip was made with no involvement from Bruce Inc? Sounds about right...

• Like 3
15 hours ago, BruceWho said:

Really?

In the Backstreets article I referred to, it says that "most of the past year (1986-1987) has been spent working on five songs (presumably the five planned singles to be released from Live). Rosato is the producer behind the "War" video, the first of the five to be released."

Rosato gets credit for direction on "War," "My hometown" and "Born to run" on the Video Anthology. Purely based on tidbits, I personally think Rosato and co. were behind the BTR video. In Backstreets issue 22, there is a page-long article on the Glory Days-documentary where it says "The special opened with the Born to Run video, which was originally produced for this show," but no mention of who produced it. The Rosato interviews etc. online have him talking about working on the BTR video and in one he says: "At the end of the “Born to Run” video, which I directed for Bruce Springsteen, I froze a shot of bruce leaping into the air as if I captured still. That’s from my background as a stills photographer."
At the end of the Glory Days-documentary there are not many names mentioned and I don't know which company each of them worked for.
I have no inside info, though, so I'm just going with these.

That Glory Days documentary was devastating at the time of airing. It still is today

It looks like that the Rosato material is still leaking. This is a complete Johnny 99 much longer than the one shown in the Glory Days documentary:

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2