Sign in to follow this  
ProveItAllNight747

From Pain to Pleasure.

What Bruce songs did you hate for so long but now really like?

I've mentioned on here a couple of times in the past how Working On The Highway was irritating to my ears. For years it grated on me,every time I experienced it in concert I'd immediately look forward to the next song.

Inexplicably to me,I've grown to really like this song over the past couple of weeks,and now,dare I say it,am looking forward to enjoying it in concert the next time Bruce rolls into town.

Your turn.

• Like 1

I had a hard time with the brightness of Born in the USA on it's release.

I love it now.

• Like 3

For the most part I've went the other way. Loving a tune until I didn't.

I guess the one I hated and have come around to liking is, Western Stars from the film. When Bruce looked into the camera and said this is real.   

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

I've mentioned on here a couple of times in the past how Working On The Highway was irritating to my ears. For years it grated on me,every time I experienced it in concert I'd immediately look forward to the next song.

Inexplicably to me,I've grown to really like this song over the past couple of weeks,and now,dare I say it,am looking forward to enjoying it in concert the next time Bruce rolls into town.

Your turn.

It's really my fault for listening to every European Tour release ad nauseam, but "Working on the Highway" and "Darlington County" became very tedious with how much he was playing them in 2016. It got the point where it felt like he was trolling with them, the same way he trolled with "Sunny Day" in Glasgow at the height of the song's hate. Anyway, I like the BITUSA Tour versions of both songs and I also really like the Boston 07 version of "Highway". 

38 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I guess the one I hated and have come around to liking is, Western Stars from the film. When Bruce looked into the camera and said this is real.

I'll refrain from potentially spamming this thread with blog post links, but yeah there are a few songs on that album I couldn't stand until I heard the live album. "There Goes My Miracle" and "Hello Sunshine" are probably the two key examples. 

• Like 1

I would say I was indifferent to the Tunnel of Love album until the time when I started dating my wife and my father died. It became very poignant to me over a 2 or so year period. Now 20 years into a healthy marriage, I probably haven’t listened to it in its entirety in 15 years.

• Like 2

Reading title topic, I thought: 'but Bruce has never written a song about SM.....'.

'Hate' is a way too strong word for this, 'dislike' or 'do not like very much' a better description.

Crush On You, You Can Look, Ramrod, I Wanna Marry You; and in general the whole River album. Even if there are three songs on it I still don't like and never did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

"Working on the Highway" and "Darlington County" became very tedious with how much he was playing them in 2016. It got the point where it felt like he was trolling with them, the same way he trolled with "Sunny Day" in Glasgow at the height of the song's hate.

These songs are extremely popular with the general public.  That's why he plays them, no "trolling".
You need to remember that the vast majority of people at a Bruce gig only attend one.

• Like 3

Kitty

Except for Sandy i had a lot of trouble with that 2nd album

The boardwalk just didn't resonate with me and it felt/sounded too improvised and jazzy

But reading alot of Welby's posts and also talking to Rosie helped with that album

But what really did it was Max and his big band playing a long kitty at stand up for heros a while back (before it became such a big thing)

Now i just go wild for Kitty

I try to never write a song off because i don't initially take to it

Sometimes you just gotta wait for the right time

• Like 2

First one that springs to mind is Outlaw Pete.

when I first heard it I thought... what the hell!

Although like may be a strong word,:) I listen with a smile and enjoy it as a form of escapism- and transports me to - well I kind of imagine it being Arizona or the likes.

• Like 2

I have 2 that come to mind, Adam Raised a Cain and 10th Avenue Freeze out. I didn't hate them but I probably skipped them more than I played them until I heard them live, Adam on the Live 75-85 box set and 10th on a taped bootleg from the 20/8/84 Meadowlands concert. Back in 85 before I saw them on the BIUSA tour I remember listening to 10th on that tape for the 1st time and thinking how great this sounded live especially with the Miami horns and the "It's alright now" ending. 

They've never been skipped since.

• Like 1

Hate is definitely the wrong word. There is absolutely no Bruce song I hate. Certainly ones I don't really enjoy that much... for e.g. Real Man, and there would have to be something really transformative taking place for me to feel kindly about that song.

But there are songs I was indifferent to that I now enjoy, which may be more the experience the OP was alluding to. And the common thread for me is hearing a live version that makes me reappreciate the song.

Probably the major one that may shock some is Because The Night. I first heard Bruce's version via the box set, but that left me with just a 'yeah, ok' feeling about the song. I think cumulative live versions gradually grew on me, but the one that sealed the deal is the non- radio broadcast Passiac archive version. That is freakin unbelievable. Seeing and hearing it live between 2013 and 2017 a few times once Bruce found Australia I think helped also.

I'll Work For Your Love. Always felt a bit try hard for me, from the obvious but forced attempt to evoke BTR era Bruce with the Roy piano opening through the over extended Catholic imagery through the song. But he pulled this out as one of the acoustic closers Night 2 in Adelaide 2014, and I was transfixed. Beautiful melody that night, and all I heard was a beautiful song. Elevated even the original Magic version to a new level for me.

When You're Alone is a third. Never did much for me, but the D&D and Joad tour live versions from the Archives are magnificent. I finally got it.

• Like 2

One or two...not many.

Valentines Day; For years I thought it was a bit of a mournful dirge, but it has really grown on me. Tunnel of Love is definately one of Bruce's best ever albums in my view.

Adam raised a Cain; Noisy and shouty....but I get it now. The anger and frustration of the narrator of the song really shows through. Same goes with Streets of Fire.

• Like 1

I didn't really hate it, but for some years I was kinda meh about Drive All Night.  But then Bruce started playing it again at shows and I finally got it.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

It's really my fault for listening to every European Tour release ad nauseam, but "Working on the Highway" and "Darlington County" became very tedious with how much he was playing them in 2016

Yeah those double headers drove me up the wall in those days,very tedious indeed.

P.S. What happened to the Big Cat(AKA Coach Duggs) profile pic?

14 hours ago, Lampi said:

Reading title topic, I thought: 'but Bruce has never written a song about SM.....'.

'Hate' is a way too strong word for this, 'dislike' or 'do not like very much' a better description.

Crush On You, You Can Look, Ramrod, I Wanna Marry You; and in general the whole River album. Even if there are three songs on it I still don't like and never did.

Haha!S&M...'Reno' maybe,does that qualify?

Those River rockers are very mood dependant for me.

10 hours ago, Rizla said:

These songs are extremely popular with the general public.  That's why he plays them, no "trolling".
You need to remember that the vast majority of people at a Bruce gig only attend one.

No way are WOTH and DC 'extremely popular with the general public.' The likes of BITUSA and DITD are for sure,but those two?No way.

7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Kitty

The boardwalk just didn't resonate with me and it felt/sounded too improvised and jazzy

But reading alot of Welby's posts and also talking to Rosie helped with that album

But what really did it was Max and his big band playing a long kitty at stand up for heros a while back (before it became such a big thing)

Now i just go wild for Kitty

I try to never write a song off because i don't initially take to it

Sometimes you just gotta wait for the right time

It took me an age to appreciate KB as well!One of my favourite early Bruce songs now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rizla said:

Yes that is correct. 

Interestingly I've posted this almost word for word in the past... To the same OP :lol:

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

Yeah those double headers drove me up the wall in those days,very tedious indeed.

P.S. What happened to the Big Cat(AKA Coach Duggs) profile pic?

I was starting to feel that way about a few songs, "Badlands" and "Because The Night" in particular. 

And frequently changing a profile pic is good for the soul. Big Cat had has time (for now) and Duggs is a hack - Poopystinks69 (Aka Honk) told me so. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

No way are WOTH and DC 'extremely popular with the general public.' The likes of BITUSA and DITD are for sure,but those two?No way.

Oh, believe me, they are.   They are literal floor-fillers.   During the last tour I had a seat (unusually for me) which gave me a good view of the stadium floor.  The show hadn't sold out and there was a fair bit of empty space.  When Bruce struck up 'Darlington County' people came swarming on to the floor from all directions and started dancing.   That's when I realised why he plays those songs so often.

• Like 4

On 6/25/2020 at 7:25 PM, ProveItAllNight747 said:

What Bruce songs did you hate for so long but now really like?

Your turn.

I wouldn't say I Hated it before, but yeah, same song for me I think! I can't say I love it now either, but I definitely like it!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Oh, believe me, they are.   They are literal floor-fillers.   During the last tour I had a seat (unusually for me) which gave me a good view of the stadium floor.  The show hadn't sold out and there was a fair bit of empty space.  When Bruce struck up 'Darlington County' people came swarming on to the floor from all directions and started dancing.   That's when I realised why he plays those songs so often.

Both of these songs were 2 of the 5 off the album that weren't singles. So the general public don't know these songs? 

So maybe the people rushed the floor, because they are fun songs? Nothing wrong with fun, as I start listening to WOASD!:P

At The River 16 show in STL, Bruce pulled a guy from the audience to play WOTH. I know the guitar he was playing had no sound, but man was it fun.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Kitty

it felt/sounded too improvised and jazzy

I can identify with that. I still dislike those extended early live versions of NYCS that sound like he's got stuck writing the song and is trying unsuccessfully to figure out where it should go next. However I have warmed greatly to Kitty since seeing it at the WIESS show in New York in 2009. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

It seems it was David Sancious improvising on the intro to NYC Serenade and the rest of the band, and Bruce, playing along while not knowing where the song would go and how long it would last.

• Like 1

Radio nowhere

I had a really bad headache the day i brought magic

It was just so noisy 

I had to get out of bed and turn it off

I don't skip tracks so consistently id suffer through it becsuse i love the rest of the album

But after hearing lots of live versions ive got used to it and like a live version

I think some of the blame needs to be shared with the mixing of the Magic album 

Great question!  The album versions of ”Stolen Car”, “Two Faces”, “Gypsy Biker”, “Long Walk Home” come to mind.

I’m still in the “hate” phase for most everything on “Wrecking Ball”, “High Hopes”, and “Western Stars” but there is always hope.

• Like 1