Sign in to follow this  
ProveItAllNight747

From Pain to Pleasure.

5 hours ago, Rizla said:

Oh, believe me, they are.   They are literal floor-fillers.   During the last tour I had a seat (unusually for me) which gave me a good view of the stadium floor.  The show hadn't sold out and there was a fair bit of empty space.  When Bruce struck up 'Darlington County' people came swarming on to the floor from all directions and started dancing.   That's when I realised why he plays those songs so often.

That maybe true,but my point was there is now way in Hell those two songs are in the 'extremely popular with the general public'  category such as BITUSA,DITD,The River,BTR,Thunder Road etc.

1 hour ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

That maybe true,but my point was there is now way in Hell those two songs are in the 'extremely popular with the general public'  category such as BITUSA,DITD,The River,BTR,Thunder Road etc.

I disagree. Singles aside, the BITUSA album out sold everything else Bruce has ever released many fold. Presuming most people who bought it listened to the whole thing more than once, it's not unreasonable to think there is a large group of casual fans for whom these are as familiar as stuff like Badlands, Thunder Rd and Promised Land. If not more so... those three songs are essentially also album tracks, never released as singles nor regular radio songs back in the day.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Both of these songs were 2 of the 5 off the album that weren't singles. So the general public don't know these songs?
So maybe the people rushed the floor, because they are fun songs? Nothing wrong with fun, as I start listening to WOASD!:P

This doesn't make much sense.  If the people didn't know the songs, how would they know they were going to be "fun songs"?
And you think they wouldn't know any songs that weren't released as singles?   Maybe, just maybe, they bought the album which is one of the biggest selling albums of all time.  :rolleyes:  Or listened to their brother's/parent's/friend's copy.

I think Bosstralian has answered this already. 

11 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

I disagree. Singles aside, the BITUSA album out sold everything else Bruce has ever released many fold. Presuming most people who bought it listened to the whole thing more than once, it's not unreasonable to think there is a large group of casual fans for whom these are as familiar as stuff like Badlands, Thunder Rd and Promised Land. If not more so... those three songs are essentially also album tracks, never released as singles nor regular radio songs back in the day.

5 hours ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

Hmmm

Some deep thought going on here between you and Bosstralian :lol:

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Hmmm

Oh crap what happened to my post:D

• Haha 1

In addition to all this, Darlington County and Working On The Highway are also on Live 1975/85, an album many 'casual fans' probably also know.

(BTW I don't like the term 'casual fan')

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

Then we are broadly in agreement.  The two songs in question are known, welcomed and enjoyed by a large proportion of Bruce's audience. 
I have no interest in attempting to rank songs by general popularity.  

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Hmmm

You have to read between the lines.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Lampi said:

It seems it was David Sancious improvising on the intro to NYC Serenade and the rest of the band, and Bruce, playing along while not knowing where the song would go and how long it would last.

Its not so much the Intro, its the three weeks of Bruce imploring us to listen to the junk man mid way through the song. Once he's said it once, the next three thousand times are unnecessary. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Its not so much the Intro, its the three weeks of Bruce imploring us to listen to the junk man mid way through the song. Once he's said it once, the next three thousand times are unnecessary. 

Give him a break, the little stranger kept refusing to tell him what he was doing that night!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rizla said:

Then we are broadly in agreement.  The two songs in question are known, welcomed and enjoyed by a large proportion of Bruce's audience. 
I have no interest in attempting to rank songs by general popularity.  

That could be an interesting thread 

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

That could be an interesting thread 

Be careful what you wish for.

The Sunny Day kid could be very popular with the general public.

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

Be careful what you wish for.

The Sunny Day kid could be very popular with the general public.

Point noted 

13 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Give him a break, the little stranger kept refusing to tell him what he was doing that night!

Putting out the black or green bin?