Sign in to follow this  
JustDan

Dixie Chicks Change Band Name

This is so going to back fire now that the BLM movement is being found out for the racist movement it is.....

• Haha 2

It's time for the Washington Redskins to change their name...

1355d53b4116052c28d4dc9d111ae246.jpg

...or no new taxpayer-funded mega-stadium, you hear that Danny boy? No hosting SuperBowls for you. Besides, your team sucks ass anyway. Change the name & start winning games you twit.

15 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

image.thumb.png.81be198cfa126d186fcf89bdad8ffe9b.png

Is this an Asian snack ?

Sometimes its hard to know if they are taking the piss or they got a really deranged translater to name their brand 

7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Is this an Asian snack ?

Sometimes its hard to know if they are taking the piss or they got a really deranged translater to name their brand 

No It's an American as a brand can be. 

image.png.693fbf22d41e424cebae2bcea2639bac.png

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

It's getting ridiculous! Things and people have to be looked at and judged in the context of their time. What's next? Banning bands with all white or male members? What these people don't realize, is that time will turn us all into bigots. We have to show as much empathy to people of the past, as we hope people of the future will have for us. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LeoGetz said:

It's getting ridiculous! Things and people have to be looked at and judged in the context of their time. What's next? Banning bands with all white or male members? What these people don't realize, is that time will turn us all into bigots. We have to show as much empathy to people of the past, as we hope people of the future will have for us. 

Saw Stevie Wonder in 2008 in London.  HUGE band of about 16 to 20 people.  Can't remember.  They were all Black.  I wasn't offended in the slightest.  Why would I be?

Band were fantastic.  Show was shite.

• Like 1

If true that Amy Winehouse’s ‘Back to Black’ album being renamed ‘Back to Back’ (and approved by her father), then further evidence that the world has gone mad.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Royston Vasey said:

If true that Amy Winehouse’s ‘Back to Black’ album being renamed ‘Back to Back’ (and approved by her father), then further evidence that the world has gone mad.

In my opinion i don't think that is his or anyone else's call to make

Only she could have done that, its her art created by her

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 10:12 AM, The Chicken Man said:

This is so going to back fire now that the BLM movement is being found out for the racist movement it is.....

Anyone up for a Colin Kaepernick thread?

Look at the bright side: a couple more days of this, and we’ll eventually know the true title of The Beatles’ so called ‘white album’. ;)

Jefferson Airplane changed their name to Jefferson Starship and then Starship and nobody batted an eye. Strangely they got worse each time they changed their name. Lesson being don't keep changing your name or your talent disappears. 

These name change really in the grand scheme are harmless. Lady A? If you stop liking Lady A because of this it really says more about you than them. Dixie Chicks the same and others. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, THUE said:

These name change really in the grand scheme are harmless. Lady A? If you stop liking Lady A because of this it really says more about you than them.

I don't particularly like them, but I don't respect them for pandering to people claiming imagined slights.  There is no reason whatsoever why anyone should have been offended by their name.  It is a real stretch.

Antebellum is derived from Latin and means "before the war".  It has no connection to racism or slavery.  It is a word used to describe a period of American history and the styles and fashions of the time.  It's the equivalent of a word like Regency in the UK.   The band have stated that this was why they chose it. 

I find it offensive to be told that I may no longer use useful and harmless words because someone claims to find them hurtful or offensive. 

There's a film out soon called Antebellum.  Will that title be changed?  I hope not.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10065694/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Their reasoning was based on the fact that many of those styled homes sat on plantations built on the back of slave labor. Is is it a stretch , perhaps. It's also their band and the name is a representation of the three members. If they want to change it its their choice. If you want to use the word Antebellum in your daily vernacular your choice. 

Most fans call them Lady A anyway.  I dont think the band is telling you dont use the word antebellum.  They are making a personal choice to simply alter the name of a band which is representative of them personally. 

Not sure why anyone beyond those three people should be personally effected. It's going to be ok.

13 hours ago, THUE said:

Jefferson Airplane changed their name to Jefferson Starship and then Starship and nobody batted an eye. Strangely they got worse each time they changed their name. Lesson being don't keep changing your name or your talent disappears. 

Aw c'mon now. 'Red Octopus' was a very good album. 'Miracles' is a good song.

23 minutes ago, JustDan said:

Aw c'mon now. 'Red Octopus' was a very good album. 'Miracles' is a good song.

Jefferson Starship had some good stuff, but preferences to Airplane.  Then Starship, well we know what happened there. 

1 hour ago, THUE said:

Their reasoning was based on the fact that many of those styled homes sat on plantations built on the back of slave labor. Is is it a stretch , perhaps. It's also their band and the name is a representation of the three members. If they want to change it its their choice. If you want to use the word Antebellum in your daily vernacular your choice. 

Most fans call them Lady A anyway.  I dont think the band is telling you dont use the word antebellum.  They are making a personal choice to simply alter the name of a band which is representative of them personally. 

Not sure why anyone beyond those three people should be personally effected. It's going to be ok.

Maybe not directly, but they are feeding the agenda that everything that can be related to racism or slavery, however remotely, must not be mentioned or seen.  It's highly divisive and damaging, and stirs up anger and resentment among people who have never had a racist thought in their lives.  Stuff happened.  We need to learn from it, not cover it up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Maybe not directly, but they are feeding the agenda that everything that can be related to racism or slavery, however remotely, must not be mentioned or seen.  It's highly divisive and damaging, and stirs up anger and resentment among people who have never had a racist thought in their lives.  Stuff happened.  We need to learn from it, not cover it up.

Agreed that we need to learn from it. On the other hand, for those who have experienced racism & oppression first-hand to be reminded of it on a daily basis can also cause further resentment, anger & alienation as well. But I would also agree there are some out there who have merely jumped on the bandwagon for nothing more than getting their names on social media and TV news to drum-up publicity [See also: Kanye-Fucktard-West, who has a new record coming out next month, but says that has nothing to do with him wanting to be president of the U.S.]

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Aren't we learning about it now. Meaning by them changing the name there is discussion and learning. While you may not agree with the outcome there are people learning about the past, discussing the past, debating meaning, giving thought, debating change. 

10 hours ago, THUE said:

Aren't we learning about it now. Meaning by them changing the name there is discussion and learning. While you may not agree with the outcome there are people learning about the past, discussing the past, debating meaning, giving thought, debating change. 

Yes, I learn last week John Wayne was a racist no good piece of shit. Never knew that. 

41 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Yes, I learn last week John Wayne was a racist no good piece of shit. Never knew that. 

Never have watched one John Wayne film. Not due to his views but simply based on he just in my view was awful.  His views were troubling of course. 

30 minutes ago, THUE said:

Never have watched one John Wayne film. Not due to his views but simply based on he just in my view was awful.  His views were troubling of course. 

I guess thats why I never heard of these thing before, as I thought he was a very "B" actor. And never watched unless force to. 

2 hours ago, THUE said:

Aw c'mon pilgrim. Alright, so his societal growth was stunted & his politics blew, but he was in some great flicks..."The Longest Day", "In Harm's Way",  "The War Wagon", "True Grit". 

• Like 1