JustDan

Dixie Chicks Change Band Name

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

You don't live in Chicago do you?

No...but I sure do love me some Chi-town though

Chicago-based-Pangea-gears-up-to-launch-

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 12:33 AM, THUE said:

Jefferson Starship had some good stuff, but preferences to Airplane.  Then Starship, well we know what happened there. 

I think somedays im the only person in the world who really loves we built this city on rock and roll 

On 7/9/2020 at 5:53 AM, Eileen said:

I used to love John Wayne movies when I was younger - most people I know did too. Loved True Grit and other later ones as well.

I suppose it's like the argument about whether you should still like somebody's music even though deemed to be less than perfect in their eyes.

Arnt motion pictures art ?

We don't have to like the artist to enjoy the art 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, THUE said:

Like I said so you aren't effected at all. You thought they sucked then and now so who cares what their name is. Also there was NO outrage over either of their names. They made a decision to simply change their names, perhaps simply out of respect for the current climate. In the grand scheme of things not very important life altering decision that will effect anyone in the long run. especially those who didn't care in the first place. 

The fake outrage in this scenario is those criticizing them for doing it. 

I don't think this is just about bands or artists changing names. It's about that whole wave of political correctness coming over us. The Chicks dropping "Dixie" is just the tip of the iceberg. The iceberg itself is people losing jobs or getting cancelled for stupid remarks they made ages ago, studies about "controversial" subjects receiving no peer reviews because scientist don't dare to criticize them, and people in the UK getting handed jail sentences for posting stupid jokes on Facebook.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

I don't think this is just about bands or artists changing names. It's about that whole wave of political correctness coming over us. The Chicks dropping "Dixie" is just the tip of the iceberg. The iceberg itself is people losing jobs or getting cancelled for stupid remarks they made ages ago, studies about "controversial" subjects receiving no peer reviews because scientist don't dare to criticize them, and people in the UK getting handed jail sentences for posting stupid jokes on Facebook.

Clearly it is about them changing their names since its viewed as part of the political correctness narrative you noted. Its a component at least. Speaking to these names changes, since that is what the post was about; in the grand scheme so what. These two bands took it upon themselves and changed their names. The only ones really in the end that are effected are them. 

Interestingly does anyone recall when they were removed from all Country Stations, had their records burned, got death threats, were protested and essentially shut out of the industry for a bit. Why because they said something about the President, which now is essentially every moment of every second of the day. Talk about cancel culture. The Hypocrisy towards them is hysterical. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, THUE said:

Clearly it is about them changing their names since its viewed as part of the political correctness narrative you noted. Its a component at least. Speaking to these names changes, since that is what the post was about; in the grand scheme so what. These two bands took it upon themselves and changed their names. The only ones really in the end that are effected are them. 

Interestingly does anyone recall when they were removed from all Country Stations, had their records burned, got death threats, were protested and essentially shut out of the industry for a bit. Why because they said something about the President, which now is essentially every moment of every second of the day. Talk about cancel culture. The Hypocrisy towards them is hysterical. 

tenor.gif

I like the Dixie Chicks...I dont like the fact they have changed their name..

Looking forward to David Coverdale and Blacksnake though.

10 minutes ago, The Chicken Man said:

I like the Dixie Chicks...I dont like the fact they have changed their name..

Looking forward to David Coverdale and Blacksnake though.

um....I think they broke up many moons ago...They got skewered by Robert Plant in an interview back in the late 80s & I think they went downhill right after that..unless they've gotten back together to tour the oldies circuit.

Slide it In -Whitesnake , great hard rock album. Just sayin....

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, JustDan said:

um....I think they broke up many moons ago...They got skewered by Robert Plant in an interview back in the late 80s & I think they went downhill right after that..unless they've gotten back together to tour the oldies circuit.

WHOOSH2.jpg.cbc029be9c95ad6136456a5ed1e989ff.jpg

49 minutes ago, THUE said:

Slide it In -Whitesnake , great hard rock album. Just sayin....

this is a correct assumption

The live album is one of my staples. They were right in my sweet spot back then, two cracking guitarists, an excellent bass player & legends on keys & drums. I couldn't give two shots for the reincarnation other than there is a very good take of Soldier of Fortune on the Purple Tour album.

2 minutes ago, Ninethumbs said:

The live album is one of my staples. They were right in my sweet spot back then, two cracking guitarists, an excellent bass player & legends on keys & drums. I couldn't give two shots for the reincarnation other than there is a very good take of Soldier of Fortune on the Purple Tour album.

You mean...Robert Plant was wrong? :blink:

16 minutes ago, Rizla said:

WHOOSH2.jpg.cbc029be9c95ad6136456a5ed1e989ff.jpg

I got the 'Blacksnake' quip Rizzie...:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, JustDan said:

You mean...Robert Plant was wrong? :blink:

If I recall correctly Plant was ragging Coverdale over being a second rate facsimile of Planty himself. A trifle harsh as every long haired, bare chested rock singer of the seventies/eighties was at least second placed behind Plant.

If I recall wrongly & he was knocking the band, well in that case Planty was mistaken. For a while Whitesnake were smoking.

4 minutes ago, Ninethumbs said:

If I recall correctly Plant was ragging Coverdale over being a second rate facsimile of Planty himself. A trifle harsh as every long haired, bare chested rock singer of the seventies/eighties was at least second placed behind Plant.

If I recall wrongly & he was knocking the band, well in that case Planty was mistaken. For a while Whitesnake were smoking.

ive loved them for years.....even when everyone in the band looked like a girl.

44 minutes ago, The Chicken Man said:

ive loved them for years.....even when everyone in the band looked like a girl.

To be honest, fine vocalist though he is/was DC as a lyricist could be horribly cringe worthy. Still, if you can swallow the idea of a three month old bank robber you can swallow anything. As indeed DC may have sung.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ninethumbs said:

To be honest, fine vocalist though he is/was DC as a lyricist could be horribly cringe worthy. Still, if you can swallow the idea of a three month old bank robber you can swallow anything. As indeed DC may have sung.

i still think ditching Tawny Kitaen concludes DC is/was nuts

Damn straight. Though I like to think that the split may have been mutual. Certainly I can confirm that serenading one's intended paramour with the line "lay down, I think I love you" hasn't worked ever. If you've had better luck with it I salute you. Unless you are DC, in which case you should have come up with a better line for the rest of us.

You guys are all way behind the news.

The band is now to be known as ‘The’

to also remove the inherent sexism in their name.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Ninethumbs said:

Saw The Moody Marsden Band live a few times in the late 90s early 00s. Probably the best blues rock concerts I've been to.

Whitesnake have a pretty good new song that I've been playing a lot lately:

8 hours ago, Kent Guitar said:

You guys are all way behind the news.

The band is now to be known as ‘The’

to also remove the inherent sexism in their name.

Whitesnake. I've just been googling. Really? Called that after his ...? Well, I never knew that!

2 hours ago, Eileen said:

Whitesnake. I've just been googling. Really? Called that after his ...? Well, I never knew that!

Umm...

I didn’t post the Whitesnake.

Though if I did start a band Whitecashew might be a good name.

Sorry! 

Cashew might be a good name.

7 hours ago, Kent Guitar said:

Umm...

I didn’t post the Whitesnake.

Though if I did start a band Whitecashew might be a good name.

Sorry! 

Cashew might be a good name.

I did wonder where the 'The' came in. 

So ... did anyone else know where the Whitesnake name came from?

On 7/11/2020 at 5:38 AM, THUE said:

It seems so long ago when there was all that hoop la after they criticized President Bush 

I bet he didn't even have time to care what they said

Looking back on it it seems rather absurd

Did they get banned from country radio stations because the conservative listeners demanded it ?