Greasy Lake Community

WFH - The River tour 2016

Working from home in Lockdown has been an absolute blessing. I have managed to get through the whole 2017 Australia tour and hair started the 2016 The River tour. 10 shows in, and despite listening to the River album in full each show, I just love it. The version of I Wanna Marry You is a thing of beauty, Steve just shines on The River. I was only 4 when the first River tour took place, need to get my bootlegs out and set that as my next WFH marathon.

• Like 7
  • Bruuuuce! 2

46 minutes ago, Jsgunnell said:

Working from home in Lockdown has been an absolute blessing. I have managed to get through the whole 2017 Australia tour and hair started the 2016 The River tour. 10 shows in, and despite listening to the River album in full each show, I just love it. The version of I Wanna Marry You is a thing of beauty, Steve just shines on The River. I was only 4 when the first River tour took place, need to get my bootlegs out and set that as my next WFH marathon.

I never got to any shows but i have every one

The only one im not keen to revist again is the cowgirl  fiasco in Texas

Otherwise i love this tour 

Im so glad you are enjoying it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantomengineer said:

Could you refresh my memory?

A large gaggle of tweens no doubt pushed by their mothers were front and centre all dressed in B ITUSA era costumes

They got to go on stage for sunny day and it very nearly got out of control trying to corral them all 

1 hour ago, phantomengineer said:

Could you refresh my memory?

April 5th American Airlines Center / Dallas, TX

From backstreets

Notes: At a Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band concert, everyone expects the former's presence to be felt more than anyone else's in the building. Yet at their sole stop in the Lone Star state on this River Tour 2016, the Boss wasn't the lone star of the evening. Stationed mostly around the side platforms in the pit was an overwhelming bevy of Born in the U.S.A.-styled, dolled-up Texas "cowgirls," emphasis on the latter half of that term. They were indeed more girls than women, a majority of them probably a decade away from being able to enjoy an adult beverage, with none of them looking a day over 30. Yet even without liquid courage, these gals (who have made appearances at shows of Texas past, or perhaps it was their sisters) were complete balls of vivacity, and Bruce not only fixated on them but derived increased energy from their liveliness from the very first note, which in turn further ignited the crowd. On a night when the setlist provided no real surprises — only one song differentiated it from OKC's two evenings prior — these young ladies certainly helped set the night apart. Mostly for the better; sometimes, regrettably, for the worse.

But since it was primarily those lucky enough to make the pit who were affected by the negative side of their antics, let's first focus on all of their positives that the majority of those inside Dallas' American Airlines Center enjoyed throughout Tuesday night's show. From the moment Bruce walked onstage, he couldn't help but notice the young mademoiselles joyously waving their red bandanas at every single song. He played a majority of the songs to them, which led to a lot of blocking changes for The River performance; he led Stevie and Jake to a side platform to elicit some loud "Texas-style party noises" from them before playing to the rear seats.

Bruce first addressed them directly at the end of "Crush On You," when he grabbed one of their signs to show the crowd: "We got on a crush on you, Bruce" was printed on a — you could have guessed it — pink sign. Before launching into another fun performance of "You Can Look," he yelped at them, "Shake those hankeys!" referring to their bandanas. Speaking of yelping, Springsteen walked to the side platform again during his "I Wanna Marry You" introduction where he repeated his OKC question, "Do we have any cowgirls out there?" As Bruce held his microphone toward the gaggle, the crowd was greeted with an unsurprising yet alarmingly loud chorus of squeals. He responded, "I'm not even going to ask the cowboys, because you can't top that."

What also couldn't be topped on Tuesday night were the southern-style rockers on the second half of The River. After a particularly haunting "Point Blank" that felt more like a spoken word performance, a rollicking "Cadillac Ranch" — a landmark located around 350 miles away from Dallas — turned the arena into a hoedown, featuring Bruce and Jake side-stepping and sashaying to the cowgirls' platform during the sax solo. The performance clearly put Bruce in a rocking mood, which had him shimmying behind the rear-pit cameraman during "I'm a Rocker."

The highlight of the night may have been an absolutly raucous "Ramrod," perhaps the best of the tour. Imploring the crowd to "shake your ass to a little roadhouse music," Bruce brought back a lot of his older, more extended "Ramrod" shtick. Instead of launching right into this evening's particularly strong "Boss Time" solo, Bruce revived a stretched-out "What time is it?" call-and-response with the crowd. Even Garry was feeling the roadhouse vibe: he pulled off an impressive "foot to the floor" shuffle, moves no one thought such a cool and collected cat could bust out.

The post-River portion of the set largely mirrored that of OKC (the night's only substitution was "Backstreets" in for "Lonesome Day"), but those cowgirls were still making their presence felt and setting the night apart. The added vitality that they instilled in Bruce throughout the night obviously had a powerful effect on the crowd, too, which was much more vocal than those who were greeted to basically the same show in OKC. Bruce complimented the crowd multiple times, from proclaiming, "Dallas rocks!" at the beginning of the encores to exclaiming, "You put on a hell of a show!" at the end of the evening.

But before the end, in a move that may have been even more predictable than the first 21 songs of the show, Bruce invited the cowgirls on stage for "Dancing in the Dark." One came up, and then another, and then more from the other platform, and then it was just a flood, quickly making up for any gender imbalance from Patti's absence. Though security was trying to limit the numbers, Stevie just kept imploring more and more to crowd around Bruce. And boy, did they ever. I'm no Bruce archivist, but I feel safe saying that this night featured more dance partners than any show in E Street history. Just look at this madness:

(See photo below)

By the time Bruce and Co. managed to wrangle all of them offstage — which took an excessive amount of time, especially since none of them showed any interest in leaving — the Boss had a rare look on his face: exhaustion. "Oh my fucking God," he concluded, using language that the girls' mothers might not approve of, "That was a lot of fucking children." Bruce mostly left the children behind for the rest of the show, only jokingly inviting them back on stage for "Shout" before finally referencing them in his usual, "We ain't got nothing left" spiel by saying, "The little kids took everything out of me!" Stevie brought over a cold towel and pretended to help a ragged Bruce off the stage before launching into an increasingly customary "Bobby Jean" finale.

Yet before I reach the finale of this recap, I have to address the negative aspects of the cowgirls' presence, which the picture above sort of captures; finding Bruce is like playing "Where's Waldo," largely because they seemed concerned less with letting Bruce do his job and more with being in the spotlight themselves. Though up to that point Bruce probably only saw their unwavering energy, it was apparent to many pit-goers that they were more consumed by getting noticed and being invited onstage than by the music itself. Nobody wants to bemoan their enthusiasm, but it definitely seemed odd that they were waving their bandanas just as vigorously for "Independence Day" as they were for "Hungry Heart" (especially since most stopped waving them after "Dancing in the Dark"). There was even an obnoxious "I ♥ U. Pull us onstage" sign that blocked other fans' view for much of the night. They chatted loudly through the slower songs, some even doing so on their cell phones. They actually may have been talking to their friends on the opposite platform — throughout the night a lot of the girls were running back and forth based on where they expected Bruce to go next, often making the floor feel more like a playground than a rock concert. A few were applying more makeup in the middle of "The River."

Though I don’t condone any of this behavior, it by no means ruined the show; anyone who may have been bothered was free to move to a different spot in the pit less overrun with cowgirls. And I think it's important to stress "most" and not "all" in describing their behavior. We simply can't make definitive statements about their intentions, and it's unfair to group the entire mass of cowgirls together as one unified entity. There was immediately plenty of chatter on the message boards, and while some of these kids may have been at the concert for the "wrong" reasons, it's really a matter of conjecture. There may have been some real fans in the bunch, and perhaps being on stage with their idol was one of the highlights of their lives. This tour has seen Bruce time and time again focusing on the younger members of the crowd, for as he nightly looks back at his own youth on The River, he's also looking ahead at how the youth of today will be the ones to take his music into the future. It was fitting that he changed his blocking for "Fade Away" so that he sang parts of the song on both of the cowgirls' platforms; some of these girls will be the reason his music doesn't fade away for future generations. It may have felt like a playground at times, but Bruce definitely played better because of them.

Even though he was surrounded by an inordinately youthful pit, Bruce showed his age twice by amusingly forgetting the lyrics to "The River" and "Thunder Road," songs that have been played every single night of this tour. Maybe he was just distracted. But for the most part, Dallas witnessed Bruce in spirits that defied his age, largely thanks to the cowgirls. Some in the pit may disagree, but most people in attendance at any Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band concert would happily accept some annoying behavior in the name of seeing such a phenomenally spirited performance.
- report and photographs by Steven Strauss

Setlist:
Meet Me in the City
The Ties That Bind
Sherry Darling
Jackson Cage
Two Hearts
Independence Day
Hungry Heart
Out in the Street
Crush On You
You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)
I Wanna Marry You
The River
Point Blank
Cadillac Ranch
I'm a Rocker
Fade Away
Stolen Car
Ramrod
The Price You Pay
Drive All Night
Wreck on the Highway
Badlands
The Promised Land
Backstreets
Because the Night
The Rising
Thunder Road
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Shout
Bobby Jean

040516_386.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, el sergio said:

JANUARY 29, WASHINGTON, DC

And though you may have tired of "Rosalita" over the years, it is fun watching Nils, Jake, Bruce and Steven contorted their faces every which way for the crowd.

Fantastic

After reading this I was sent down the wormhole of looking back on the last leg of 2016 when they were back in America. How wild were them shows. I can clearly remember reading on here following the SLV threads and trying to watch the periscope streams, and really being blown away by the setlists. What I wouldn't give to have been at any of them shows on that final leg.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

9 hours ago, Ciaran said:

After reading this I was sent down the wormhole of looking back on the last leg of 2016 when they were back in America. How wild were them shows. I can clearly remember reading on here following the SLV threads and trying to watch the periscope streams, and really being blown away by the setlists. What I wouldn't give to have been at any of them shows on that final leg.

I'm a new fan since this year and I bought that whole stretch of 10 shows from Nugs. That's how good they are. I go back to them often, especially those 3 East Rutherford and the Philadelphia shows. I love the setlist variation and the '70s themed shows are just fantastic. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

... all the way from Jersey, good Lord! Lets give it a try ...

Every Springsteen tour had its highlights, the 2016-17 tour helped a whole lot by Nugs tapes. This is one of the highlights from: Jersey Girl, 2016-06-14 - MALIEVELD, THE HAGUE, THE NETHERLANDS (lemme hear you, the dutch lot on this forum :lol:)

That Jersey song was also played at the end of some MetLife Stadium 2016 gigs, complete with fireworks and marriage proposal. But man, if you quick check those MetLife versions on YouTube, they sound lame, after playing for almost 4 hours Bruce is clearly exhausted (or "Gasping" our Swedish TheBoss member would say ;)), merely talking, barely singing.

To mimic the way Paolo is filling his excellent reviews :P, listen on this Jersey Malieveld version to "You and your baby on a Saturdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay niiight" (2:15), or a little twist in the lyric: "My little darling gives me everything" (3:05) or "I am on my way to see that giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl of miiine" (3:25)

And watch out for Little Steven's amazed face (4:23) which proves that something special is indeed going on

Jersey girl was a sign request (only the second time it has been played outside of North America). And played early in the set, so his voice was still fresh and strong. The Malieveld was only a few miles from the beach with the stage facing the sea shore. Bruce is just back after a short break in the USA. Patti is absent (so he might be still missing "that giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl of miiine""). All those factors might have contributed to this very special version

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2

18 minutes ago, el sergio said:

Every Springsteen tour had its highlights, the 2016-17 tour helped a whole lot by Nugs tapes. This is one of the highlights from: Jersey Girl, 2016-06-14 - MALIEVELD, THE HAGUE, THE NETHERLANDS (lemme hear you, the dutch lot on this forum :lol:)

That Jersey song was also played at the end of some MetLife Stadium 2016 gigs, complete with fireworks and marriage proposal. But man, if you quick check those MetLife versions on YouTube, they sound lame, after playing for almost 4 hours Bruce is clearly exhausted (or "Gasping" our Swedish TheBoss member would say ;)), merely talking, barely singing.

To mimic the way Paolo is filling his excellent reviews :P, listen on this Jersey Malieveld version to "You and your baby on a Saturdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay niiight" (2:15), or a little twist in the lyric: "My little darling gives me everything" (3:05) or "I am on my way to see that giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl of miiine" (3:25)

And watch out for Little Steven's amazed face (4:23) which proves that something special is indeed going on

Jersey girl was a sign request (only the second time it has been played outside of North America). And played early in the set, so his voice was still fresh and strong. The Malieveld was only a few miles from the beach with the stage facing the sea shore. Bruce is just back after a short break in the USA. Patti is absent (so he might be still missing "that giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl of miiine""). All those factors might have contributed to this very special version

Very nice! But ya gotta plug the website too man! :lol::D

28 minutes ago, el sergio said:

That was really a highlight of the Malieveld gig in my backyard. Same as Racing in the Street and Jungleland (also both as a request) both songs always gives me shivers same as the closing encore the solo acoustic version of “This Hard Land” 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, el sergio said:

That would have been THE chance to see him for the first time, but alas, I decided to become a fan only 3,5 years later. I have the nugs recording of this show and agree with Paolo when he writes that it is one of the best European concerts of the 16/17 River tour. Jersey Girl is fantastic, Racing In The Street is fabulous and Detroit Medley a very nice surprise. It also had one of the few live versions of From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come). 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, estband said:

Nothing says class like over sexualizing your pre-teen daughters for an arena full of people to see.

I know !

It was bad enough without the puctures

Is this kind of a newish thing ?

Mothers dressing their pre high school aged daughters as little hussies 

There is one little kid there in a bikini top

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Mothers dressing their pre high school aged daughters as little hussies 

There is one little kid there in a bikini top

It's disgusting.

Anything to get your kids on stage, right Moms?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - (Partial ) Pro-shot footage of the first three songs "Prove It All Night", "My Love Will Not Let You Down" and "No Surrender" from the show Ullevaal Stadion in Oslo, Norway on June 29th 2016.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

On 7/25/2020 at 9:07 AM, el sergio said:

JANUARY 29, WASHINGTON, DC

And though you may have tired of "Rosalita" over the years, it is fun watching Nils, Jake, Bruce and Steven contorted their faces every which way for the crowd.

I was at that show. Great times.

• Bruuuuce! 2