Greasy Lake Community

Milan 2003, 17 years ago today

Watching the Milan 2003 show right now, which was 17 years ago today... and man, dare I say, best show of the Rising Tour? If I recall correctly, I vaguely remember Bruce saying this was one of his favorite shows as well. Every song is just perfectly performed, and the rain and atmosphere is unlike any other. Plus, that Follow That Dream is simply beautiful. Here's to hoping we someday see it surface on Nugs...

• Like 1
8 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

Watching the Milan 2003 show right now, which was 17 years ago today... and man, dare I say, best show of the Rising Tour? If I recall correctly, I vaguely remember Bruce saying this was one of his favorite shows as well. Every song is just perfectly performed, and the rain and atmosphere is unlike any other. Plus, that Follow That Dream is simply beautiful. Here's to hoping we someday see it surface on Nugs...

I was there, first time I saw Bruce in Italy. Can’t believe it was 17 years ago.  One of the best shows I’ve seen. 

• Like 2

One of the top five Rising shows, accompanied by an outstanding CC boot and Pete (Brucevideos) highly-watchable video. The Once Upon A Time intro > The Promised Land is fantastic. Arguably the definitive post-Reunion version of The River. A friend of mine who was at this show had their mobile phone and watch permanently damaged by the weather...

This show made me go to the Milan shows in 2012 and 2013 - neither of which were anywhere near as good, but the atmosphere and passion were unforgettable. 

• Love Love Love! 1
13 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

Yeah it was quite a night / show (the entrance is probably the best ever too!). I think what you are referring to (favourite shows) was a comment made by Jon Landau who (at that time) regarded it as being in his top 5 Bruce shows of all time (and he's seen a few!!). 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

That Wembley show from 2002 was a good one mind. 

Underappreciated as well. Never seen it mentioned on here. 

It as indeed - I was hoarse / almost had no voice after that one!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BruceWho said:

I think what you are referring to (favourite shows) was a comment made by Jon Landau who (at that time) regarded it as being in his top 5 Bruce shows of all time (and he's seen a few!!). 

Yes, it was Landau who said this, not Bruce. I think in an interview with Rolling Stone.

• Like 1

My first show at the San Siro, haven’t missed a Bruce show there since, best place to see him & the band IMHO, just incredible. My mobile didn’t work for 24 hours it was such a wet night, probably only matched by Firenze for rain, was lucky to attend both shows. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

That Wembley show from 2002 was a good one mind. 

Underappreciated as well. Never seen it mentioned on here. 

I was at that one too. Certainly wasn’t under appreciated by me, that was another really great show.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
8 hours ago, BruceWho said:

a comment made by Jon Landau who (at that time) regarded it as being in his top 5 Bruce shows of all time (and he's seen a few!!). 

Yes, I believe you're right on this! Thanks! It really was a special show

On 6/30/2020 at 2:47 AM, Early North Jersey said:

Seems he has thrown up the Wembley 2002 white flag :(

Maybe trying the reverse psychology, never mention it and it might get released...

• Like 2
8 hours ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

I was certain that he always skipped that one at my shows 

Cadillac Ranch was also played at Arnhem 1999 Night 2; and the Seeger show in Amsterdam 2006.

• Haha 1

Took an "airmiles" flight on the day, turned up at San Siro without a ticket and got one at an official booth. No pit line in those days. Just queued at one of the many entrances. Got wristband and ran like hell to make 3rd row in front of Clarence. Then the rain came.........got drenched...no hotel....skipped the Joe D'Urso late show and dried out walking the 7km along the straight road from Milan to Linate airport where I slept for a few hours on a luggage conveyor belt before an early morning flight back to London.....................but it was all worth it. :D

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Lampi said:

Cadillac Ranch was also played at Arnhem 1999 Night 2; and the Seeger show in Amsterdam 2006.

I remember that Seeger one, I’m still hoping it will appear on an archive. My first show was in 1999. I’m not even sure which one. I wasn’t a fan at the time but kind tagged along with a co-worker. I remember being in awe of how he did that Joan Jet song. I couldn’t identify most of the songs, much less remember :D The only album I owned was Nebraska at the time. It took me a couple of years for my obsession to grown.

16 hours ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

The only album I owned was Nebraska at the time.

The first night Mansion On The Hill was played.

The first night Bruce wore a red shirt, the second night he wore a blue shirt.

And the first night he jumped on the piano during Stand On It (which was a tour debut and the first performance since the BUSA Tour).

Maybe this helps?

16 hours ago, Lampi said:

The first night Mansion On The Hill was played.

The first night Bruce wore a red shirt, the second night he wore a blue shirt.

And the first night he jumped on the piano during Stand On It (which was a tour debut and the first performance since the BUSA Tour).

Maybe this helps?

I'm still not sure. I lost my ticketstub for this show and my memory often plays tricks on me. I could not tell you a whole lot about my last show, save for some high lights.

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, janeymarywendy said:

;):lol: Talking of @J, where is he?

I'm here! Super busy with work and a kitchen renovation so haven't been round much. 

• Like 1