Sign in to follow this  
TOWNFULLOFLOSERS

Countin on a miracle

I had seen this song live in 2002, I have absolutely zero recollection of it. :ph34r:

(I had to check)

Worst song on The Rising in my opinion, and one of his weakest songs in general. But to each their own. I will say, though, the Devils and Dust piano version is the best version of the song... but even then, it's nowhere near a must-listen.

On the topic, though, Worlds Apart is the Rising song I feel is criminally underplayed... if ever played... from any tour besides The Rising. Great song on the album, and a real scorcher live.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Silvia said:

Please forgive me, but I have to get this right.

I listened to the album version (which reminded me why I had entirely forgotten about this song, mostly because of the lame lyrics) 

I listened to the Essential version (which is awful, and I love acoustic Bruce)

I listened to the D&D version (which is OK, but nothing mind-blowing) 

I listened to the live version posted above, with the very lovely Nils' intro (the intro being the best part)

What else should I be doing? :P

Listening to Thunder Road

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 3

Counting On A Miracle... neither here nor there for me, although I like it more these days than when it was first released.

Having said that, I'm equally indifferent to Lonesome Day which without checking I assume is probably the third most played live song from The Rising. So if he gave Lonesome an overdue rest and played Counting instead I'd be ok with that

• Like 1

Lonesome, Waiting, and Counting are the three musketeers of the Rising. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Silvia said:

Lonesome, Waiting, and Counting are the three musketeers of the Rising. 

"Lonesome Day", "Nothing Man", "Empty Sky",  "Worlds Apart", "Further On (Up the Road)", "The Rising" and "My City of Ruins" are The Magnificent Seven.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

The whole Rising album is great, not a weak song on it (the much-maligned Let's Be Friends is a good song too).

The album that got me back into Bruce after some years (6 years!) as a sort of casual fan ( this is really true!).

The resurrection of the E Street Band! (on studio album).

Paradise is a criminally underrated, very great song. The Fuse is quite underrated too.

Waitin' On A Sunny Day-the song can't help the Sunny Day kids; and very classic Bruce Springsteen: joyous, uplifting music with dark lyrics.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

6 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I wasn't being serious btw...

I still don't know what he was referring to.

Which acoustic version was that?

2 minutes ago, Silvia said:

The version on Essential. The video played at the big screen after Rising shows is the same as the version on Essential.

4 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I still don't know what he was referring to.

The one attached to the end of Live in Barcelona that's also on The Essential. The best versions are the live ones from 02-03, followed by the studio track. 

This acoustic is laughably bad, but I've always felt there was a nice tenderness to it. In a way it would serve as a nice replacement for "Pony Boy" at the end of Human Touch as that song for his son. 

And yeah, I'm fully aware to say a song would be a nice replacement for "PONY BOY" isn't a compliment at all :D

• Haha 1

Thank you, both. :)

But shit, I was hoping there's a stellar version I'm not aware of.

I get it though, if it was played after the shows ended, it was a nice gesture to get the people out of the venues as soon as possible.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lampi said:

The whole Rising album is great, not a weak song on it (the much-maligned Let's Be Friends is a good song too).

The album that got me back into Bruce after some years (6 years!) as a sort of casual fan ( this is really true!).

The resurrection of the E Street Band! (on studio album).

Paradise is a criminally underrated, very great song. The Fuse is quite underrated too.

Waitin' On A Sunny Day-the song can't help the Sunny Day kids; and very classic Bruce Springsteen: joyous, uplifting music with dark lyrics.

Last night listening to E street radio they were playing a lot of tracks of the modern era. The rising tracks are stand outs, i enjoy the album so much

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

The one attached to the end of Live in Barcelona that's also on The Essential. The best versions are the live ones from 02-03, followed by the studio track. 

This acoustic is laughably bad, but I've always felt there was a nice tenderness to it. In a way it would serve as a nice replacement for "Pony Boy" at the end of Human Touch as that song for his son. 

And yeah, I'm fully aware to say a song would be a nice replacement for "PONY BOY" isn't a compliment at all :D

Don't like this version very much, but: it does give me som pleasant flashbacks to milling around the stadium grounds flooded by lights just after the show, the stage being disassembled, people in yellow vests sweeping crushed plastic beer cups, masses of people streaming for the exits and fans just standing around discussing.

Ahhh, good times, come again for sure.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

56 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Don't like this version very much, but: it does give me som pleasant flashbacks to milling around the stadium grounds flooded by lights just after the show, the stage being disassembled, people in yellow vests sweeping crushed plastic beer cups, masses of people streaming for the exits and fans just standing around discussing.

Ahhh, good times, come again for sure.

And that's alright with me :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

And that's alright with me :)

Taking 2 and a half hours to get back to the hotel  from crystal palace 

1 hour ago, TOWNFULLOFLOSERS said:

Taking 2 and a half hours to get back to the hotel  from crystal palace 

Sounds like Wellington :(

16 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

This acoustic is laughably bad

No.

I like it. Not for everyone, I guess. Just like the bullet-mic songs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBoss said:

No.

I like it. Not for everyone, I guess. Just like the bullet-mic songs.

MV5BMTUxMjdkNTYtZjQ0ZC00OTJiLTk5YzctNGZjYmJmNWViNmY2L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM4Mzc1MTU@._V1_.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/30/2020 at 4:19 PM, Silvia said:

Please forgive me, but I have to get this right.

I listened to the album version (which reminded me why I had entirely forgotten about this song, mostly because of the lame lyrics) 

I listened to the Essential version (which is awful, and I love acoustic Bruce)

I listened to the D&D version (which is OK, but nothing mind-blowing) 

I listened to the live version posted above, with the very lovely Nils' intro (the intro being the best part)

What else should I be doing? :P

Donate the album to a charity shop as I did years ago, It's still there now.