Greasy Lake Community

New archive July 2020: Philadelphia September 1999

10 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

You underestimate the conspiracy theory potential of this place :P

JL was probably sitting on a grassy knoll as he said it!

Breaking News: Mr Landau shot the DSD recording device with a magic bullet. 

"Back, and to the left."

• Haha 1
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ffs Erik. Get a grip. That third paragraph is total cringe.

Well this hits the spot... Incident is glorious... I'll never understand the "I pass" and "not for me" comments... $12.95 for the lossless download and I'm transported back to 1999, which beats the he

I remember reading about the setlists on backstreets as the days to the L.A. stand counted down. He always will give his best to Philadelphia, and always has. The magic town that made him famous. I ca

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Silvia said:

Does anyone  perhaps know why the studio version of LOHAD wasn't released earlier?

Another example of Bruce's greatest flaw: Not being able to immediately appreciate his greatest work. 

That's why we're only discussing the official release of this concert in July 2020. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BobbyJames said:

it is also worth pointing out that around the time of that release people were calling for more 'normal' releases that better represented their respective tours (i.e. no guest appearances, special occasions...) - the fact that this show has something like 9 Rising tracks gave people what they wanted, and I think its a good show (but they all are, aren't they!)

This indeed; at the time of release of the Helsinki 2003 show it was well received, as a solid Rising Tour show, representative of the tour.

• Like 2

I think It's the best sound of the 3 concerts of 1999: clear and with the instruments you listen to...

And the performance is superb (... Atlantic city,  Light of day, Badlands, Youngstown and others)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, lilbud said:

I think that they picked a mediocre show so that if it was lost, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

This theorie about the Helsinki 2003 show was posted before on this forum and more or less officially denied.

20 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Another example of Bruce's greatest flaw: Not being able to immediately appreciate his greatest work. 

That's why we're only discussing the official release of this concert in July 2020. 

Maybe some songs are exceptional, and he is aware of the their greatness, but he just never planned to put them on a regular album? As this was the closing song on the Reunion tour, maybe it was written for this specific occasion, and this was this song's fate until he needed to patchwork his albums?

Similar story like with American Skin?

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

It's worth noting that from the very beginning of their relationship Bruce and Landau were over protective of Bruce's 'art'.  

Very few interviews, almost zero TV, resistance to live albums and the woeful under recording of his live shows.  Even this archive series is way way later than most artists.  Of course, it hasn't affected his earnings one iota as he could probably buy a small country if he wanted to.  But maybe Bruce feels that he's kept his integrity.

Except for the fact that you can buy official BITUSA boxer shorts.

• Like 2
On 7/4/2020 at 6:35 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

I just couldn't imangine fine Mr @Paolo's Circus Story ever in my wildest dreams purposely being a naughty boy and not abiding by the rules (stealing from Bruce)

I say this most sincerely

@judyg can we please have some clarity of the rules regarding shearing of bootlegs

From the other thread:

The rule is that we don't allow links to any material which has been officially released. If you can buy it from Bruce, then you shouldn't post it here.  So if a show was officially released as an archive, please do not trade a bootleg audience recording of the same show here. Does that clarify it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, judyg said:

From the other thread:

The rule is that we don't allow links to any material which has been officially released. If you can buy it from Bruce, then you shouldn't post it here.  So if a show was officially released as an archive, please do not trade a bootleg audience recording of the same show here. Does that clarify it?

Thank you Judy for the clarification

I was definatly hazy on this, in fact this finner detail had completly passed me by* and I definatly don't want the Jon Launder police after us 

*i guess i havn't looked at the fine print for a few years

I have requested clarification from the powers that be at GL to make sure my understanding is right. I could be wrong. It has happened. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, judyg said:

I have requested clarification from the powers that be at GL to make sure my understanding is right. I could be wrong. It has happened. 

Will be interesting ....Those By Laws may be older than the advent of the official downloads.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Will be interesting ....Those By Laws may be older than the advent of the official downloads.

I think that's where i got lost 

Nugs spanner in the works

Not that im not profoundly greatful to nugs because what they do is great for me ...who was completly out of the bootleg loop and  had to (whispering) buy bootlegs just to get access to shows and some were just dreadful quality

Its a win win really 

Just hurry up and put out Moncton and please edit out that girl screaming in front of me 

• Like 3
On 7/6/2020 at 4:07 AM, lilbud said:

I guess the pros of DSD (at the time) outweighed the cons. And digital was the way forward for everything. So it was worth a shot. Should they have gone full in on this unproven format? Probably not. Definitely not without having some backups in other formats.

Also, they probably thought that DSD was going to be the dominant format (an ultimately wrong move, like Sony betting on betamax). 

Bouncing off of that. Many complain about Helsinki being the rising release, as it wasn't that good of a show. I think that they picked a mediocre show so that if it was lost, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Please what do you mean by if it was lost

38 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Please what do you mean by if it was lost

If they went to recover a show from DSD and it was corrupted during the conversion and the output file is completely unusable. And then they didn't have a backup, or something else went wrong with the original files. Then the show would be lost.

(Debunked, but my original theory) If they try to convert an average show and lose it, it wouldn't be as big of a deal as losing something like Shea 2003.

• Sad 1

With regard to the bootleg issue, who (aside from Paolo for a few days for research purposes) would actually want an audience recording of something now available officially via Nugs? There are absolutely no bootlegs superior to what Nugs has released (certainly since 31/12/80 was upgraded). The Agora 78 release is probably the one least differentiated from what's in circulation but is still at least as good as the best bootleg of that show (at least to my ears).

• Like 3

One of the things I enjoy about following the Archive series is the opportunity to compare shows. I've been listening to the LA show and I think, so far, Philadelphia doesn't come close to the intensity of the first set in LA.At the same time I really like Atlantic City from this release, and I would rather have that in place of LA's The Promised Land. I may also just prefer the Youngstown/Murder Inc pairing from Philadelphia; Bruce really seems to go for it vocally after the initial flub on Youngstown. If I had to choose one I'd go with LA, but if course I don't. I'm looking forward to revisiting Chicago and seeing how that holds up.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, judyg said:

I was correct. If there is an official way to buy a show, then please buy it from Bruce and don’t link to other sources of the show at GL.  Thank you everyone.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, Growin' Up said:

So is Paolo to be shot at dawn or merely tarred and feathered?

Will we be advised when the tickets go on sale? :P

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, lilbud said:

If they went to recover a show from DSD and it was corrupted during the conversion and the output file is completely unusable. And then they didn't have a backup, or something else went wrong with the original files. Then the show would be lost.

(Debunked, but my original theory) If they try to convert an average show and lose it, it wouldn't be as big of a deal as losing something like Shea 2003.

If that was the case, surely Helsinki proved that it can be done? In which case, the reason as to why there hasn’t been more from 2003, and nothing from 2002, remain unclear.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bobfan1976 said:

If that was the case, surely Helsinki proved that it can be done? In which case, the reason as to why there hasn’t been more from 2003, and nothing from 2002, remain unclear.

Maybe the process is so painful that no one wants to go through it again?

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, lilbud said:

Maybe the process is so painful that no one wants to go through it again?

Or that it is so time consuming that it is not cost effective to go through it again.

• Sad 1
46 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Or that it is so time consuming that it is not cost effective to go through it again.

Or they have to swing a dead chicken overhead (counterclockwise) while standing on one foot. Really now, who wants to do that?

• Haha 1