Greasy Lake Community

New archive July 2020: Philadelphia September 1999

While the ESB sounds in top form on the Reunion Tour, it’s amazing how much Bruce’s rock voice aged from 1993 to 1999.  All the “youth” is gone to my ears anyway.

• Like 1
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ffs Erik. Get a grip. That third paragraph is total cringe.

Well this hits the spot... Incident is glorious... I'll never understand the "I pass" and "not for me" comments... $12.95 for the lossless download and I'm transported back to 1999, which beats the he

I remember reading about the setlists on backstreets as the days to the L.A. stand counted down. He always will give his best to Philadelphia, and always has. The magic town that made him famous. I ca

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

While the ESB sounds in top form on the Reunion Tour, it’s amazing how much Bruce’s rock voice aged from 1993 to 1999.  All the “youth” is gone to my ears anyway.

I read an article years ago, which had a YouTube video embedded, which pointed out that Bruce’s voice was so shot by the early mid 90s that this writer, a hard-core fan, literally feared Bruce would never be able to sing publicly again. I have searched many times for that article in that video since, and have never found it again. (And, no, I don’t think I dreamt it.) 

If I recall correctly, the video was of him singing with a band somewhere in Europe – – possibly the video used for the“Hungry Heart“ video which was later overdubbed with the studio recording.

if I recall correctly – – and this might have been covered in his autobiography – – that’s why Bruce later went to a vocal coach, who helped him recover his voice, and which added the country twang which he’s kept ever since.

also, I actually like that he’s had at least three or four distinct voices over the years. I’ve liked each one of them, and think it’s cool that he changes as he ages, and not just the kind of physical deterioration that all singers inevitably suffer, being human.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Was listening to a podcast on Monday that had Luke Bryant on as a guest, and he mentioned during it that the male adult's singing voice peaks at the age of 37. For Bruce that'll have been 1987 so I guess it was all downhill from that point with the exception of maybe two years. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 4:59 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

The Reunion Tour always has been, and always will be, one of my favourite tours. I'm ecstatic here. 

Keep them coming, there are still a lot hidden special gems played during this tour!

This countryfied sounds like a cross between the Paris Concert For Amnesty International 1998 version and Seeger treatment. At least he tried something different instead playing and perfecting the same shit over again and again, that is in short the Reunion Tour for me at least

• Like 3

This show is worth the price alone for that beautiful opening version of 'Incident On 57th  Street' (the first performance of that song since December 29th 1980 if I'm correct). I've listened to all 3 available 1999 concerts (archive) and personally I prefer this concert above the others. 'Streets Of Philadelphia' is fantastic too. 

• Bruuuuce! 1