After 4 G-Dead shows in 5 nights, and an obligatory day in the office, on the night of 7/2 I hopped the big TWA bird to London for the 3 shows at the old Wembley stadium. I had an excellent scalper in NYC, Vance, who set me up with tickets thru some tout off Piccadilly Circus. Arrived at Heathrow, got checked in to my hotel at the Hilton there. then took the tube to fetch the tickets. Back to the hotel for a little nap, then tube off to Wembley. Show printed to start at 4, doors open at 2, 80,000 all GA. I got there ~30 minutes early and thru pure luck got to a gate that would open, and was part of the rush onto the pitch. Each show I got to about the same spot - 20-30 people deep off the stage, dead center. Each show I had some wonderful folks around me who marveled at the Yank with the taping gear in his bag.

While the most historical notes of this opening show were the world-premiere of his new song Seeds, Steve joining for the encores, and Nils just smoking a solo during Because the Night, the whole experience sticks in my mind. For that many people all GA the crowd was very manageable. At the break I went out to use the loo and fetch something to drink. One of the blokes asked me to bring him back a pint. When I got back to the same spot without issue, and with the pint, he was astonished.

This show, and each of the three shows, I was struck by how good the T&S sounded in the encore. 80,000 voices, all raised on T&S and unison singing in stadiums, never sounded so good together. The energy in the stadium was immense. Happy days!

About 15 years ago I digitized my recording of opening night for someone from the old SPL because this was his first show. While the middle night was out thru Crystal Cat ("Independence Night"), the first night wasn't.

1985-07-03 - WEMBLEY STADIUM, LONDON, ENGLAND

BORN IN THE U.S.A. / BADLANDS / DARLINGTON COUNTY / SEEDS / JOHNNY 99 / ATLANTIC CITY / THE RIVER / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY / TRAPPED / OUT IN THE STREET / GLORY DAYS / THE PROMISED LAND / MY HOMETOWN / THUNDER ROAD / COVER ME / DANCING IN THE DARK / HUNGRY HEART / CADILLAC RANCH / DOWNBOUND TRAIN / I'M ON FIRE / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE / BORN TO RUN / BOBBY JEAN / TWO HEARTS (with Steven Van Zandt) / RAMROD (with Steven Van Zandt) / TWIST AND SHOUT - DO YOU LOVE ME (with Steven Van Zandt)

First of three shows at Wembley Stadium. Set features the world premiere of "Seeds". Little Steven joins in for the final encores.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Night 2 at Wembley, with that marvelous and unexpected solo Independence Day to open. Who knew 80,000 people could be that quiet and attentive.

1985-07-04 - WEMBLEY STADIUM, LONDON, ENGLAND

INDEPENDENCE DAY / BORN IN THE U.S.A. / BADLANDS / OUT IN THE STREET / SEEDS / JOHNNY 99 / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / THE RIVER / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY / TRAPPED / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / GLORY DAYS / THE PROMISED LAND / MY HOMETOWN / THUNDER ROAD / COVER ME / DANCING IN THE DARK / HUNGRY HEART / CADILLAC RANCH / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / I'M ON FIRE / PINK CADILLAC / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE / BORN TO RUN / BOBBY JEAN / TWO HEARTS (with Steven Van Zandt) / RAMROD (with Steven Van Zandt) / TWIST AND SHOUT - DO YOU LOVE ME (with Steven Van Zandt)

Unique acoustic "Independence Day" opens the show on July 4, its final performance of the tour. "Seeds" includes a spoken introduction accompanied by Nils on the guitar. "I'm On Fire" includes a keyboard led introduction. "Can't Help Falling In Love" is introduced by Bruce telling the story about going to Graceland. The song itself is played by Bruce and Roy rather than like the River Tour versions that were performed by Bruce alone. Little Steven guests on "Two Hearts", "Ramrod" and "Twist And Shout" - "Do You Love Me".

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Night 2 at Wembley, with that marvelous and unexpected solo Independence Day to open. Who knew 80,000 people could be that quiet and attentive.

1985-07-04 - WEMBLEY STADIUM, LONDON, ENGLAND

INDEPENDENCE DAY / BORN IN THE U.S.A. / BADLANDS / OUT IN THE STREET / SEEDS / JOHNNY 99 / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / THE RIVER / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY / TRAPPED / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / GLORY DAYS / THE PROMISED LAND / MY HOMETOWN / THUNDER ROAD / COVER ME / DANCING IN THE DARK / HUNGRY HEART / CADILLAC RANCH / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / I'M ON FIRE / PINK CADILLAC / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE / BORN TO RUN / BOBBY JEAN / TWO HEARTS (with Steven Van Zandt) / RAMROD (with Steven Van Zandt) / TWIST AND SHOUT - DO YOU LOVE ME (with Steven Van Zandt)

Unique acoustic "Independence Day" opens the show on July 4, its final performance of the tour. "Seeds" includes a spoken introduction accompanied by Nils on the guitar. "I'm On Fire" includes a keyboard led introduction. "Can't Help Falling In Love" is introduced by Bruce telling the story about going to Graceland. The song itself is played by Bruce and Roy rather than like the River Tour versions that were performed by Bruce alone. Little Steven guests on "Two Hearts", "Ramrod" and "Twist And Shout" - "Do You Love Me".

There is partial footage of ID on YT.

22 hours ago, JimCT said:

After 4 G-Dead shows in 5 nights, and an obligatory day in the office, on the night of 7/2 I hopped the big TWA bird to London for the 3 shows at the old Wembley stadium. I had an excellent scalper in NYC, Vance, who set me up with tickets thru some tout off Piccadilly Circus. Arrived at Heathrow, got checked in to my hotel at the Hilton there. then took the tube to fetch the tickets. Back to the hotel for a little nap, then tube off to Wembley. Show printed to start at 4, doors open at 2, 80,000 all GA. I got there ~30 minutes early and thru pure luck got to a gate that would open, and was part of the rush onto the pitch. Each show I got to about the same spot - 20-30 people deep off the stage, dead center. Each show I had some wonderful folks around me who marveled at the Yank with the taping gear in his bag.

While the most historical notes of this opening show were the world-premiere of his new song Seeds, Steve joining for the encores, and Nils just smoking a solo during Because the Night, the whole experience sticks in my mind. For that many people all GA the crowd was very manageable. At the break I went out to use the loo and fetch something to drink. One of the blokes asked me to bring him back a pint. When I got back to the same spot without issue, and with the pint, he was astonished.

This show, and each of the three shows, I was struck by how good the T&S sounded in the encore. 80,000 voices, all raised on T&S and unison singing in stadiums, never sounded so good together. The energy in the stadium was immense. Happy days!

About 15 years ago I digitized my recording of opening night for someone from the old SPL because this was his first show. While the middle night was out thru Crystal Cat ("Independence Night"), the first night wasn't.

1985-07-03 - WEMBLEY STADIUM, LONDON, ENGLAND

BORN IN THE U.S.A. / BADLANDS / DARLINGTON COUNTY / SEEDS / JOHNNY 99 / ATLANTIC CITY / THE RIVER / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY / TRAPPED / OUT IN THE STREET / GLORY DAYS / THE PROMISED LAND / MY HOMETOWN / THUNDER ROAD / COVER ME / DANCING IN THE DARK / HUNGRY HEART / CADILLAC RANCH / DOWNBOUND TRAIN / I'M ON FIRE / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE / BORN TO RUN / BOBBY JEAN / TWO HEARTS (with Steven Van Zandt) / RAMROD (with Steven Van Zandt) / TWIST AND SHOUT - DO YOU LOVE ME (with Steven Van Zandt)

First of three shows at Wembley Stadium. Set features the world premiere of "Seeds". Little Steven joins in for the final encores.

Great reminiscing. Thanks.

My view was pretty rubbish stuck by a pillar apart from when Bruce came out to the stage extension wings on songs like glory days and thunder road. My mum and I made the mistake of queuing for our T-shirts and programme. But Saturday 6th July 1985 changed my life forever.

I’ve still got my t-shirt and if I ever get to take my son to a show I will make sure he wears it. 

FF5A356A-F083-42C8-A267-9B1690B4D0D4.jpeg

0403C7E5-7ECE-4640-83B6-5519133FE297.jpeg

74408FC3-DEBE-487B-9662-14F343E0D04E.jpeg

• Like 6

4th July was my second ever Bruce show.

Got the overnight train down from Scotland, met some buddies at Paddington, tube up to Wemberleeeeee, pre gig beers, into the ground and hit a decent spot quite close (no pit in them days).

I don't know if I've ever seen a better show, a couple of the indoor jobs further on up the road maybe come close, but I'd probably still rank this as my favourite ever gig.

I recall getting a cramp in my calf during "out in the street" and trying to stretch it out while still giving it shit, I recall the three song back to back barnstormer "Hungry Heart", "Cadillac...." " Because the night" early in the second set......just a brilliant day and night.

If I could have access to one trip in a time machine this would be very close to being my choice.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

July 5th on my trip to London had no Bruce show. But I had seen that Dire Straits were playing Wembley Arena, so I packed my tape recorder and mic, blank cassettes and spare batteries, and headed off to see that show. Just wonderful!

This is one of those days I wish my masters and cassette decks weren't in storage a thousand miles away :( 

• Like 3

The last of the 3 nights at Wembley. A fine show, with Street Fighting Man added to the encores "especially for London". Doors opened at 2p, show started at 4p, and ended ~8p. Knowing about the Dire Straits show next door at the arena, I packed extra blank cassettes and batteries, and hurried out of Bruce and over to the arena so I could scalp a last-minute ticket for DS. Whata fine day of music! 

1985-07-06 - WEMBLEY STADIUM, LONDON, ENGLAND

BORN IN THE U.S.A. / BADLANDS / OUT IN THE STREET / SEEDS / JOHNNY 99 / HIGHWAY PATROLMAN / THE RIVER / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY / TRAPPED / DARLINGTON COUNTY / GLORY DAYS / THE PROMISED LAND / MY HOMETOWN / THUNDER ROAD / COVER ME / DANCING IN THE DARK / HUNGRY HEART / CADILLAC RANCH / DOWNBOUND TRAIN / I'M ON FIRE / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE / BORN TO RUN / BOBBY JEAN / TWO HEARTS (with Steven Van Zandt) / RAMROD (with Steven Van Zandt) / STREET FIGHTING MAN (with Steven Van Zandt) / TWIST AND SHOUT - DO YOU LOVE ME (with Steven Van Zandt)

Little Steven guests on the final encores. European debuts of "Highway Patrolman" and "Street Fighting Man", the latter in its last known Springsteen performance.

• Like 1

Apparently these photos from the first set of the third show 35 years ago today (Saturday 6th July) were uploaded to Facebook at the weekend. The person who saw them there has contacted the photographer (Tony Fitzpatrick) for me to see if I can purchase a set. I have a different set of photos from the stage which I purchased from Pete Still photography some years back, but these newly released photos are not his work. 

I can’t believe the crowd shot pics with Bruce at the stage wing podium is exactly where I was sat by that grey pillar! I keep scanning them to see if I can find my 12 year old self with my mum :rolleyes: