Sign in to follow this  
TomorrowNeverKnows

Pink Cadillac...The Song.

This is one of my favorite Springsteen songs and I have loved it ever since buying the 7` single as a kid just for this song in late 1984.
But it has always bothered me a little that the recording is in mono :( and mono recordings is ...at least to me...hard to enjoy while listening when using headphones.
The DITD single back in the 80s is always marked as stereo recording on both sides but thats just likely because the label makers took for granted that all songs in the 80s is stereo and so was this one.
Only japan got it right and they wrote MONO on the label as picture below shows.
A few friends of mine who is also Bruce fans isnt bothered about it beeing in mono so its probably just me.
They hear the big difference when listening with headphones and compares any of the BITU album tracks vs this one but they are ok with it,so they say.

monost10.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe because it's a rockabilly song they wanted some authenticity.

Besides, don't ever rely on Bruce Inc., to get things right. His catalogue is littered with errors, omissions and typos. The payroll has never stretched to a proof reader.

Nice loud and crisp mix on it, though.

• Like 3

Never knew or heard it was in mono! Then, I have never been much of a fan of the song. Maybe, it was the mono-sound that put me off without me knowing it:

51 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Maybe because it's a rockabilly song they wanted some authenticity.

Besides, don't ever rely on Bruce Inc., to get things right. His catalogue is littered with errors, omissions and typos. The payroll has never stretched to a proof reader.

Nice loud and crisp mix on it, though.

Agree the authenticity thing must be the reason.
Would be nice if a stereo version would be included on Tracks2 or on a BITU box set ....if ever released.
But somehow I doubt this will happen,the song release that is. 

• Like 1

I think it’s a Steve van Zandt thing he likes mono versions and he produced the song maybe that explains a lot

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Marnix said:

I think it’s a Steve van Zandt thing he likes mono versions and he produced the song maybe that explains a lot

You're probably right. I've read several long tweet-threads of his on the subject of mono mixes!

Spector, of course, recorded in mono. Arguably the greatest collection of pop songs ever made.

But, the 'stereo mixes' on YT are a revelation.

On 7/3/2020 at 5:17 PM, thomam said:

You're probably right. I've read several long tweet-threads of his on the subject of mono mixes!

Thanks....and Marnix.
I didnt know this,does that mean that there are other Bruce songs that is in mono?

On 7/5/2020 at 6:08 PM, Early North Jersey said:

Wow ....one of my favorites .....And never realized it was in Mono ....so of course NOW i want the Stereo mix

I dont see that happening anytime soon ....or ever....as I have waited 35 years for the stereo mix :/

5 hours ago, TomorrowNeverKnows said:

I dont see that happening anytime soon ....or ever....as I have waited 35 years for the stereo mix :/

You are probably right ....On the other hand ....they waited a long time to do a lot of things !!!....Maybe the BITUSA Boxset....You know ...if THAT ever comes out

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 2:31 PM, Early North Jersey said:

.On the other hand ....they waited a long time to do a lot of things !!!....Maybe the BITUSA Boxset....You know ...if THAT ever comes out

Thats a big IF indeed.
I hope so.