Sign in to follow this  
rahmensee

Live in NYC - a butcher's work?

Recommended Posts

Ah, I never realised that Clarence and Bruce image was used as the logo for the tour. That puts a whole different complexion on the cover and actually makes some sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Frank said:

As for the album artwork, things were proper made, I think (before the bonus addition that I mentioned before, I mean). The central picture was the 'Tour 1999-(2000)' (it was never called reunion tour at the time, btw)  main logo. The stars might have been a clin d'oeil to the flag stripes of the 'Born in the USA' artwork, but that's all. Also, if memory, the artwork was realized in the collaboration with art printmaker Jim Sherraden.

Again, the album was intended to feature the soundtrack of the HBO special (the sticker on the plastic wrap made it abundantly clear), which had no cover, of course.

What is somewhat strange is the different DVD artwork (pretty poorly done, in terms of design and picture resolution), especially if one considers the aforementioned Sherraden connection. The DVD came out some nine months after the CD, so such a rushed artwork remains a mystery.

My personal guess is that after 9/11 (the DVD release was announced in mid September 2001 and came out in November of the same year) Bruce&CO might have wanted something less bombastic and more sober. Or maybe they wanted to focus on the 'American Skin' controversy (which I doubt), given that the chosen front cover is basically the, "We need some quiet" photogram.  But we will never know, I guess. 

 

 

Back up the bus Jack 

You telling me the cd release predates the dvd ?

This puts a whole new spin on things 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Back up the bus Jack 

You telling me the cd release predates the dvd ?

This puts a whole new spin on things 

Yes, the CD came out at the end of March 2001, the DVD in early November 2001. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

The strangeness of the album starts with the cover... a recreation of a BITUSA era live image. 

And visually there is no correlation with the later LINYC DVD... the colour scheme, font, artwork all completely different so it is not immediately clear the two products are even related.

Given the great Reunion era show we just got a few days ago, plus the three earlier ones and the fact we know there is more in the vault (at the very least, further MSG 2000 material) it does beg the question as to why they didn't release a more thought out 2 or 3 CD compilation of the whole tour at the time. Especially given how Bruce espoused the tour as a 'rededication' of the band and his contemporaneous praise of how well the band played on that tour.

@BosstralianBackstreets had a piece on the cover back in the day, and the cover makes so much more sense when you know the thought processes behind it. Far from a BITUSA-era reimagining, really, and I like the cover more when I know the background story. It was  properly made cover.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

 it does beg the question as to why they didn't release a more thought out 2 or 3 CD compilation of the whole tour at the time

Because Live In NYC, the cd, was initially nothing more than the soundtrack to the HBO special (as others already said).

Things changed a bit with the adding of the 'bonus tracks'.

And 3CD's; maybe they thought that would be too much, making the product too expensive for more casual buyers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Because Live In NYC, the cd, was initially nothing more than the soundtrack to the HBO special (as others already said).

Things changed a bit with the adding of the 'bonus tracks'.

And 3CD's; maybe they thought that would be too much, making the product too expensive for more casual buyers.

 

More confusion

Is the dvd different to the HBO special ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

More confusion

Is the dvd different to the HBO special ?

This I think I know, without ever seeing the HBO special. But DVD one is basically what was shown on TV, the second disc is extra bonuses effectively. I stand to be corrected, but that's how I understand it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

This I think I know, without ever seeing the HBO special. But DVD one is basically what was shown on TV, the second disc is extra bonuses effectively. I stand to be corrected, but that's how I understand it.

2nd disk best thing since

white-slice-loaf-lo-res-1.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

2nd disk best thing since

white-slice-loaf-lo-res-1.jpg

You mean best thing since

 

FB0D08EC-1069-43B6-8B0A-1D6F2A29E049.jpeg

  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

You mean best thing since

 

FB0D08EC-1069-43B6-8B0A-1D6F2A29E049.jpeg

This is why i should be an American :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Is the dvd different to the HBO special ?

    Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band   Live In New York
    Songs from the DVD that are not on the CD

  1  Backstreets                                        7-1-2000
  2  Don't Look Back                              6-29-2000
  3  Darkness On The Edge Of Town    6-29-2000
  4  Light Of Day                                      7-1-2000
  5  The Promise                                      7-1-2000
  6  Thunder Road                                 6-29-2000
  7  E Street Shuffle                                 7-1-2000
  8  My Hometown                                6-29-2000
  9  This Hard Land                               6-29-2000
8 and 9 from limited edition CD single

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

More confusion

Is the dvd different to the HBO special ?

 

21 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

This I think I know, without ever seeing the HBO special. But DVD one is basically what was shown on TV, the second disc is extra bonuses effectively.

That's right: so there is the HBO special, which is Disc 1 of the DVD (without the New York City Serenade doc, obviously; and initially also without Born To Run); 6 more 'bonus tracks' on the second CD (again, initially without Born To Run on the first CD); and 5 more 'extra tracks' on Disc 2 of the DVD. And 2 more audio tracks on a limited edition cd single. Add to this the fact both Light Of Day and Tenth Avenue are a hybrid of the 29 June and 1 July performances and it can be, well, confusing indeed.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

    Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band   Live In New York
    Songs from the DVD that are not on the CD

  1  Backstreets                                        7-1-2000
  2  Don't Look Back                              6-29-2000
  3  Darkness On The Edge Of Town    6-29-2000
  4  Light Of Day                                      7-1-2000
  5  The Promise                                      7-1-2000
  6  Thunder Road                                 6-29-2000
  7  E Street Shuffle                                 7-1-2000
  8  My Hometown                                6-29-2000
  9  This Hard Land                               6-29-2000
8 and 9 from limited edition CD single

That version of This Hard Land is one of my favourites. When they did the big digital drop of EPs / B Sides a while ago I wish they had included that limited edition CD also.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess 29/6/2000 must be a contender for release through the Archive series at some stage anyway...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

I guess 29/6/2000 must be a contender for release through the Archive series at some stage anyway...

I actually wouldn’t mind that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About all the cut-work, it always strange when you know that VERY PROBABLY some shots aren't sync with the audio track.. I kind of notice that with "Thunder Road" where apparently there's a lot of cut with video from June 27, June 29 and July 1st. or Out in the Street..

Still, it's sad they didn't make a big compilation from those 10 shows because each one of them are definitely unique and sums up perfectly (and strangely) all the past great shows from the band's "young period" and the setlist are definitely great

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 1:06 AM, phantomengineer said:

    Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band   Live In New York
    Songs from the DVD that are not on the CD

  1  Backstreets                                        7-1-2000
  2  Don't Look Back                              6-29-2000
  3  Darkness On The Edge Of Town    6-29-2000
  4  Light Of Day                                      7-1-2000
  5  The Promise                                      7-1-2000
  6  Thunder Road                                 6-29-2000
  7  E Street Shuffle                                 7-1-2000
  8  My Hometown                                6-29-2000
  9  This Hard Land                               6-29-2000
8 and 9 from limited edition CD single

The audio track Thunder Road is from June 27 (the beggining) and from July 1st... The video includes maybe few shots from June 29

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this