Greasy Lake Community

Washington Caucasians

JustDan

From across the pond Redtails seems like a no-brainer. A degree of titular continuity & pays homage to a group of heroes who stand out even in a time when heroes walked (& flew & sailed) the earth in their thousands.

• Like 1

Washington Redskins are no more. But a trademark hobbyist snatched up the good names

TJ Macias

July 13, 2020, 12:31 PM

The Washington Redskins announced on Monday that the team is retiring its controversial nickname, one that many consider racist, and logo after a thorough review that started on July 3.

However, the path to trademarking the new name might be difficult thanks to one man’s “hobby.”

When whispers of a name change started in 2014, Martin McCaulay, a 61-year-old actuary who lives in Alexandria, Virginia, filed 44 trademark claims to potential nicknames for the D.C.-based team, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported.

“I can really see into the future on this issue,” McCaulay said to Fox 5 in 2015. “Now when I look into the future, I see no change for 10 years, and then in 10 years, I see the name changing to the Washington Warriors. And if not the Warriors, then the Americans.”

It only took five years — and from the looks of it, McCaulay added a few more nicknames to that list.

According to CBS Sports reporter Will Brinson, those names include:

·        The Washington Red Wolves

·        The Washington Monuments

·        The Washington Veterans

While the Warriors and Americans monikers are still possibly on the table, McCaulay added nearly every possible nickname that has been floating around the internet since the Washington, D.C, team announced it was reviewing the name.

“It was, I thought, a fun hobby,” McCaulay said to the Times-Dispatch. “And it turned out that I got really good at it.”

Trademarking a name with the United States Patent and Trademark Office doesn’t guarantee a massive payout since the holder has to use the term in question, which is why McCaulay says he spent thousands creating team merchandise to sell, the Times-Dispatch reported.

“A squatter reserves a name with no intention to use it,” McCaulay told the Times-Dispatch. “I went to the extreme of buying a lot of merchandise, making it my brand, and selling it.”

Trademarking names and key phrases isn’t uncommon. Some people have even been trying to cash in on the COVID-19 pandemic by trademarking the phrase “I survived coronavirus quarantine 2020” and “Warning My Ride is Sicker Than the Coronavirus,” McClatchy News reported.

It’s been five years since McCaulay took his “hobby” and created the website WashingtonAmericansFootball.com, patiently waiting for the day that it will pay out — something that might happen this time around.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, gsquare said:

Washington Redskins are no more. But a trademark hobbyist snatched up the good names

TJ Macias

July 13, 2020, 12:31 PM

The Washington Redskins announced on Monday that the team is retiring its controversial nickname, one that many consider racist, and logo after a thorough review that started on July 3.

However, the path to trademarking the new name might be difficult thanks to one man’s “hobby.”

When whispers of a name change started in 2014, Martin McCaulay, a 61-year-old actuary who lives in Alexandria, Virginia, filed 44 trademark claims to potential nicknames for the D.C.-based team, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported.

“I can really see into the future on this issue,” McCaulay said to Fox 5 in 2015. “Now when I look into the future, I see no change for 10 years, and then in 10 years, I see the name changing to the Washington Warriors. And if not the Warriors, then the Americans.”

It only took five years — and from the looks of it, McCaulay added a few more nicknames to that list.

According to CBS Sports reporter Will Brinson, those names include:

·        The Washington Red Wolves

·        The Washington Monuments

·        The Washington Veterans

While the Warriors and Americans monikers are still possibly on the table, McCaulay added nearly every possible nickname that has been floating around the internet since the Washington, D.C, team announced it was reviewing the name.

“It was, I thought, a fun hobby,” McCaulay said to the Times-Dispatch. “And it turned out that I got really good at it.”

Trademarking a name with the United States Patent and Trademark Office doesn’t guarantee a massive payout since the holder has to use the term in question, which is why McCaulay says he spent thousands creating team merchandise to sell, the Times-Dispatch reported.

“A squatter reserves a name with no intention to use it,” McCaulay told the Times-Dispatch. “I went to the extreme of buying a lot of merchandise, making it my brand, and selling it.”

Trademarking names and key phrases isn’t uncommon. Some people have even been trying to cash in on the COVID-19 pandemic by trademarking the phrase “I survived coronavirus quarantine 2020” and “Warning My Ride is Sicker Than the Coronavirus,” McClatchy News reported.

It’s been five years since McCaulay took his “hobby” and created the website WashingtonAmericansFootball.com, patiently waiting for the day that it will pay out — something that might happen this time around.

I respect the hustle. If they didn't stubbornly cling to a racist name all those years, they wouldn't have to worry about buying trademarks.

• Hug 1

On 7/9/2020 at 3:28 PM, sonicramone said:

I’m sure “Washington Caucasians” would be seen as a white supremacist move and be disallowed by the wild powers that be.  

Actually, the shirt would've probably gotten the guy killed if it said 'Washington Crackers'... 'Caucasians' is much a-do about nothing if'n you ask me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

How about the "Washington Nothings" perfect if you ask me. 

I aint care bro...Not my team. I just thought it was an interesting & funny story. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sonicramone said:

Next on the chopping block will be "Washington".  They can be called the "Nothing Nothings".

You aint that far off. There's a group calling for all DC teams to go by the hyphenated DC & drop Washington. They have the support of the mayor & a couple big wigs on the city council. They think it'd be good PR to promote DC statehood.

Ok, yea...They've been getting pressure from BLM about George being a proponent of slavery and the fact that he owned slaves. Maybe they can change the city's name from Washington to Lincoln.....How you gunna like that one, eh? ;)

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy James said:

Hey what about the Chiefs, Braves, Indians, Seminoles, The Fighting Illini, Blackhawks. 

The Chiefs, Blackhawks & Braves said no. They wont change. The Braves say they are thinking of doing away with the tomahawk chop chant, though. The Indians are "looking at other options". Florida State has permission from the Seminole Nation to use the name. I don't know about Illinois.

1 minute ago, JustDan said:

The Chiefs, Blackhawks & Braves said no. They wont change. The Braves say they are thinking of doing away with the tomahawk chop chant, though. The Indians are "looking at other options". Florida State has permission from the Seminole Nation to use the name. I don't know about Illinois.

Florida State has permission until they don't have permission.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JustDan said:

See I think they all should go for it. Look at all the new marketing items. New hats, jerseys, license plate covers. So on. 

Believe me, the Washington Redskin organization nor the NFL will suffer for this, it's just another opportunity.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I guess your Red Hawks are OK? 

See I get afraid with anything "Red" in the name anymore. 

We were the Redskins until right after I graduated.   Red-tailed hawks are a prevalent bird species in our neck of the woods.  I have no problem with changing the name to Redhawks....though my school is named Miami University after the Miami Tribe.

Our favorite baseball team, the Cincinnati Reds, had to re-brand their name in the forties and fifties so as not to conjure up the imagery of massive death and destruction caused by the Communist red scourge of the Soviet Union.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JustDan said:

You aint that far off. There's a group calling for all DC teams to go by the hyphenated DC & drop Washington. They have the support of the mayor & a couple big wigs on the city council. They think it'd be good PR to promote DC statehood.

Ok, yea...They've been getting pressure from BLM about George being a proponent of slavery and the fact that he owned slaves. Maybe they can change the city's name from Washington to Lincoln.....How you gunna like that one, eh? ;)

Sorry thats just fucking redicoulss

Regardless of who the actual town is called after, the city has its own identity 100 fold

Its the nation's capital for God's sake

Its sports teams should have their home in their name

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I guess your Red Hawks are OK? 

See I get afraid with anything "Red" in the name anymore. 

I hate red, always have 

Im sure its at least somewhat subconsciously political 

From reds under the bed all the way to Jisinta's front door :lol:

Its not a colour i suit anyway

Just glad lad Otago is blue and gold 

Our arch rivals and neighbour Canterbury wear red and black so no way would i wear red

3 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Sorry thats just fucking redicoulss

Regardless of who the actual town is called after, the city has its own identity 100 fold

Its the nation's capital for God's sake

Its sports teams should have their home in their name

um, the District of Columbia is their home as much as Washington is. It's the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I think dropping 'Washington' is pretty overdone. On the other hand, hardly anyone in America calls it Washington anymore...Pretty much anyone around here just calls it DC, or 'The District'. It's on every team's jersey xept the Deadskins.

The Nats...

m_5cb65215fe19c746c8524bc4.jpeg

The Wiz...

ff_3467951-5281e75787b7b7975d92alt1_full

DC-U

dt_c2_DCUN.jpg

• Thanks 1