Greasy Lake Community

I'll delete mine - yours wasn't here when I started typing.

So sad to read how his life ended. 

I met him at the christening of my niece. He was grandad to another child being christened that day. I took my son over to say hello and he was lovely

• Like 1
Just now, Eileen said:

I'll delete mine - yours wasn't here when I started typing.

So sad to read how his life ended. 

I met him at the christening of my niece. He was grandad to another child being christened that day. I took my son over to say hello and he was lovely

I met him and Sir Bobby in the BA Lounge at Heathrow. Talk about awestruck!

• Like 1

If only remembered for what he did for Ireland he would still be a great ... but 773 games for Leeds Over 21 years is amazing only caught the end of that career and possibly only ever saw him on tv at the 72 cup final...

rip jack Charlton

Legend of a guy.

Never saw him play but as a gaffer, he lifted an entire nation.

It maybe wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing but no Irishman gave a toss about that during their glory years.

I've seen him described as "Ireland's most loved Englishman" in the obits, I once (back in the day) saw him described by an Irish scribe as "The greatest Englishman since Parnell" (I'm pretty sure Parnell wasn't in fact English but can't be bothered Googling just now).

During the 90s, Ireland was close to a second home for me and I met Big Jack once at Dublin airport, early/mid 90s.

Total gent of a guy, as down to earth as you'd imagine.

Me and my buddy were wearing kilts, either pre or post a (one of many) lad's weekend in Dublin.

He said " I bet the lasses like you dressed in those things" I goes "Aye, when you're as ugly as us you take every advantage you can get!" and he had  good laugh.

I still have the boarding pass that I got him to sign.

RIP Big Man, some of my fondest fitba memories were watching the boys in green during the glory days. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Ian Price said:

0_h_00230552.thumb.jpg.4426ee34e06f151794ebba46e4bbfdbe.jpg

I always watch "The big match revisited".

Last week showed a cup tie between Man U and Southampton at The Dell, 77 I think.

Cracking game, 2-2, afterwards they went into the players lounge and interviewed a few players.

The "lounge" looked like a kitchen that'd been stripped for the decorators and the only drink on offer seemed to be the wee "stubbie" cans of lager.

Anyway, there was more than a few tabs on the go in the lounge.

Different times.

Sorry to hear this sad news this morning.

Jack Charlton was some guy. A good, hard, intimidating centre half for Leeds, a World Cup winner for England, and an excellent manager both at club level and especially at international level for Ireland. A real character and as has been said one of the games good guys. Sad to see so many of Revie's great Leeds side passing away at around the same time.

RIP Jack.

• Like 1