Greasy Lake Community

What's the crack with February 16th, 2014 - Melbourne, AU?

I have no intentions of causing anymore uproar with the whole official releases vs audience recordings thing, but what I thought was real is getting turned on its head today.

I was under the impression that this show was never officially released - whatever the reason, whether Bruce was mortal, hungover or tired, that doesn't actually matter too much at the minute - but I've been informed both on here and BTX today that it was officially released? Really?

Brucebase states that "The official concert recording is currently listed as 'unavailable' on the Live Nation website." Is it unavailable because like May 18th, 2014 - Uncasville, CT it was released and then pulled? Or because it was never available in the first place?

Genuine clarification would be nice here, because with all due respect I'm not too sure if people are getting 

2014-02-16 - AAMI PARK, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

BORN IN THE U.S.A. / BADLANDS / LUCKY TOWN / ROULETTE / GROWIN' UP / WRECKING BALL / DEATH TO MY HOMETOWN / HIGH HOPES / JUST LIKE FIRE WOULD / LOST IN THE FLOOD / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / THUNDER ROAD / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / NIGHT / BACKSTREETS / BORN TO RUN / SHE'S THE ONE / MEETING ACROSS THE RIVER / JUNGLELAND / HEAVEN'S WALL / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / THE RISING / THE GHOST OF TOM JOAD / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / WE ARE ALIVE / RAMROD / BOBBY JEAN / DANCING IN THE DARK / TWIST AND SHOUT / THIS HARD LAND

The second night in Melbourne brings a full album performance of Born To Run, including tour premiere "Meeting Across the River". Ragged versions of the tour's lone "Lucky Town" and "Roulette" are played early on, as is "Growin' Up" with an extended story about… growing up and Bruce taking a guitar solo in place of Clarence's saxophone, as he will throughout the tour. "This Hard Land" is the solo acoustic version. First ever performances in Australia of "Lucky Town", "Roulette", and "Meeting Across The River". "Shackled And Drawn" is dropped for the first time on the tour. Hunters & Collectors and Dan Sultan open. Patti Scialfa is not present.

mixed up with 

2014-02-15 - AAMI PARK, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

Soundcheck: HIGH HOPES / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / JUST LIKE FIRE WOULD (X4)

HIGHWAY TO HELL (with Eddie Vedder) / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN (with Eddie Vedder) / BADLANDS / SEEDS / HIGH HOPES / JUST LIKE FIRE WOULD / JOLÉ BLON / HUNGRY HEART / BORN IN THE U.S.A. / COVER ME / DARLINGTON COUNTY / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY / DOWNBOUND TRAIN / I'M ON FIRE / NO SURRENDER / BOBBY JEAN / I'M GOIN' DOWN / GLORY DAYS / DANCING IN THE DARK / MY HOMETOWN / FACTORY / SHACKLED AND DRAWN / THE GHOST OF TOM JOAD / THE RISING / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / HEAVEN'S WALL / BORN TO RUN / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / SEVEN NIGHTS TO ROCK / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / SHOUT / THUNDER ROAD

First of two nights in Melbourne. Hunters & Collectors and Dan Sultan performed as opening acts. Eddie Vedder joins the band on both "Highway to Hell" and "Darkness On The Edge Of Town". The first tour premiere is the tour's lone "Jolé Blon" after which Melbourne sees the first full album performance this tour of Born In The U.S.A., which includes tour premieres for "I'm Goin' Down" and "My Hometown". First ever performance in Australia of "Jolé Blon". Patti Scialfa is not present.

So please, Greasy Lake, do what you do and ease the mind of Paolo's Circus Story. Thank you for your time. 

I mean, I can't guarantee it 100%, but since 2014 I'm under the impression they never released 2014-02-16. I'm pretty sure they never did and I remember being really bummed out about it because the setlist was so good!

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, 1651997 said:

I mean, I can't guarantee it 100%, but since 2014 I'm under the impression they never released 2014-02-16. I'm pretty sure they never did and I remember being really bummed out about it because the setlist was so good!

Yeah I've always been under the impression that it was a bad showing for Bruce after a night on the drink and that he shut down the possibility of Live Nation putting it out. Hopefully someone can guarantee it 100% though hahaha.

17 minutes ago, lilbud said:

I think the 16th was the night Bruce was drunk or at least a little tipsy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
39 minutes ago, lilbud said:

I also thought this

Like why we have no D& D dvd

We don't care you were a bit tippsy Bruce

A good proportion of your audience is tippsy to say the least,  at any given time

• Like 1

Well, I guess I can't 100% guarantee it because memory can play tricks but I'm 99.99% percent sure that the show was never officially released. The 2014 tour was a big deal for us in Oz but also a bigger deal for the wider Bruce community with full show downloads becoming available for the first time ever. As such, the fact the second night in Melbourne never appeared for official download created a lot of fuss and discussion at the time which I can recall.

Further, because of the novelty of the downloads and the setlist variety for the 2014 tour, I was keen to either purchase or (at risk of perjury from the live recording officials) trade for all shows on the tour. I have the officially released audio for every 2014 Oz show except the Melbourne one. On that basis alone, I'm as confident as the vagaries of memory permit to state this show was never officially released at the time.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

Well, I guess I can't 100% guarantee it because memory can play tricks but I'm 99.99% percent sure that the show was never officially released. The 2014 tour was a big deal for us in Oz but also a bigger deal for the wider Bruce community with full show downloads becoming available for the first time ever. As such, the fact the second night in Melbourne never appeared for official download created a lot of fuss and discussion at the time which I can recall.

Further, because of the novelty of the downloads and the setlist variety for the 2014 tour, I was keen to either purchase or (at risk of perjury from the live recording officials) trade for all shows on the tour. I have the officially released audio for every 2014 Oz show except the Melbourne one. On that basis alone, I'm as confident as the vagaries of memory permit to state this show was never officially released at the time.

I can back you up on every word 

But the shows are currently on a memory stick in a moving box somewhere 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

Thanks for this. 

So I'm 99.99% safe to request an audience recording from somewhere?

• Like 2
Just now, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Thanks for this. 

So I'm 99.99% safe to request an audience recording from somewhere?

That would be an awsome one to shear on the bootleg thread ....

Hint hint ;)

• Like 2

It was never released. I have always been a bit bemused by the discussion on this board, and the accepted fact that it wasn't released because Bruce was hungover.  I was there, and it was an excellent (long) show. I can't testify to the size of his hangover, but it didn't affect my enjoyment.

The only recording that I know of was recorded by one of my brucebuds at the time, Mark, and I have previously shared it with a few prople on this board.  I've just had a quick look for it and can't find it.  If no one else can put it up, I'll look harder.

I'd be really interested to hear what Paolo and others think of the show.

• Like 5
49 minutes ago, Humphrey B Bear said:

It was never released. I have always been a bit bemused by the discussion on this board, and the accepted fact that it wasn't released because Bruce was hungover.  I was there, and it was an excellent (long) show. I can't testify to the size of his hangover, but it didn't affect my enjoyment.

The only recording that I know of was recorded by one of my brucebuds at the time, Mark, and I have previously shared it with a few prople on this board.  I've just had a quick look for it and can't find it.  If no one else can put it up, I'll look harder.

I'd be really interested to hear what Paolo and others think of the show.

Glad to know, but not surprised it was a great show

Are you doing ok over there Mr Bear ?

You are in Melbourne i think 

5 hours ago, lilbud said:

I recall something like Bruce had stayed up late getting drunk with Eddie Vedder and then he woke up REALLY late, just barely before the show (as I'd swear he noted to the crowd), and hungover, so maybe he had a little "hair of the dog" that bit him to help him go on with the show. Not sure, but that's what I recall reading, hearing.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

I recall something like Bruce had stayed up late getting drunk with Eddie Vedder and then he woke up REALLY late, just barely before the show (as I'd swear he noted to the crowd), and hungover, so maybe he had a little "hair of the dog" that bit him to help him go on with the show. Not sure, but that's what I recall reading, hearing.

That does indeed sound familiar

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

This is my recollection also. Plus there seemed to be a delay before issue. From memory you could wait a couple of weeks and them 3 could drop on the same day.

• Like 4

Milwaukee 2 October 1975 the whole band was a little bit 'tipsy' after the break and the performance was so great just because they were not sober.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Milwaukee 2 October 1975 the whole band was a little bit 'tipsy' after the break and the performance was so great just because they were not sober.

Great show!

And Bruce was drunk outta his skull!

What did one reporter write? "I have seen the future of rock and roll and he is on my windshield." Something like that!

• Like 2

I concur with @Humphrey B Bear it was never released - easy to spot, as it was the full BTR album show, which was on my radar as a purchase at the time... but it never arrived.

Especially cruel given the presence of Twist & Shout and the blissful absence of Shout...

• Like 1
11 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

This is the truth - I dunno about the hair of the dog bit - but he'd been out on the town with Morello/Vedder the night before and referenced having only woken up an hour ago 

106670373_1488902734614839_5719217537956

His voice was very rough during BitUSA opener and he made several mistakes - missing the intro in Roulette - and something went amiss during Lucky Town. The show was very long, one of the longest ever, but also featured lots of long, storytelling segments. Bruce was clearly unhappy with how it sounded. A rare misstep. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have all the officially released shows (I skip Starbucks and instead invest in Bruce) and the 2/16 show was never released, which was devastating to my "gotta have 'em all!" collector's mentality. I have heard the audience recording and yeah, there are some goofs but I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to my Springsteen. I did get the 5/18/14 Uncasville when it was first released, and I'm glad I did, I love their live take on "Seven Angels." (Can live without the cover of Jump, however...)

• Like 3

im on desktop ( as i want to download this show and its flack )

first time for ages on laptop

gotta remember how to type and stuff

listening on my phone thanks to my psydo Italian friend and @mickb

his voice sounds fine to me

first time ive listened to an audience recording for ages, i can hear Tommy Commie's guitar

ive heard much much worse (audience recordings)

its long anoyed me this release was missing from my collection

I am somewhat fondly remembered of the morning i went to work after 3 hours sleep after a whole bottle of port, still pissed as a fart walking along the waterfront to work - work was great till the hangover hit 

• Like 1

Tommy is murdering high hopes with his usual wank

You know politics aside, those messy guitar strings aside

I just really hate what he sounds like :angry: