Greasy Lake Community

The river - the best triple album of all time

34 minutes ago, robk1 said:

I would have had him relocate to England

Hey! Did we try to steal the Beatles & Stone away from y'all? That's not very neighborly.

Bruce is as American as apple pie & peanut butter 'n jelly, as much as the Beatles & Stones are as English as afternoon tea and crumpets. They belong in their respective home countries....(Ok, so John Lennon moved here but that was his choice)

:P

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

Even if a 3 disc collection of bar songs and ballads is fine I'd go with my own little double

1. The Ties That Bind
  2. From Small Things
  3. Crush on You
  4. I Wanna Marry You
  5. Hungry Heart

6. Stolen Car (Tracks version)
  7. The Time That Never Was
  8. Drive All Night
  9. Wreck on the Highway

10. Where the Bands Are
  11. Out in the Street
  12. Cadillac Ranch
  13. Sherry Darling
  14. Fade Away

15. Point Blank
  16. The Price You Pay
  17. Stolen Car
  18. The River
  • Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Side 1: The Ties That Bind, Sherry Darling, Jackson Cage, Two Hearts, Independence Day (no reason at all to change Side 1, it's perfect).

Side 2: Hungry Heart, Living On The Edge Of The World, Crush On You, You Can Look (Ties That Bind album version), I Wanna Marry You, The River.

Side 3: Meet Me In The City, The Man Who Got Away, Where The Bands Are, Be True, Party Lights.

Side 4: Roulette, Take 'Em As They Come, I Wanna Be With You, Bring On The Night, Ricky Wants A Man Of Her Own, From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come).

Side 5: Restless Nights, Cadillac Ranch, Loose Ends, Fade Away, Son You May Kiss The Bride.

Side 6: Ramrod, Held Up Without A Gun, The Price You Pay, Point Blank (1978 version), Wreck On The Highway.

• Bruuuuce! 1

8 hours ago, stillilllife said:

Currently trying to make a tracklist for this.
I'm on 29 tracks and I want 30.
The two songs I have to choose between for that last song is Ricky wants a man of her own and I wanna marry you...It's really hard to decide!

Ricky !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JustDan said:

Hey! Did we try to steal the Beatles & Stone away from y'all? That's not very neighborly.

Bruce is as American as apple pie & peanut butter 'n jelly, as much as the Beatles & Stones are as English as afternoon tea and crumpets. They belong in their respective home countries....(Ok, so John Lennon moved here but that was his choice)

:P

Your right on the money Dan

It just would not have worked Bruce being English and rock & roll

He doesn't have a chip on his shoulder 

6 hours ago, robk1 said:

I would have had him relocate to England, ditch Max and beg Vinny to come back.Probably ditch Steve as well.

I'd record the EP in London ( Archway studio probably) with Nick Lowe producing.

The EP would run: Ties, Price,Stolen Car, Independence Day. Hungry Heart and close with The Way. It would be called The Way.

The singles would be: Be True bw Fade Away and about 6 weeks later The River bw Point Blank. I'd have him record one at Strawberry Studios in Stockport with Martin Hamnett producing.

I'd also squeeze in a Peel Session where the only track would be an extended Drive All Night, with David Sancious guesting.

A guy has got to dream.

Its fun to dream 

That's some dream :lol:

18 hours ago, Lampi said:

Side 1: The Ties That Bind, Sherry Darling, Jackson Cage, Two Hearts, Independence Day (no reason at all to change Side 1, it's perfect).

Side 2: Hungry Heart, Living On The Edge Of The World, Crush On You, You Can Look (Ties That Bind album version), I Wanna Marry You, The River.

Side 3: Meet Me In The City, The Man Who Got Away, Where The Bands Are, Be True, Party Lights.

Side 4: Roulette, Take 'Em As They Come, I Wanna Be With You, Bring On The Night, Ricky Wants A Man Of Her Own, From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come).

Side 5: Restless Nights, Cadillac Ranch, Loose Ends, Fade Away, Son You May Kiss The Bride.

Side 6: Ramrod, Held Up Without A Gun, The Price You Pay, Point Blank (1978 version), Wreck On The Highway.

A lot of stodge in there mate.

Thank you for making this thread! The River is my favourite Bruce album so it was fun to both add my favourite outtakes and to keep only my favourite album tracks (16 outtakes and 14 album tracks). It was also fun to arrange the tracklist. I listened to it from start to finish yesterday and it feels like it flows pretty well!

• Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, stillilllife said:

Thank you for making this thread! The River is my favourite Bruce album so it was fun to both add my favourite outtakes and to keep only my favourite album tracks (16 outtakes and 14 album tracks). It was also fun to arrange the tracklist. I listened to it from start to finish yesterday and it feels like it flows pretty well!

9 times out of 10 my threads sink like the Titanic :lol:

I love your album

I might even save it as my first ever play list :o

The river was my first foray into the back catalogue, i listened to it every day for about 18 months

I wish he would play more of the outakes

• Love Love Love! 1

Tried to make a single album (10 tracks) version now...Really hard. This is what I ended up with:

Side 1

1. The Ties That Bind
2. Jackson Cage
3. Two Hearts
4. Stolen Car (Tracks Version)
5. Independence Day

Side 2

1. The River
2. Be True
3. The Time That Never Was
4. The Price You Pay
5. Wreck on the Highway

• Like 2

I don't know what order I'd want (and sequencing is pretty crucial),

but I'd want these songs on a double LP version:

From the album: The Ties That Bind, Jackson Cage, Two Hearts, Independence Day, Out In The Street, Crush On You, You Can Look, The River, Cadillac Ranch, The Price You Pay.

Not from the album: Held Up Without A Gun, Roulette, Restless Nights, Where The Bands Are, Loose Ends (the Ties That Bind original mix), Take 'em As They Come, I Wanna Be With You, From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come), Stolen Car, Living On The Edge Of The World, Dollhouse, and either Little White Lies or Be True.

I'd leave off Sherry Darling cause it's too slick, the band making "party sounds" doesn't sound nearly as good as the '77 outtakes that's circulated forever.

Then again it's a great song so maybe since I'm already at 22 songs (albeit none long, and Held Up Without A Gun very short), I'd add it in. If I had to have an even six songs a side I'd add I'm A Rocker, unless there could be a version of Meet Me In The City actually recorded back then.

If there was, in the vaults, a studio version of Chain Lightning with the arrangement that's heard (with vocals sadly faint) on the Lost Masters, and also a studio finished version of Slow Fade as well, I'd choose these over Sherry Darling and I'm A Rocker, and maybe also take Meet Me In The City over the fun, Stones-influenced Crush On You, which is in no way terrible like many make it out to be, but the outtakes destroy it.

I'd want the album to either open with The Ties That Bind or Roulette; if not Roulette as the opening track, maybe as the final one.

• Like 1

Single album...not difficult at all...

...at least assuming -like I said in my 3 albums tracklist- Side 1 is so perfect there is no reason at all to change it.

5 songs also on Side 2 (could also be 6 songs on both sides, why not, a 12 song single album; and even 13 songs when including the very short Held Up Without A Gun; but for now: a 10 song single album). You can't leave out The Price You Pay and The River and also not Wreck On The Highway as closing song. So there are only 2 additional songs. Then it's this:

Side 1: The Ties That Bind, Sherry Darling, Jackson Cage, Two Hearts, Independence Day.

Side 2: Take ' Em As They Come, The Price You Pay, Be True, The River, Wreck On The Highway.

Roulette stand-alone single with Ramrod as B-side. (Thought also about leaving Ramrod where it is, before The Price You Pay, but then my single album would just be Side 1 and Side 4 of the album except Be True and The River replacing Drive All Night. Thought also about Point Blank as opening song of Side 2).

Finally, Hungry Heart is not on this single album, so could be (again) given away to The Ramones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

Side 1: The Ties That Bind, Sherry Darling, Jackson Cage, Two Hearts, Independence Day.

Side 2: Take ' Em As They Come, The Price You Pay, Be True, The River, Wreck On The Highway.

We only differ on 2 songs, and both of the songs you've chosen I had in consideration for including, so...Great tracklist! : )

• 1 month later...

Fun idea! If I were to transform The River into a triple album I wouldn't remove any of the songs on the original double album and neither replace them with other versions (although I must say that the alternative version of Stolen Car is more of a favourite than the album version) since I think that the songs Bruce chose do have a place on the album. Yes, even weak choices as Crush on You and I Wanna Marry You. Anyway, this is what my triple album version of the River would look like:

Side 1: Where the Bands Are, Be True, Restless Nights, Roulette, Loose Ends

Side 2: Living on the Edge of the World, I'm a Rocker, Out in the Street, I Wanna Marry You, The River

Side 3: Hungry Heart, Two Hearts, Fade Away, I Wanna Be with You, Ramrod

Side 4: Cadillac Ranch, Crush on You, The Price You Pay, Drive All Night, Stolen Car

Side 5: You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch), Held Up Without a Gun, Wreck on the Highway, Point Blank, Jackson Cage

Side 6: The Ties That Bind, From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come), Sherry Darling, Cindy, Independence Day

• Like 1

2 hours ago, High Lonesome said:

Fun idea! If I were to transform The River into a triple album I wouldn't remove any of the songs on the original double album and neither replace them with other versions (although I must say that the alternative version of Stolen Car is more of a favourite than the album version) since I think that the songs Bruce chose do have a place on the album. Yes, even weak choices as Crush on You and I Wanna Marry You. Anyway, this is what my triple album version of the River would look like:

Side 1: Where the Bands Are, Be True, Restless Nights, Roulette, Loose Ends

Side 2: Living on the Edge of the World, I'm a Rocker, Out in the Street, I Wanna Marry You, The River

Side 3: Hungry Heart, Two Hearts, Fade Away, I Wanna Be with You, Ramrod

Side 4: Cadillac Ranch, Crush on You, The Price You Pay, Drive All Night, Stolen Car

Side 5: You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch), Held Up Without a Gun, Wreck on the Highway, Point Blank, Jackson Cage

Side 6: The Ties That Bind, From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come), Sherry Darling, Cindy, Independence Day

ive never been able to do that 

put lines through text 

30 minutes ago, High Lonesome said:

Looks kinda annoying though, but it's too late to edit the post now. Anyway, good idea for a thread :)

welcome to greasy lake High Lonesome

its nice to have you onboard

downloadfile-187.thumb.jpg.5d86cccd46c6addbe287603cafe39f63.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

I thought you were self-critiquing.

Hehe, kinda looks like it, but that wasn't the case. On the other hand I could go on forever making potential track listings without being entirely satisfied. I do like the original River album with its tracklisting, but my triple album would include more of his punky and raw songs, as well as spread out the darker and slower tunes. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 12:54 AM, stillilllife said:

Crush on you is so anticlimactic. Everything is great about it...Except for the chorus. The chorus isn't bad, but it's not close to being as good as the verse.

Everyone hates Crush on You... I love it, even if it is a rip-off of The Clash.

• Like 1