Greasy Lake Community

Outlaw Pete

Outlaw Pete is a song unlike any other song in his catalogue, a very untypical Bruce Springsteen song, a sort of musical re-invention.

Like a review of WOAD said at the time, to come up at that stage in your career with a song which sounds unlike anything you have ever done before-nice.

(See also: Rocky Ground; except that Rocky Ground is a much better song than Outlaw Pete).(but I like Outlaw Pete).

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

7 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

I like the song. My only gripe is that it doesn't quite work as the album opener, I feel a different placement (or different album?) would have suited the song better. WOAD is a pretty serious album overall about aging, and I'm not sure why an 8 minute joke song is the opening track (I do really like the song though, especially live)

You raise a good point

Maybe 2nd in or last

What would you have had as an opener on WOAD ?

WOAD ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

What would you have had as an opener on WOAD ?

Not sure. To be honest, a lot of WOAD doesn't do much for me. What Love Can Do, This Life, and Tomorrow Never Knows just never clicked. WOAD would probably be my preferred opener, followed by My Lucky Day in slot 2.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do like the anthemic sounding chorus - musically, not the lyrics as much in this case - Bruce wrote much better ones before and after this one. The guitarwork by Steve is great in that section of the song live.

The verse melody is rather lame - something bothered me about it for years and then it dawned on me that the vocal melody mostly  copies the melody of KIss I was made for loving you (the chorus part) although in a much slower tempo. Probably the only time I prefer a Kiss song to Bruce ( and I am not even a Kiss fan).. I ought a greatest hits about 20 years ago when I was in my teens and I hardly ever listen to it.

On 7/16/2020 at 12:16 AM, Lampi said:

Outlaw Pete is a song unlike any other song in his catalogue, a very untypical Bruce Springsteen song, a sort of musical re-invention.

Like a review of WOAD said at the time, to come up at that stage in your career with a song which sounds unlike anything you have ever done before-nice.

(See also: Rocky Ground; except that Rocky Ground is a much better song than Outlaw Pete).(but I like Outlaw Pete).

Rocky Ground is a personal latter day favorite of mine. Almost makes me wish he'd do a gospel album.

• Like 5

Personally, I always liked Outlaw Pete a lot. I suppose this taste is influenced by my predilection for western imagery, if it were not so, perhaps I could not bear it. I think for the live show it is a fantastic song, as someone has already mentioned, in Hyde Park 2009 you see how it electrifies the audience. It won't happen, but I would love to see it live sometime in the future.

• Like 2

Did Bruce Springsteen copy a KISS song?

4128a19a9404e1742d233ad042a16ba3-650-80.jpg.0163b8701333c9f2b307b11e3efd580f.jpg

Gene Simmons: Kiss have sued lots of people [for plagiarism] and won. But some people we don’t sue. We didn’t sue Bruce Springsteen for Outlaw Pete [which takes the main melody for Kiss’s 1979 disco hit I Was Made For Loving You Baby]. How do we decide who to sue and who not to? We like Springsteen. We don’t sue.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/gene_simmons_why_i_never_sued_bruce_springsteen_for_plagiarism_even_though_he_deserved_it.html

• Like 4

Visually seeing this song on the London 2009 DVD I like it very much, but for me it needs the visuals as audio only doesn't do it for me.  

1 hour ago, Bosstralian said:

To this day, I struggle to hear the similarity between OP and the mentioned KISS song.

Certainly not as clearly as I hear the riff to obscure 80's song 8675309 by Tommy Tutone in the opening of Radio Nowhere

Its a stretch at best to my ears

But nice of KISS to like Bruce 

• 3 months later...

Outlaw Pete is described as “a little rock opera,” the first since Jungleland, and is partly about how the past always influences the future.  “The past is never the past,” he contends, because you carry your past, and your sins, with you always – not, of course, a new concept in his work. Springsteen explained to the Observer Music Monthly January 2009 about this fable concerning a character who can't escape his past: "The past is never the past. It is always present. And you better reckon with it in your life and in your daily experience, or it will get you. It will get you really bad. It will come and it will devour you, it will remove you from the present. It will steal your future and this happens every day. We've lived through a nightmare like that in the past eight years here. We had a historically blind administration who didn't take consideration of the past; thousands and thousands of people died, lives were ruined and terrible, terrible things occurred because, there was no sense of history, no sense that the past is living and real.

So the song is about this happening to this character. He moves ahead. He tries to make the right moves. He awakes from a vision of his death, and realizes: life is finite. Time is with me always. And I'm frightened. And he rides west where he settles down. But the past comes back in the form of this bounty hunter, whose mind is also quickened and burdened by the need to get his man. And these possessed creatures meet along the shores of this river where the bounty hunter of course is killed, and his last words are: 'We can't undo the things we've done.'

In other words, your past is your past. You carry it with you always. These are your sins. You carry them with you always. You better learn how to live with them, learn the story that they're telling you. Because they're whispering your future in your ear, and if you don't listen, it will be contaminated by the toxicity of your past."

• Like 1