Greasy Lake Community

Remembering the summer of 2003

21 hours ago, WestsideJack said:

This was not only my Bruce summer it was my Bruce year starting with the great Atlantic City show at the Boardwalk Hall in March. I saw a lot of his shows in Europe, the German shows, the London stand, Vienna and Milan. And of course the final two shows at Giant Stadium ! What a fantastic experience ! Finally the grand final at Shea with all three shows.(Number 2 is my favorite) I really have great memories which will last as long as I live.

Awesome!! 

I too was at the final 2 at Giants Stadium and all 3 at Shea... Phenomenal memories indeed!!! 

• Like 2

GS 4

2003-07-21 - GIANTS STADIUM, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

Soundcheck: STREETS OF FIRE

THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / JACKSON CAGE / NIGHT / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / TRAPPED / EMPTY SKY / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / FOR YOU / THE PROMISED LAND / WORLDS APART / BADLANDS / OUT IN THE STREET / MARY'S PLACE / CADILLAC RANCH / INTO THE FIRE / NO SURRENDER / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT (with Vini Lopez) / WHERE THE BANDS ARE / BOBBY JEAN / RAMROD / BORN TO RUN / MY CITY OF RUINS / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / HUNGRY HEART / DANCING IN THE DARK

Intro music is "Summer Wind" again tonight. Vini Lopez guests on drums for "Spirit In The Night". "For You" is full band, and the set also includes "Cadillac Ranch". "Out In The Street" includes a snippet of "(Walking) In The Rain". "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time" and "Baby, I've Been Missing You".

59189121_2003-07-21stub.jpg.7acc308204fa9d68c8e7ae4693e734b5.jpg

• Like 1

GS 5 - halfway point

2003-07-24 - GIANTS STADIUM, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

THE PROMISED LAND / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / STREETS OF FIRE / MY LOVE WILL NOT LET YOU DOWN / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / EMPTY SKY / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / WORKING ON THE HIGHWAY / WORLDS APART / BADLANDS / SHE'S THE ONE / MARY'S PLACE / MEETING ACROSS THE RIVER / JUNGLELAND / INTO THE FIRE / NO SURRENDER / 4TH OF JULY, ASBURY PARK (SANDY) / RAMROD / BORN TO RUN / MY CITY OF RUINS / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / DANCING IN THE DARK

Includes a rare "Streets Of Fire". "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time", "You Sexy Thing", and "Baby, I've Been Missing You". Final tour performance for "4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)".

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 6:37 PM, AMIW said:

Are Judy and I the only ones left standing/posting damn I am in elite company

took the year off to follow the band... boy 2003 was a great year

I signed the banner and was at 2 shows. The 17th and 30th.  I remember youngster David, who I think is in that photo!  

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 7:49 PM, WestsideJack said:

This was not only my Bruce summer it was my Bruce year starting with the great Atlantic City show at the Boardwalk Hall in March. I saw a lot of his shows in Europe, the German shows, the London stand, Vienna and Milan. And of course the final two shows at Giant Stadium ! What a fantastic experience ! Finally the grand final at Shea with all three shows.(Number 2 is my favorite) I really have great memories which will last as long as I live.

Boardwalk Hall was so fun!  The Beatles Tell Me Why Opener was great.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 8:42 PM, WestsideJack said:

Yeah ! What a great experience ! Absolutely hilarious ! Starting with Atlantic City and ending with Roll Of The Dice and in between Jersey Girl and Tell Me Why !

Ah thanks.  My memory is shot!  I do remember his story about his Mom taking he and his sister to see Chubby Checker.

GS 6

2003-07-26 - GIANTS STADIUM, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

Soundcheck: KITTY'S BACK / MURDER INCORPORATED

ADAM RAISED A CAIN / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / THE TIES THAT BIND / ATLANTIC CITY / EMPTY SKY / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / DARLINGTON COUNTY / WORLDS APART / BADLANDS / TWO HEARTS / NO SURRENDER / MARY'S PLACE / MY HOMETOWN / INTO THE FIRE / THE PROMISED LAND / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / GLORY DAYS / BORN TO RUN / MY CITY OF RUINS / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / DANCING IN THE DARK

Tonight's intro music is Sam Cooke's "Another Saturday Night". A short 23 song set opens with tour premiere "Adam Raised A Cain". "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time", "Shout", "Another Saturday Night", and "Baby, I've Been Missing You". "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" features the "Come A Little Bit Closer" introduction.

Ev2’s IEM/AUD (JB recording) matrix of 8/31 is very good. Matrix from 8/30 has a few more dropouts, while 7/24 isn’t a bad two(?)-source mix at all.

I can’t recall any tapes that are challenging listens, but admittedly the final two shows have been my go-tos for a while . 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nick21 said:

Ev2’s IEM/AUD (JB recording) matrix of 8/31 is very good. Matrix from 8/30 has a few more dropouts, while 7/24 isn’t a bad two(?)-source mix at all.

I can’t recall any tapes that are challenging listens, but admittedly the final two shows have been my go-tos for a while . 

IIRC The Last Dance at Shea is quite listenable also.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

So (oddly) tempted to respond to all of those posts with, "Hook me up fam". Why? I do not know.  

I expect the Bootleg Collectors thread can manage that ;) 

• Haha 1

GS 7 - now a month until the final 3

2003-07-27 - GIANTS STADIUM, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

Soundcheck: THE RISING (part) / DOWNBOUND TRAIN / I'M GOIN' DOWN / COVER ME / BETTER DAYS / LUCKY TOWN

DOWNBOUND TRAIN / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / CANDY'S ROOM / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / EMPTY SKY / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY / WORLDS APART / BADLANDS / OUT IN THE STREET / MARY'S PLACE / MEETING ACROSS THE RIVER / BACKSTREETS / NO SURRENDER / KITTY'S BACK / BOBBY JEAN / BORN TO RUN / MY CITY OF RUINS / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / DANCING IN THE DARK / SEVEN NIGHTS TO ROCK

Another 23-song set, but the final tour "Downbound Train", a rare "It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City" and the final tour "Meeting Across The River", which leads into "Backstreets" for the only known time, are included. "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time", "Mercy, Mercy", "You Sexy Thing", and "Baby, I've Been Missing You". "Into The Fire" is dropped for the first time on the tour.

22 hours ago, JimCT said:

GS 6

2003-07-26 - GIANTS STADIUM, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

Soundcheck: KITTY'S BACK / MURDER INCORPORATED

ADAM RAISED A CAIN / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / THE TIES THAT BIND / ATLANTIC CITY / EMPTY SKY / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / DARLINGTON COUNTY / WORLDS APART / BADLANDS / TWO HEARTS / NO SURRENDER / MARY'S PLACE / MY HOMETOWN / INTO THE FIRE / THE PROMISED LAND / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / GLORY DAYS / BORN TO RUN / MY CITY OF RUINS / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / DANCING IN THE DARK

Tonight's intro music is Sam Cooke's "Another Saturday Night". A short 23 song set opens with tour premiere "Adam Raised A Cain". "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time", "Shout", "Another Saturday Night", and "Baby, I've Been Missing You". "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" features the "Come A Little Bit Closer" introduction.

I forgot to add my stub from yesterday's show. But looking again at the setlist this memory came rushing back to me. 

This was the only performance of Darlington County during all those 10 shows. I remember the moment Bruce sang the line, "Our pa's each own one of the World Trade Centers," and feeling gut-punched. There we were, just across the river from that hole in the ground that used to be a pile of smoking rubble, and before that two shiny, distinctive spires easily seen from the parking lot. That line was like a proverbial turd-in-the-punchbowl, and that song has never worked for me since.

I expect those of you from outside NYC don't have that association in the same way. But I grew up in Manhattan, and lived thru the planning and construction of those buildings. I had clients and competitors in those buildings, ate at WotW, and even went to the observation deck. Thankfully I did not personally know anyone who died that fateful day. My closest connection, the son of a mentor, had a meeting out of his (93rd Fl.) office that morning. I had been on the West Coast on 9/11, and could not fly back until Friday, only managing to get a connection to Philly where I rented a car and drove up the NJTP. I was stunned by the absence of the buildings and the smoke and the lights of the "construction site" when I drove by.

2003-07-26 stub.png

• Sad 2

22 hours ago, JimCT said:

This was the only performance of Darlington County during all those 10 shows. I remember the moment Bruce sang the line, "Our pa's each own one of the World Trade Centers," and feeling gut-punched. There we were, just across the river from that hole in the ground that used to be a pile of smoking rubble, and before that two shiny, distinctive spires easily seen from the parking lot. That line was like a proverbial turd-in-the-punchbowl, and that song has never worked for me since.

The Giants Stadium parking lot was also used by commuters who travelled into the city, too - I remember seeing footage of several cars that were still there a few days after 9/11, their owners never to return.

@JimCT, aside from the impact Darlington had on you, what did you make of the “Saturday night special” of 7/26? I’ve never met anybody who was there who enjoyed that one too much...

1 hour ago, Nick21 said:

The Giants Stadium parking lot was also used by commuters who travelled into the city, too - I remember seeing footage of several cars that were still there a few days after 9/11, their owners never to return.

@JimCT, aside from the impact Darlington had on you, what did you make of the “Saturday night special” of 7/26? I’ve never met anybody who was there who enjoyed that one too much...

I guess the fact that a day after posting originally my dominant memory is only of the Darlington effect answers your question.

• 2 weeks later...

Although not part of the GS shows, the 3 Philly shows deserve a mention. While I wasn't there, I expect a fair number of others here were. What a summer!

2003-08-08 - LINCOLN FINANCIAL FIELD, PHILADELPHIA, PA

Soundcheck: LOST IN THE FLOOD / INDEPENDENCE DAY

THE PROMISED LAND / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / MY LOVE WILL NOT LET YOU DOWN / SOMETHING IN THE NIGHT / EMPTY SKY / YOU'RE MISSING / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / SHERRY DARLING / WORLDS APART / BADLANDS / OUT IN THE STREET / MARY'S PLACE / LOST IN THE FLOOD / INTO THE FIRE / NO SURRENDER / NIGHT / BOBBY JEAN / RAMROD / BORN TO RUN / SEVEN NIGHTS TO ROCK / MY CITY OF RUINS / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / DANCING IN THE DARK

"Out In The Street" includes a snippet of "South Street". "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time", "Dancing In The Street", "You Sexy Thing", and "Baby, I've Been Missing You". "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" includes the "Come A Little Bit Closer" intro. First full band "Lost In The Flood" since July 1, 2000, which features a fiddle intro by Soozie instead of the traditional piano intro. Final tour performance for "Sherry Darling".

• Like 1

night 2 at the Linc

2003-08-09 - LINCOLN FINANCIAL FIELD, PHILADELPHIA, PA

ADAM RAISED A CAIN / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / THE TIES THAT BIND / TRAPPED / FOR YOU / EMPTY SKY / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / WORLDS APART / BADLANDS / SHE'S THE ONE / MARY'S PLACE / TOUGHER THAN THE REST / INTO THE FIRE / THUNDER ROAD / WHERE THE BANDS ARE / I'M A ROCKER / HUNGRY HEART / GLORY DAYS / BORN TO RUN / MY CITY OF RUINS / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / DANCING IN THE DARK (with Jon Landau)

"For You" is the full band version, and the set also includes a rare "Adam Raised A Cain" in the opening slot, plus other rarities "Trapped" and the tour's final "Tougher Than The Rest". "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time", "South Street", and "Baby, I've Been Missing You". "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" includes a snippet of "Another Saturday Night" in the intro. Jon Landau plays guitar on "Dancing In The Dark".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JimCT said:

night 2 at the Linc

2003-08-09 - LINCOLN FINANCIAL FIELD, PHILADELPHIA, PA

ADAM RAISED A CAIN / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / THE TIES THAT BIND / TRAPPED / FOR YOU / EMPTY SKY / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / WORLDS APART / BADLANDS / SHE'S THE ONE / MARY'S PLACE / TOUGHER THAN THE REST / INTO THE FIRE / THUNDER ROAD / WHERE THE BANDS ARE / I'M A ROCKER / HUNGRY HEART / GLORY DAYS / BORN TO RUN / MY CITY OF RUINS / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / DANCING IN THE DARK (with Jon Landau)

"For You" is the full band version, and the set also includes a rare "Adam Raised A Cain" in the opening slot, plus other rarities "Trapped" and the tour's final "Tougher Than The Rest". "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time", "South Street", and "Baby, I've Been Missing You". "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" includes a snippet of "Another Saturday Night" in the intro. Jon Landau plays guitar on "Dancing In The Dark".

Adam Raised A Cain, Trapped, For You & Tougher Than The Rest ... :wub:

night 3 at the Linc

2003-08-11 - LINCOLN FINANCIAL FIELD, PHILADELPHIA, PA

Soundcheck: STREETS OF PHILADELPHIA (x2) / FROM SMALL THINGS (BIG THINGS ONE DAY COME) (x3)

FROM SMALL THINGS (BIG THINGS ONE DAY COME) / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / NIGHT / BE TRUE / ATLANTIC CITY / EMPTY SKY / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / DARLINGTON COUNTY / IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY / WORLDS APART / BADLANDS / OUT IN THE STREET / MARY'S PLACE / STREETS OF PHILADELPHIA / INTO THE FIRE / THUNDER ROAD / INCIDENT ON 57TH STREET / I'M GOIN' DOWN / RAMROD / BORN TO RUN / MY CITY OF RUINS / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / PRETTY FLAMINGO / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / DANCING IN THE DARK / I'M A ROCKER

A rare "From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)" kicks off a great set. "Pretty Flamingo" is played for the first time since 1978, without any story about long legged girls walking past on the street. Also included - "Be True", "It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City", a full band "Incident On 57th Street" and "I'm Goin' Down", the latter by request. "Out In The Street" includes "South Street". "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time" and "Baby, I've Been Missing You". "Streets Of Philadelphia" is the full band version. Final tour performances for "From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)", "Atlantic City", and "It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City", and "Streets Of Philadelphia".

• Like 2