Greasy Lake Community

Remembering the summer of 2003

the last two nights were stunning - GS 9

2003-08-30 - GIANTS STADIUM, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

Soundcheck: THE RISING / LUCKY TOWN / ROLL OF THE DICE / JANEY, DON'T YOU LOSE HEART / RAISE YOUR HAND (with Dave and Serge Bielanko)

JANEY, DON'T YOU LOSE HEART / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / CANDY'S ROOM / TRAPPED / EMPTY SKY / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / ROLL OF THE DICE / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / BADLANDS / OUT IN THE STREET / MARY'S PLACE / ACROSS THE BORDER (with Emmylou Harris) / INTO THE FIRE / THUNDER ROAD / THIS HARD LAND / RAISE YOUR HAND (with Dave and Serge Bielanko) / GLORY DAYS / BORN TO RUN / SEVEN NIGHTS TO ROCK / MY CITY OF RUINS / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / PRETTY FLAMINGO / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / DANCING IN THE DARK

Rarity "Janey, Don't You Lose Heart" opens the set and "Roll Of The Dice" and "Candy's Room" also included. Only tour performance of "Raise Your Hand", performed with guests Dave and Serge Bielanko of Marah. Tour premiere "Across the Border" is performed with guest Emmylou Harris. "This Hard Land" is dedicated to Bobby Muller, who is in the audience on the night, and "Thunder Road" is dedicated to the memory of Jim Berger. "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time" and "Another Saturday Night". Final tour performances for "Roll Of The Dice", "This Hard Land", and "Pretty Flamingo".

• Love Love Love! 1

4 hours ago, JimCT said:

Soundcheck: THE RISING / LUCKY TOWN / ROLL OF THE DICE / JANEY, DON'T YOU LOSE HEART / RAISE YOUR HAND (with Dave and Serge Bielanko)

JANEY, DON'T YOU LOSE HEART / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / CANDY'S ROOM / TRAPPED / EMPTY SKY / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / ROLL OF THE DICE / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / BADLANDS / OUT IN THE STREET / MARY'S PLACE / ACROSS THE BORDER (with Emmylou Harris) / INTO THE FIRE / THUNDER ROAD / THIS HARD LAND / RAISE YOUR HAND (with Dave and Serge Bielanko) / GLORY DAYS / BORN TO RUN / SEVEN NIGHTS TO ROCK / MY CITY OF RUINS / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / PRETTY FLAMINGO / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / DANCING IN THE DARK

Rarity "Janey, Don't You Lose Heart" opens the set and "Roll Of The Dice" and "Candy's Room" also included. Only tour performance of "Raise Your Hand", performed with guests Dave and Serge Bielanko of Marah. Tour premiere "Across the Border" is performed with guest Emmylou Harris. "This Hard Land" is dedicated to Bobby Muller, who is in the audience on the night, and "Thunder Road" is dedicated to the memory of Jim Berger. "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time" and "Another Saturday Night". Final tour performances for "Roll Of The Dice", "This Hard Land", and "Pretty Flamingo".

Across the border wasn't a tour premiere that evening. It debuted in San Francisco a few weeks prior.

7 hours ago, JimCT said:

Was at this amazing show... and also (as I mentioned on the ‘what song are you listening to’ thread) the 8/30/2016 show!  

Maybe there will be one at MetLife on 8/30/2021!!!!   

• Bruuuuce! 1

GS 10, the climax 

Bruce shows are great, Bruce shows in Jersey are special, and this one was just amazing. From the debut of Cynthia, to the LITF, to the wonderful Kitty, and ending with the Jersey Girl encore that left the crowd in tears, this show was special. I think if I had gotten the sound-checked full band Frankie I might have just melted in place.

Who else remembers getting the first great bootleg of this show, the one with the guy close to the taper shouting out "Cynthia!" at the opening notes? Pure joy!!

Especially given the video available in addition to quality audio, I'd certainly vote for the archives to take GS 9 & 10 and make one stunning release. 

2003-08-31 - GIANTS STADIUM, EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

Soundcheck: CYNTHIA / FRANKIE

CYNTHIA / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / NIGHT / LUCKY TOWN / EMPTY SKY / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / BADLANDS / TWO HEARTS / NO SURRENDER / MARY'S PLACE / LOST IN THE FLOOD / INTO THE FIRE / THE PROMISED LAND / KITTY'S BACK / GLORY DAYS / BORN TO RUN / MY CITY OF RUINS / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / DANCING IN THE DARK (with Jon Landau) / JERSEY GIRL

Final night of ten at Giants Stadium. Live premiere and only tour performance of "Cynthia", plus the tour debut and only tour performance of "Lucky Town" and the tour's only full-band "Jersey Girl" in its final tour appearance. "Spirit In The Night" is played by request. "Badlands" features an extra long ending with the audience chanting. "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time", "I Don't Want To Go Home", and "Baby, I've Been Missing You". Final tour performance for "Lost In The Flood". Jon Landau plays guitar on "Dancing In The Dark".

2003-08-31 GS 10.png

again, thanks to @foreveryoung for sharing these last two shows - go get 'em!

from the infofile

The IEM source has a few very short (about a second) skips but it's mostly very unnoticeable.

- Only tour performances of 'Cynthia', 'Lucky Town' and full band 'Jersey Girl'.
- Badlands features an extra long ending with the audience chanting.
- Spirit In The Night played by a request.
- Mary's Place includes couple verses of 'I Don't Wanna Go Home'

-- Thanks to tattoodad and the uber project for 'discovering' the IEM source!
-- Thanks to Neil for the audience sources.

======

"Night 10 at Giants Stadium closed out the stand in style, with a fantastic mix of the old and the new, greatest hits and greatest misses,  all for an ecstatic Labor Day weekend crowd. Mix together the last two nights of a lengthy stand with the attendance of a working film crew  and what you get are the kinds of setlists that Springsteen fans have been longing for since this Tour began. 

If you knew tonight's opener from the first few notes, well, step to the front of the line of The Legion of Bruce.  The sounds of Cynthia hit the New Jersey air just after 8:30pm to make her live performance debut, and it made this show a real "yeah, yeah, alright!!" for diehards. Other standouts: Lucky Town, ìSpirit in the Night, Lost in the Flood, and for the second night in a row. Because the Night  sizzled like a fried egg on a hot Texas street. Um, and that was before the encores. Kitty's Back kicked those off, only to be topped by the will-he-or-won't-he (he will!) appearance of Tom Waits' Jersey Girl to close things out. Springsteen thanked those of his fans who come to the shows night after night, with a special nod to those long distance travelers. " -backstreets.com

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

• 1 month later...

After wandering elsewhere, Bruce and the band return to Shea Stadium to close the tour. Yes, I understand that it is technically fall by now, but I think anyone who experiences it would agree that these shows marked the end of what we had experienced thru the summer, and are rightfully a part of that timeline.

ETA: The one major difference was that while the proper summer were fun and relaxed these final 3 shows definitely had a more overt political commentary embedded, given the ~6 months that the 2d Iraq war had been going on.

2003-10-01 - SHEA STADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY

Soundcheck: ANOTHER THIN LINE / ROULETTE / MAN'S JOB / RENDEZVOUS / JOHNNY 99 / NEW YORK CITY SERENADE / IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND

SOULS OF THE DEPARTED / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / NIGHT / TUNNEL OF LOVE / BRILLIANT DISGUISE / EMPTY SKY / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / JOHNNY 99 / MAN'S JOB / THE FUSE / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / BADLANDS / NO SURRENDER / MARY'S PLACE / AMERICAN SKIN (41 SHOTS) / INTO THE FIRE / WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN / KITTY'S BACK / BORN TO RUN / SEVEN NIGHTS TO ROCK / MY CITY OF RUINS / BORN IN THE U.S.A. / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / DANCING IN THE DARK

First night of three at Shea Stadium to close out The Rising Tour. A great "Souls Of The Departed" kicks off the set, creating along with "American Skin (41 Shots)" and a full-band "Born In The U.S.A." a pretty political show. "Johnny 99" makes its tour debut in a full-band take and "Man's Job" has its E Street premiere (and only tour performance). A great Tunnel Of Love double-shot with "Tunnel Of Love" and "Brilliant Disguise" in the first set. "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time" and "Baby, I've Been Missing You". "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" includes a snippet of "Stagger Lee" in the intro. Final tour performances for "The Fuse", "No Surrender", "American Skin (41 Shots)", "Who'll Stop The Rain", and "Kitty's Back".

725505003_2003-10-01Shea1.png.4249930657921695afcac2da23d9fb07.png

• Like 1

Shea night 2 - look at that 1-2 to open :o 

2003-10-03 - SHEA STADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY

ROULETTE / CANDY'S ROOM / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / THE TIES THAT BIND / BRILLIANT DISGUISE / EMPTY SKY / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / RENDEZVOUS / ANOTHER THIN LINE / SOULS OF THE DEPARTED / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / BADLANDS / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / MARY'S PLACE / NEW YORK CITY SERENADE / INTO THE FIRE / JANEY, DON'T YOU LOSE HEART / PINK CADILLAC / BORN TO RUN / SEVEN NIGHTS TO ROCK / MY CITY OF RUINS / BORN IN THE U.S.A. / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) (with Al Leiter) / DANCING IN THE DARK (with Willie Nile and Jon Landau) / TWIST AND SHOUT (with Gary U.S. Bonds, Laurie Tobias, Willie Nile, and Jon Landau)

Fantastic opening with (tour premiere) "Roulette" into "Candy's Room". Other premieres: "Another Thin Line" and tour one-offs "New York City Serenade" and "Rendezvous". "Janey, Don't You Lose Heart" and "Pink Cadillac" also in the set. "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time", plus an onstage appearance during the introductions by Al Franken. "Into The Fire" included a dedication to local firefighter killed a few days earlier fighting a fire who was to be at the show for his 41st birthday. The tour's final "Born In The U.S.A." is full band; "Candy's Room", "The Ties That Bind", "Brilliant Disguise", "Souls Of The Departed", "Janey, Don't You Lose Heart", and "Pink Cadillac" also makes their final tour appearances. "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" includes a snippet of "Stagger Lee" in the intro and features Mets pitcher Al Leiter on tambourine. Willie Nile and Jon Landau guest on "Dancing In The Dark", while Gary U.S. Bonds and his daughter Laurie Tobias join them and the band on "Twist And Shout".

2003-10-03 Shea 2.png

I was at the three Shea shows.  All the talk before night 1 was about which Beatles song would open the stand.  Twist & Shout and I Wanna Hold Your Hand were the favourites. A searing Souls Of The Departed shut down all further Beatles talk.

Night 2 was referred to as 'that 70s show' given the number of early songs.   played - although a number of the rarities, like Janey and Pink Cadillac, were from the 80s.  Great show. 

Shea #3 - The Last Dance

The end of the Rising tour, the one that helped us heal after 9/11. It would be 4 years (less a couple of days) until Bruce would count the band off again in Hartford for the Magic tour. Look at the tour debuts bolded below. And yes, during Blood Brothers grown men wept, on stage and off.

2003-10-04 - SHEA STADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY

Soundcheck: I WISH I WERE BLIND (x3) / BLOOD BROTHERS (x2) / CODE OF SILENCE / BACK IN YOUR ARMS / JOHNNY 99

CODE OF SILENCE / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / ROULETTE / NIGHT / I WISH I WERE BLIND / EMPTY SKY / YOU'RE MISSING / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / JOHNNY 99 / ANOTHER THIN LINE / TUNNEL OF LOVE / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / BADLANDS / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / MARY'S PLACE / BACK IN YOUR ARMS / INTO THE FIRE / LIGHT OF DAY / BOBBY JEAN / BORN TO RUN / SEVEN NIGHTS TO ROCK / HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED (with Bob Dylan) / MY CITY OF RUINS / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / DANCING IN THE DARK (with Willie Nile and Jon Landau) / QUARTER TO THREE (with Gary U.S. Bonds, Laurie Anderson, Laurie Tobias, Garland Jeffreys, Willie Nile, and Jon Landau) / TWIST AND SHOUT (with Gary U.S. Bonds, Garland Jeffreys, Willie Nile, Jon Landau, Brendan O'Brien, and Don Ienner) / BLOOD BROTHERS

Final show of The Rising Tour. "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" includes a snippet of "Stagger Lee" in the intro. Tour and E Street premiere with "I Wish I Were Blind". Also in the set: "Back In Your Arms" and "Quarter To Three" with Gary U.S. Bonds, as well as his wife Laurie Anderson and daughter Laurie Tobias, Garland Jeffreys, Willie Nile, and Jon Landau. Bob Dylan guests for "Highway 61 Revisited"; while Nile and Landau guest on "Dancing In The Dark". Bonds, Jeffreys, Nile, Landau, Brendan O'Brien, and Don Ienner all play on "Twist And Shout" (which includes "La Bamba"). Thirty song set is the longest of the tour. "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time" and "Baby, I've Been Missing You". "Blood Brothers" closes the tour, just as it did in 2000. With their performances at this show, eight songs were played at every show on the Rising Tour: "The Rising", "Lonesome Day", "Empty Sky", "Waitin' On A Sunny Day", "Badlands", "Mary's Place", "Born To Run", and "My City Of Ruins" (though "Badlands" and "My City Of Ruins" were skipped at the first two and the third full rehearsal shows, respectively).

Saw the Manchester Old Trafford Cricket ground show on May 29th....which almost didn't happen.

Roasting hot day. Bruce came on earlier than expected. Great show. Saw Jungleland played live for the first time.

Flew over to Dublin the next day. Queued for hours outside the RDS on the Saturday to get near the stage. Ended up about 10 feet from the stage and saw one of the greatest and longest Bruce shows of my lifetime. To be so near to Clarence whilst he was blasting out that solo in Jungleland was just incredible.

Great memories of a great few days. Wish I could go back there right now.

• Bruuuuce! 1