Greasy Lake Community

Nils Lofgren at Live Aid?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bruce's contribution to Live Aid was the stage set at Wembley. He had just finished his concerts there and left all the stage, lighting and speakers to be used for free, as far as I remember.  In

Def not Hungry Heart.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Silvia said:

Which 4 songs would Bruce have played? 

This needs its own thread !

Looking back I would have loved to have been introduced to something from the back catalogue

Johnny 99

Glory days

Prove it all night (without the solo)

BITUSA

I also think spending time with Julianne was not the wrong thing to do

10 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

image.thumb.png.ad4990bf18d3c571b4a20bd9a576f1f7.png

image.png.937f1575cae31529287309dfe32240fb.png

I think these prove it.

Sorry it would appear im 10 hours behind everyone else and i missed this post

Sorry Keith

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Erm, ok?

If you want it stated by Americans too here's a WatchMojo countdown...

Frankly, I don't care much for that kind of countdowns etc. In my opinion Queen couldn't hold a candle to Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band as live performers 1985. I base my opinion of my own experience being there in the stadiums when they played not on any media polls. Feel free to have an other opinion based on anything you want.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I love when I get a chance to post these. :wub:

The Cars will be ever associated with the harrowing video at the end of Live Aid, everytime  I hear it i see the pictures, horrible and here we are 35yrs later and is the World any better? I think not

incidentally BBC  has an old doc on Live Aid interesting if you aint seen it https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b00t4d5q/live-aid

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, stevie54uk said:

The Cars will be ever associated with the harrowing video at the end of Live Aid, everytime  I hear it i see the pictures, horrible and here we are 35yrs later and is the World any better? I think not

incidentally BBC  has an old doc on Live Aid interesting if you aint seen it https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b00t4d5q/live-aid

Noisy sigh

Screenshot_20200718-212247.png

• Sad 1
35 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

on you tube part 1 (in 6 parts)

and part 2

Guess i better watcg it now you found it for me 

• Haha 1

Two interesting facts emerge about Queen's legendary (and rightly so) performance at Live Aid from the Days Of Our Lives documentary:-

• That according to Paul Gambaccini Freddie performed that day against doctor's orders because of a throat infection. Makes his performance all the more remarkable, and
  • That all the other acts had sound limiters working to reduce the volume when they played but that Queen's sound engineer removed them when Queen took the stage so that they were louder than everyone else on the bill
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

on you tube part 1 (in 6 parts)

and part 2

Im really enjoying it.

And in the spirit of live aid its 2am !

• Like 1

I did thoroughly enjoy that last night

Possibly more so than the actual event back in the day as i was too young and had no older siblings to school me up on how great some of those participants were

No mention of Bruce lending his stage

Seemed very much apart from U2 :unsure: it was leery much the old dogs rather than the young pups who put on the best show

I hardly remembered anything, i even forgot Princess Diana was there

Everyone looked so young, even Mother Teresa :lol:

It was a real shame Bruce wasn't there, he could have played quarter to 3 and given Freddie a run for his money :lol:

Screenshot_20200719-001813.png

Not suggesting it as a reason why Bruce didn't play but wasn't there a hesitancy by some artists to play Live Aid as at the time it was quite a novel idea & there were doubts what the reaction might be?

I happened to watch the Queen performance a few weeks ago on the basis that it seems to have been so hyped up over the years,just felt flat to me.

The 2 things that seem to stand in my memory are Bowie doing Heroes & the U2 performance (though didn't The Edge say he wanted to kill Bono at the time for totally screwing things up by going to the audience & denying them the time to play Pride).

I seem to recall recording it on video at the time & having to run back up the road from work every couple of hours to change the tape.

• Like 1

Bono used live aid as many did to kick start their careers notice where possible as usual  Bono was at the front trying  getting noticed, seems the american side was messed a lot by  Bill Graham, wouldnt surprise if that was the reason Bruce,like many american artists particularly the black artists didnt or refused to appear

• Like 1
1 hour ago, High As Hope said:

Not suggesting it as a reason why Bruce didn't play but wasn't there a hesitancy by some artists to play Live Aid as at the time it was quite a novel idea & there were doubts what the reaction might be?

I happened to watch the Queen performance a few weeks ago on the basis that it seems to have been so hyped up over the years,just felt flat to me.

The 2 things that seem to stand in my memory are Bowie doing Heroes & the U2 performance (though didn't The Edge say he wanted to kill Bono at the time for totally screwing things up by going to the audience & denying them the time to play Pride).

I seem to recall recording it on video at the time & having to run back up the road from work every couple of hours to change the tape.

The first signs of Bono The Knob there. It's so cringey it's difficult to watch.

• Like 2

Not read this whole thread, but Geldof was desperate to get Bruce to agree to perform at Live Aid. No idea why he turned it down but I am sure I read somewhere that was Bruce's stage that was used at Wembley. He was in the middle of the European leg of the Born in the USA tour at the time. Bruce and Prince would have made it a much better spectacle than it was. Didn't realise Nils played at the Wembley show. 

The much hyped Queen performance done nothing for me. OK...i'll admit I have never been a Queen fan but I can just never see what was ever so great about them.

U2...a band I love, also made a bit of an arse of themselves, well Bono did anyway.

McCartney's microphone failing was another cringe moment.

Best acts for me were Bowie in London and The Cars in Philadelphia. 

Just checked the Dave Marsh book Glory Days for -maybe-  information why Bruce did not play Live Aid.

Nope. Assuming the index at the end of the book is right, there is only one mention of Live Aid in Glory Days, page 297, in Chapter 14; about (among other things) the U.S.A. for Africa project (page 298: 'The first stars arrived by limousine, each attended by a small entourage', while Bruce arrived alone, in a rented car he drove himself; parked across the street and walked to the studio).

The last show of the European Tour was Leeds 7 July 1985; first show of the Summer 1985 U.S.A./Canada Tour was Washington D.C. 5 August 1985; Live Aid 13 July 1985. Let's just say Bruce wanted to give band and crew a well-deserved holiday not interrupted by Live Aid, and -as was said before in this topic-wanted a holiday for himself with Julianne too.

On 7/16/2020 at 4:07 PM, A Saint in the city said:

and Bruce later admitted he wished he'd just turned with his guitar and played something.. 

First thought then is: Bruce playing a raw solo version of the song BUSA before the world-wide audience. And Dancing In The Dark and one or two Nebraska songs. (Edit: no obscure songs, no Nebraska songs, better: BUSA/No Surrender/Dancing In The Dark).

On the other hand, this would have made the Mountain View 1986 performance less unique then (maybe).