Greasy Lake Community

Breathless In Paris (DVD)

3 hours ago, Promise61 said:

It's out there under various titles.

It's a great document of that amazing summer. Except for the bandana.

It was just a few days before Wembley. Bruce clearly got his hair cut on arrival in London (or before departing Paris) and didn’t need the bandana for the Wembley shows, thankfully. 

• Like 2

I have never been too interested in the concerts of the BITUSA era (I'm one of those silly people who are not very fond of Dancing in the dark), but I really enjoyed this one.

• Like 3

The story of the Paris 1985 started with the complete "Glory Days" songs from Paris '85 posted on the YouTube channel around 2005 or 2006, probably for showing its potential for interested collection parties. I always thought it was on the greasylake, but some research revealed that is was in fact on the SPL that is the the "Glory Days" was mentioned. One member called "TattooDad" said he was going to contact the presumed YouTube poster to convince him personnaly to give him the tapes. I still can remeber that vividly. Sadly cannot find back that original post. But then a little later we got an announcement: https://www.spl-messages.net/topic/paris-85-dvd-coming-in-the-new-year

Quote: "thank you to the wonderful man who donated this DVD to fans everywhere" Echo that! After the taste on YouTube and the events which unfolded thereafter, it was doubtful if we would ever see this in its entireity. This is truley an example of an "Uber Fan" sharing for the common good of the Springsteen Community at large. Kinda makes me believe in the spirit of Christmas once again.

Complete uber series list they finally got out from uber-collectors in the Light of Day: https://www.spl-messages.net/topic/uber-project-lost-and-found---updated-october-9

Those were the days!

note: my guess is that the DVD (still the real thing), can be downloaded through guitars101.com

7 minutes ago, el sergio said:

note: my guess is that the DVD (still the real thing), can be downloaded through guitars101.com

It's easier to grab it through JL if you can. It's a gold torrent and won't count against your ratio if you have a 1.0< ratio.

Also, the one on Guitars101 is split into 12 different downloads and they are all on filefactory (very slow downloads, plus a limit on downloads per hour)

• Thanks 1

I have this on DVD already under the title of Dancing in the Park.

To be honest I have never been too keen on it. Sound is tinny and just not that great.

Stage looks like it's stuck in the middle of a big field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, el sergio said:

Complete uber series list they finally got out from uber-collectors in the Light of Day: https://www.spl-messages.net/topic/uber-project-lost-and-found---updated-october-9

Those were the days!

TD's Über Series created such an exciting period in the collecting world - loved those holiday soundboards, the Giants 2003 IEMS and that 7/1 matrix, which I played regularly until the NUGS release.

I still wonder how close Übers came to releasing other gems. A good friend and prominent taper (not a hoarder, either!) heard that somebody was going to release a really good video of one of the Berkley Joad shows before getting cold feet.

39 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

My comment refers to the bad title, yes.

I never thought the title was bad or odd - I loved it all back then. Mind you, most of us loved everything back then ... very few complaints.

The sound quality isn’t great. Don’t get me wrong there was a time when I could have listened to audio like this, and far worse, but I’ve gotten more picky as I’ve gotten older. The visuals are excellent, in terms of giving you an idea of what an ‘85 stadium show was like (I still can’t believe these shows started at 4pm, or was that just Wembley?),  and it’s worth watching for that alone, but it needs a nicely mixed sbd to do it justice.

29 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I never thought the title was bad or odd - I loved it all back then. Mind you, most of us loved everything back then ... very few complaints.

The title "Breathless In Paris" is new to me. Sounds like a bad romantic movie. Better something along the line "When The French Were Won" if you have to make something up. My dvd simply states the venue and date.

25 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

The title "Breathless In Paris" is new to me. Sounds like a bad romantic movie. Better something along the line "When The French Were Won" if you have to make something up. My dvd simply states the venue and date.

The title of the bootleg is probably referring to the introduction of My Hometown when Bruce is catching his breath after a truly passionate The Promised Land ending singing on the top of his lungs

741262913_PromisedLandParis1985.thumb.JPG.8deaa96734c0981cc9726e43b9facf2b.JPG

With a very few exceptions during the BIUSA tour, The Promised Land was always coupled in the first set with Glory Days creating a theme about "that big clock ticking away…"

59 minutes ago, el sergio said:

The title of the bootleg is probably referring to the introduction of My Hometown when Bruce is catching his breath after a truly passionate The Promised Land ending singing on the top of his lungs

741262913_PromisedLandParis1985.thumb.JPG.8deaa96734c0981cc9726e43b9facf2b.JPG

With a very few exceptions during the BIUSA tour, The Promised Land was always coupled in the first set with Glory Days creating a theme about "that big clock ticking away…"

I'm sure Bruce was short of breath at some point at the Born in the USA Ullevi concerts as well. Maybe they should have named one of them bootlegs "Gasping In Gothenburg"? :D

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

The visuals are excellent, in terms of giving you an idea of what an ‘85 stadium show was like (I still can’t believe these shows started at 4pm, or was that just Wembley?),  and it’s worth watching for that alone, but it needs a nicely mixed sbd to do it justice.

I think it was only the third and final Wembley show on Saturday the 6th that started at 4pm - the others started shortly after 6pm I think (so as not to exceed curfew). Wasn't the Saturday early start caused by needing an early finish ahead of Leeds the next day? If so times had changed by 2009 when he played Glastonbury till the wee wee hours and then went on to Hyde Park the next day. By which time he was Hoarse in Hyde Park :)

2 hours ago, Old English Town said:

I think it was only the third and final Wembley show on Saturday the 6th that started at 4pm - the others started shortly after 6pm I think (so as not to exceed curfew). Wasn't the Saturday early start caused by needing an early finish ahead of Leeds the next day? If so times had changed by 2009 when he played Glastonbury till the wee wee hours and then went on to Hyde Park the next day. By which time he was Hoarse in Hyde Park :)

The show at Newcastle St James Park on 4th June started bang on at 6.00.

I always remember the tannoy announcer saying "Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will be onstage at 6.00"

Sure enough, on they came at six.

Those were the days. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 8:08 PM, TomorrowNeverKnows said:

Any info most appriciated

Files found on an old USB drive ...    "1985-06-29 Breathless In Paris - Uber Series Volume 07"

I dont remember how they landed on my disc. Just saved 'em. Don't remember that I have ever seen them from start to finish. 

"... part of TattooDad's ...  and may only be traded for free."   

But nice covers added :-)

- - -

Just discovered that :   It has 3 audio tracks to select from ....   you dont get that on YouTube :-))

Audio
Track 1: SBD/AUD MIX DD5.1
Track 2: SBD/AUD MIX DD2.0
Track 3: SBD DD2.0 (audio untouched)

- - - 

Audio is volume 7, DVD is volume 2 I guess ...   https://www.spl-messages.net/topic/uber-project-lost-and-found---updated-october-9

And, running concurrently, because they're already in the above tally:
DVD UBER Vol. 1 - Verona '93 *PRO-SHOT* "A Gentleman Of Verona (HOJO)
DVD UBER Vol. 2 - Paris '85 *PRO-SHOT* "Breathless In Paris" (Digi-TOx)
DVD UBER Vol. 3 - Stockholm '93 *PRO-SHOT* "The Lost TV Special" (RCR)

Paris_1985_Breathless_in_Paris_Digi_TOx.jpg

paris85.jpg

Paris 1985.06.29 Uber Series Vol7 Info.txt

The Can't Help Falling In Love / BTR sequence on this video is tremendous. The version of his Elvis lament story that he tells here, followed by a beautiful rendition of the Elvis song, before exploding into one of his most life affirming songs in BTR... yet another example of a theme connecting his classic era music to what he's given us recently via Broadway and Western Stars