Greasy Lake Community

They Sure Don't Write 'Em Like They Used To (Part IV)

Nice call on that song.  Haven't heard it for a long time, but I love it.  I've never been sure if that was an older song from the 60's or a contemporary song from the 80's when I first heard it.

Adding it to my spotify list now!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, sonicramone said:

Nice call on that song.  Haven't heard it for a long time, but I love it.  I've never been sure if that was an older song from the 60's or a contemporary song from the 80's when I first heard it.

Just now, JustDan said:

My birth year.  You'd think I would know better.

They used to play this song on 97X during my college years.  It fit the format of catchy, alternative power pop, but every other song played was from the early 80's....Replacements, Smiths, XTC, etc.  Kind of like the old WHFS format in Balti/DC.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder.  Great song!

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, sonicramone said:

My birth year.  You'd think I would know better.

They used to play this song on 97X during my college years.  It fit the format of catchy, alternative power pop, but every other song played was from the early 80's....Replacements, Smiths, XTC, etc.  Kind of like the old WHFS format in Balti/DC.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder.  Great song!

The rhythm guitar double-strum is the hook of the song. I read the guitar player said he "stole" the lick from John Lennon's rhythm part on "All My Loving". If you listen to both rhythm guitar parts, they're quite similar, not in the chords but in the rapid double-strum progression.

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 11:47 AM, sonicramone said:

I don't stream but....nice to know they include one-hit wonders, especially from the 60s-70s.

• Like 1