You're welcome, and I hope you enjoy the track:-)

I also love the concert opening use Bruce makes of "Good Rockin' Tonight" but the youthful Elvis's ferocious singing of it is matchless.

• Like 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everyone, I'm Stefan, 41 years old and from The Netherlands. I've been an Elvis Presley fan for 30 years, a Mark Knopfler fan for 20, a Eric Clapton fan for 10 and a Joe Bonamassa fan for 5

I think it’s more fear of their country being lost in a flood 

You Dutch lot all really seem to love "Lost in the Flood" don't you? 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, JoleBlonAlba said:

You're welcome, and I hope you enjoy the track:-)

I also love the concert opening use Bruce makes of "Good Rockin' Tonight" but the youthful Elvis's ferocious singing of it is matchless.

Elvis's original 1954 SUN recording is dynamite and the live versions are fantastic. Bruce's cover reminds me what Elvis could (or even should) have done with his '50s songs in the '70s. As is known he didn't treat most of his '50s songs with much respect after 1970. I love what Bruce does with covers .. he doesn't just play the songs. he performs them and makes them his own. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

@BossfanNL, see this one with “Philly Elvis” yet?  

(Apologies if it’s already been posted...) 

(

Yes, saw it a couple of days ago on here. It was totally new to me. Thank you for taking the time to point it out. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

@BossfanNL Welcome! Hopefully you’ll get a chance to see Bruce on the next tour. It’s a life changing experience. Fingers crossed it’ll happen sooner rather than later. I’m sure we’re all looking forward to it.

Have you ever been to Graceland? My visit was what made me an Elvis fan.

• Love Love Love! 1
6 hours ago, Declansk said:

@BossfanNL Welcome! Hopefully you’ll get a chance to see Bruce on the next tour. It’s a life changing experience. Fingers crossed it’ll happen sooner rather than later. I’m sure we’re all looking forward to it.

Have you ever been to Graceland? My visit was what made me an Elvis fan.

Thank you for the welcome. No sadly financial and other reasons over the years have prevented me from going. But I made myself a promise to go before my 45th birthday, so still roughly have 4 years to go!  

I'll definitely hope to get that chance to go see Bruce live! 

7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

@BossfanNL What do you think of the latest album ?

Have you caught the live version from his barn ? 

I still have to listen to those. It is on  my 'to do' list when I have 6 days off from work starting next saturday.  I will definitely let you know what I think of it when I've listened to them. 

• Like 1

Welcome, Stefan!

75-85 Live was what has made me a fan, Ladies and Gentlemen, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, followed by the hauntingly beautiful Thunder Road...

I've read somewhere that the music you fall in love with as a teenager stays permanently engraved in your heart.

So it's very nice to read that someone discovered Bruce, and fell in love with his music, later on in life.

Better late than never. :)

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Welcome aboard, Stefan! It's cool new people are still discovering Bruce. Not a bad choice to start from the Live 75-85... ;)

I wasn't very keen on the acoustic stuff at first, either (probably because I had never listened to acoustic music before getting massively into Bruce), but gradually started to appreciate it as much as the other stuff.

• Like 3
On 7/25/2020 at 7:38 AM, BossfanNL said:

Hello everyone,

I'm Stefan, 41 years old and from The Netherlands. I've been an Elvis Presley fan for 30 years, a Mark Knopfler fan for 20, a Eric Clapton fan for 10 and a Joe Bonamassa fan for 5. These are just the ones I'm a fan of, there are loads more that I like (mostly artists from the '50s to '90s). 

For some reason I've never been a fan of Bruce  and until 6 months ago I only casually liked some songs (like 'Hungry Heart' and/or 'The Rising').  But, for some inexplicable reason I started listening to the live 75-85 set on Spotify last January and .......... it clicked!

I've been listening to Bruce , mostly live concerts, for like 85% since then. This only happened before with Elvis as with the other artists the 'click' came also, but with more struggling along the way. It feels like i was under some rock for the last 30 years. How could I have missed all this? I really love all Bruce, being it the '70s (definitely my favorite period with personal favorites like Íncident On 57th Street', 'Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) 'Thunder Road, 'Lost In The Flood', 'Frankie', 'It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City', 'Growin' Up', 'Racing In the Street', 'The Fever'). the '80s (Both 'The River' and 'Born In The USA' are brilliant albums and both tours are greatly fun to listen to), the '90s (Reunion shows are excellent and the last archive release from that year opening with 'Incident On 57th Street' is wonderful. The 2002-2020 area is quite equal to me (for now) in  a good sense. Love the Rising Tour, the Magic Tour, The Working On A Dream Tour (great DVD from London!), the Wrecking Ball/High Hopes Tour and the 2016 River Tour).

I'm less into the acoustic stuff (with all artists that I like) so I have no archive releases of the '96 and '05 tours. I do have some audience recordings and I will give those a try sometime. (Am I correct that the '05 tour is also heavily piano influenced? I love Bruce playing the piano.) Also I haven't found my feet yet in the Tunnel Of Love tour (I got all 4 official live releases, but as I bought 3 just today I only listened to the New York one, which I like but as said hasn't really clicked yet). 

Got about 55 archive live concerts (I really love live music) and apart from the ones I bought today (the 2 '77 ones, Cleveland and Houston '78 and the 3 remaining '88 shows I didn't have yet) have listened to each and every one of them. I also got several 2016/17 concerts. I bought all 10 USA shows from the second USA leg of the tour and those are among my favorites.

Bruce is a totally different performer than the ones I mentioned above. I really, really like his energy, his interaction with the audience, his guitar playing and interaction with the band. Speaking about the band, this is probably the best 'backing' band I've ever heard. From Roy to Gerry to Max, Steven Nils and Clarence they are all great musicians. I love Max's drumming and when I earlier this year watched the London 2009 blu ray for the first time it amazed me that he produced such a full and forcefull sound from, what seems to be, a small drum kit. 

Obviously, I have never seen Bruce live (should have gone in 2016 when he played in my hometown of The Hague), but with such a wealth of well recorded live material I can live with that. Should the chance ever arises to see him I won't hesitate for a second. It surprises me to become a fan of someone who is around for about 50 years on the music scene. It's great fun, amazing and exciting to delve into such an amount of music and I'm enjoying every minute of it. 

Welcome to the Lake!!!

Reading your words gives me faith in the mighty power of this man's work. It gives you strength, it helps you understand. It just plain rocks.

We are happy you are here. Keep listening.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
3 hours ago, Silvia said:

Welcome, Stefan!

75-85 Live was what has made me a fan, Ladies and Gentlemen, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, followed by the hauntingly beautiful Thunder Road...

I've read somewhere that the music you fall in love with as a teenager stays permanently engraved in your heart.

So it's very nice to read that someone discovered Bruce, and fell in love with his music, later on in life.

Better late than never. :)

Thank you for the welcome! I became an instant Elvis fan on my 10th birthday and still am to this day, so there might definitely be some truth in what you have read. It seems funny that all that is needed sometimes is some quiet time and a nice cup of coffee to set off a journey one never will forget. I don't have any regrets about not becoming a fan earlier and I just look forward to continuing a journey I started about 6 months ago and am immensely enjoying.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, *Janey* said:

Welcome aboard, Stefan! It's cool new people are still discovering Bruce. Not a bad choice to start from the Live 75-85... ;)

I wasn't very keen on the acoustic stuff at first, either (probably because I had never listened to acoustic music before getting massively into Bruce), but gradually started to appreciate it as much as the other stuff.

Thank you for the welcome! As a live music fan it seemed the most appropriate release to start listen to on a Saturday evening.

I'm not very keen on acoustic music as a whole, not even from Mark Knopfler or Eric Clapton. I do however enjoy some of it and you'll never know if Bruce gets me on that front too. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Buddhabone said:

Welcome to the Lake!!!

Reading your words gives me faith in the mighty power of this man's work. It gives you strength, it helps you understand. It just plain rocks.

We are happy you are here. Keep listening.

Thank you for the welcome. Never underestimate the power of music! Glad to be here. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
6 hours ago, Silvia said:

My favourite artists, to this day, are mostly the ones I became a fan of between the ages of 15 and 20.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

Thank you for the welcome! I became an instant Elvis fan on my 10th birthday and still am to this day, so there might definitely be some truth in what you have read. It seems funny that all that is needed sometimes is some quiet time and a nice cup of coffee to set off a journey one never will forget. I don't have any regrets about not becoming a fan earlier and I just look forward to continuing a journey I started about 6 months ago and am immensely enjoying.  

Can i tell you and Elvis story and please don't take offence

When i was in my 20s i used to hang out with my friend Deborah all the time 

This was before i rediscovered Bruce and i was listening to way too much country for Deborah's liking :lol:

Anyway anyway There was this house along the road from me and we would always make a point of driving or walking past at night in the hope that the curtains would be open with the lights on in the front room

It was Elvis mania !

Every inch of that room

We would laugh hysterically

I often think of that room now as i plan my Bruce room

I feel bad for laughing 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
6 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Can i tell you and Elvis story and please don't take offence

When i was in my 20s i used to hang out with my friend Deborah all the time 

This was before i rediscovered Bruce and i was listening to way too much country for Deborah's liking :lol:

Anyway anyway There was this house along the road from me and we would always make a point of driving or walking past at night in the hope that the curtains would be open with the lights on in the front room

It was Elvis mania !

Every inch of that room

We would laugh hysterically

I often think of that room now as i plan my Bruce room

I feel bad for laughing 

I'm not easily offended :D

I think it's a great story. When I was a teenager I had every inch of my room wallpapered with Elvis pictures. One day I took 'em all down as I couldn't sleep because of all the eyes staring at me. Feel free to laugh! 

• Haha 2
Just now, BossfanNL said:

I'm not easily offended :D

I think it's a great story. When I was a teenager I had every inch of my room wallpapered with Elvis pictures. One day I took 'em all down as I couldn't sleep because of all the eyes staring at me. Feel free to laugh! 

You didn't live in Royal crescent did you ? :lol:

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

My favourite artists, to this day, are mostly the ones I became a fan of between the ages of 15 and 20.

I became an Elvis fan at 10, Mark Knopfler fan at 21, Eric Clapton fan at 36 and a Bruce fan at 41.  It's like saving an apple for for the thirst. 

On 7/25/2020 at 4:16 PM, BossfanNL said:

Being an Elvis fan I really like that Bruce did so many covers of his songs, but that opening 'Good Rockin' Tonight' on September 20th has to be the best cover of an Elvis song ever and it's also one of the best openings of any concert I have heard so far. It's simply amazing, as I almost anything Bruce has done. 

I agree, when I bought that download I couldn't believe how good that version of Good Rockin' Tonight was. It helps that the archive is such good quality that you can just turn it right up and it's just full on balls to the wall Rock n' Roll.

• Like 1
On 7/27/2020 at 4:25 PM, Silvia said:

I, too, have read about that. I find it kind of interesting 'cause I'm the different kid who proves it doesn't always work like that. I was in my mid-twenties when my taste in music started changing dramatically (I should in fact say I started developing a taste in music) and after discovering Bruce big time, I never looked back. So, for me, there's no going back to whatever it was before Bruce. 

• Like 3