Mazdaq

Song that you've most underappreciated

What's the one song you didn't appreciate or "get" and then all of a sudden, you began to realise what an incredible piece of art it is?

For me, at the moment, it's The Time That Never Was. I didn't listen to the The Ties That Bind collection much when it was first released on the box set, but have been listening to it loads recently. Really some amazing "unreleased" songs on here (Stray Bullet is another). But at the moment, I just have The Time That Never Was on repeat! Love Max's drum beat, Bruce's wailing, the lyrics. It uplifts me and makes me sad at the same time.

And how Loose Ends never made it to the official River studio album still remains the greatest mystery to me!

• Like 3

A nice topic! (I, too, like The Time That Never Was and Stray Bullet quite a bit!)

Off top of my head, The Price You Pay. I never disliked this song, it just took me a while to get it. I kind of missed the song when I first heard it live in 2013. I think the song really hit me around 2015 and it's been one of my very favourites since then (I get Brucebumps just thinking about the lyrics). I was so happy to hear it live again in 2016!  

• Like 1

Kingdom of Days for me. In fact, most of Working on a Dream. At the time I really dismissed the album as just a Super Bowl tie-in and a bunch of Magic outtakes. Now I love it. The Last Carnival is another absolute masterpiece.   

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, Mazdaq said:

What's the one song you didn't appreciate or "get" and then all of a sudden, you began to realise what an incredible piece of art it is?

For me, at the moment, it's The Time That Never Was. I didn't listen to the The Ties That Bind collection much when it was first released on the box set, but have been listening to it loads recently. Really some amazing "unreleased" songs on here (Stray Bullet is another). But at the moment, I just have The Time That Never Was on repeat! Love Max's drum beat, Bruce's wailing, the lyrics. It uplifts me and makes me sad at the same time.

And how Loose Ends never made it to the official River studio album still remains the greatest mystery to me!

Absolutely love The Ties That Bind collection. Still listen frequently. When The River came out I genuinely thought that Bruce had one and a half albums of good songs and the rest was necessary filler. In those days missing songs weren't rumoured like they are today. Someone here recently has suggested that he should have released a 3 disc vinyl at the time. I agree, George Harrison did it I'm sure Bruce could have done it. There was just too much good material there.

Went off topic there slightly. For me Racing in the Street. 

• Like 1

Stolen Car.

When I first heard the River album back in the early 80's, this was the song I just couldn't get. I thought it was too slow, monotonous, and cliched.

As I got older I gradually realised what the song was about and it began to really resonate with me. I now think it's one of the best songs on the album. Full of emotion and pain. In concert, he puts so much feeling into it.

• Like 3

Johnny bye-bye is the first one that comes to mind. Also took me a long time to realise that Dancing in the dark Is one of my favorite Bruce songs.

• Like 5

Crush On You and Ramrod.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Crush On You and Ramrod.

Two of my favourites!

• Like 1

The album version of It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City. 

While almost every live version of this song blows it away. I've come to enjoy the album more and more, even the Tracks version sounds better. 

• Like 1

Born in the USA didn't grow on me until I heard it live at Ullevi '85. The studio recording didn't do much for me at the time.

New York City Serenade. I first heard that on some '70s audience recordings. The 2016/17 opening versions recorded in multitrack made me fall in love with that song. 

• Like 2

Incident and NYCS, for years. Really it was y'all raving about them that persuaded me to really give them another go - and that worked out just fine! 

I still don't rate Kitty's Back though, but maybe that'll come to me eventually as well...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jesus was the sheriff said:

I still don't rate Kitty's Back though, but maybe that'll come to me eventually as well...

Yes, Incident came later for me in the Rising tour..love it now!

Kitty's Back - I don't understand the attention it gets from some. Maybe I will one day as well. 

• Like 2

A Good Man is Hard to Find.

Not so much unappreciated but overlooked.

Another Vietnam War song and proof that there is no bad song on that theme from Bruce.

I cannot work out if the woman is a widow or the abandoned wife from the later Brothers Under the Bridge. Either way the imagery of her sitting in the light of the Christmas tree is wonderful. 

• Love Love Love! 1

22 minutes ago, fadeaway said:

Yes, Incident came later for me in the Rising tour..love it now!

Kitty's Back - I don't understand the attention it gets from some. Maybe I will one day as well. 

You do understand, someone will be coming down hard on you soon! ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jesus was the sheriff said:

Incident and NYCS, for years. Really it was y'all raving about them that persuaded me to really give them another go - and that worked out just fine! 

That could be me talking!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

You do understand, someone will be coming down hard on you soon! ;)

Maybe we can distract her so that she doesn't see this thread. Or we could take it in turns to stand watch and stop her entering :P

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Accountant Pete said:

A Good Man is Hard to Find.

Excellent choice! 

11 hours ago, *Janey* said:

A nice topic! (I, too, like The Time That Never Was and Stray Bullet quite a bit!)

Off top of my head, The Price You Pay. I never disliked this song, it just took me a while to get it. I kind of missed the song when I first heard it live in 2013. I think the song really hit me around 2015 and it's been one of my very favourites since then (I get Brucebumps just thinking about the lyrics). I was so happy to hear it live again in 2016!  

Yeah that's a great song. The key change at the end is just brilliant!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Green Fox said:

Absolutely love The Ties That Bind collection. Still listen frequently. When The River came out I genuinely thought that Bruce had one and a half albums of good songs and the rest was necessary filler. In those days missing songs weren't rumoured like they are today. Someone here recently has suggested that he should have released a 3 disc vinyl at the time. I agree, George Harrison did it I'm sure Bruce could have done it. There was just too much good material there.

That would have been a hell of a collection!

9 hours ago, Lampi said:

Crush On You and Ramrod.

I'm in the SVZ camp when it comes to Crush on You but I do love a bit of Ramrod, especially live.

I'll Work For Your Love........paints a great picture of a guy with a serious crush on the barmaid

• Like 1