Greasy Lake Community

Song that you've most underappreciated

Kitty's back

Never really got into that 2nd album for the longest time because it really just wasn't relatable like so much of his music is

Then i saw Max and his big band on backstreets news after they did stand up for heros - with no singing 

And i loved it ! 

And every time ive heard it since i love it more and more

• Like 1
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kingdom of Days for me. In fact, most of Working on a Dream. At the time I really dismissed the album as just a Super Bowl tie-in and a bunch of Magic outtakes. Now I love it. The Last Carnival is ano

Johnny bye-bye is the first one that comes to mind. Also took me a long time to realise that Dancing in the dark Is one of my favorite Bruce songs.

Maybe we can distract her so that she doesn't see this thread. Or we could take it in turns to stand watch and stop her entering 

Posted Images

Most of the Tunnel of Love album but especially Walk Like a Man. When I first heard the album I thought it was very anticlimactic compared to Born in the USA but I really appreciate it now. 

• Like 1

Reno.

My husband has bought the CD on the day I got home from the hospital after giving birth to our second son. The song was physically too painful to listen to. I felt my stitches tighten. :D

Love the song tremendously now.

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

Doesn't look like it to me. According to my tab the chords are G C D Bm Em all the way through. And that's the key of G.

That's my recollection.  Maybe Mazdaq was referring to "The Ties That Bind", which does have a key change.

18 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

That's my recollection.  Maybe Mazdaq was referring to "The Ties That Bind", which does have a key change.

Yeah sorry, my musical knowledge isn't what it should be. I just mean the bit at the end where he goes up on "I'm going to tear it down and throw it away". Just love that bit.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Long Time Comin'

Always really enjoyed the Devils & Dust album as a whole. Sometime after I became a father in '13 it struck deep, relating to the fear of passing on the worst in ourselves to our children. Then the way it finishes, with the warmth of a campfire, the love family brings and with the hope of a better man emerging.  

Now it is one of my very favourite songs.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Dancing In The Dark, til I saw the video of him doing it at the Bridge Show at the Shoreline from 1986.

I still don't like the studio version.

Also Janey, Don't You Lose Heart, when I got tapes of the Count Basie rehearsal show from a trader shortly after it happened in '93.

Another great song lost to really bad overproduction.

And the same for hearing Tougher Than The Rest and My Hometown (neither great, but much better) from the Christic shows, again from tapes in the mail, back then,

and also for Cynthia, same deal, with this time Crystal Cat showing me the great song hidden under there. I needed to hear it stripped of that awful, soporific production.

And then there's Born In The USA from the Bridge show as well............

On 7/30/2020 at 5:21 AM, Sean McNeill said:

Most of The Ghost of Tom Joad record. Couldn't get into it initially. Whilst its a moody record, when I'm in the mood to go there its a fantastic experience.

It took me live recordings of most of the songs to appreciate that album. I only liked the title track and My Best Was Never Good Enough til hearing some live stuff, like the Columbia Records Hour tape, and then boots, like Berlin, etc......

Because The Night if you can believe it.

Always thought it was just ok, which was on the basis of the Live 75-85 version. But I think getting multiple live versions via the Archives series in recent years has really seen my appreciation of this track grow. The 78 versions with that guitar figure during the intro are tremendous, as are the outros.... the version from the non- radio broadcast Passiac archive show is mind blowing.

I think seeing and hearing it in person a few times since 2013, with Nils doing his spinning guitar solo, also helped me appreciate the song more.

• Bruuuuce! 1

Highway Patrolman. Have listened to this lately multiple times and his grown so much on me that I actually am considering  playing the Nebraska album in full. Not 100% there yet though. Probably need a few close listens to this song again first though. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

considering  playing the Nebraska album in full. 

Err....you could first play what was Side 1 -the first six songs- and then later the same day or even the next day, Side 2-so the last four songs.

The old fashioned vinyl experience.:)

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
1 minute ago, Lampi said:

Err....you could first play what was Side 1 -the first six songs- and then later the same day or even the next day, Side 2-so the last four songs.

The old fashioned vinyl experience.:)

It's just that, for whatever reason, usually don't like acoustic songs. I got an appreciation for Highway Patrolman because of Paolo pointing the live version out in his review for the August 5th, 1984 concert and that's the version I'm referring to above  (should have made that more clear as it might seem i'm pointing towards the studio recording). 

Your idea of approaching the Nebraska album as a vinyl album (instead of continues cd) is something I've never thought about and certainly something which could work for me. I have to say thou that with Bruce's strong songwriting even acoustic songs are a better listen than most from other artists.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

Highway Patrolman. Have listened to this lately multiple times and his grown so much on me that I actually am considering  playing the Nebraska album in full. Not 100% there yet though. Probably need a few close listens to this song again first though. 

Oh oh oh oh !!!! :lol:

You have to play that thing either at 2am lying in your bed alone* - preferably where you can see any car head lights that drive past

Or at 2am yourself out driving alone either out on the highway or on some deserted country roads

*so long as partner is dead to the world, not snoring or having wind or wrestling with the blankets etc would be probably ok but of they wake up they ruin the mood

b0f385c0f7148c16ed4896c3b826014f-1.jpg

• Haha 3
15 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

You set your alarm for 2am yet ?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

You set your alarm for 2am yet ?

No. I work shifts. Early shift I get up at 03.50am, evening shift around 10am and night shift around 5/6pm ;)

55 minutes ago, BossfanNL said:

No. I work shifts. Early shift I get up at 03.50am, evening shift around 10am and night shift around 5/6pm ;)

Hmmmmm

We can work this to Nebraska's advantage

How long is your commute ?

I must say when i used to walk to work to start work at 6.45am i had some of the absolute best something in the nights

On cold frosty mornings with all the stars out and no one else around, just me and Bruce and the lonelly road trudging off to work

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Hmmmmm

We can work this to Nebraska's advantage

How long is your commute ?

I must say when i used to walk to work to start work at 6.45am i had some of the absolute best something in the nights

On cold frosty mornings with all the stars out and no one else around, just me and Bruce and the lonelly road trudging off to work

My commuting time is 45/60 minutes. I'm always listening to Bruce with a wireless Bose Quietcomfort 35 II connected to my phone. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

Not Bruce, but Estranged by Guns n Roses.  Never got it until hearing it live a couple of years ago in Olympic Park.  Love it now.

Bruce-wise, a similar story.  Used to skip Drive all Night when playing The River.   The herad it live on a 2014 release and suddenly realised what a great song it was.  How on earth did I not hear it before?!

I used to think Stolen Car was a droning dirge.  Then I heard the Tracks version and realised what a stunningly poignant song it really is.  Still think the original album version is shit though.  I genuinely cannot fathom why that take got the nod.

• Love Love Love! 1