Greasy Lake Community

Song that you've most underappreciated

26 minutes ago, Karembu said:

I genuinely cannot fathom why that take got the nod.

Well I’m personally glad it did, as I love that version, and much prefer it to the Tracks version.  

To each his/her own; and lucky for us fans, we have both from which to choose... 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kingdom of Days for me. In fact, most of Working on a Dream. At the time I really dismissed the album as just a Super Bowl tie-in and a bunch of Magic outtakes. Now I love it. The Last Carnival is ano

Johnny bye-bye is the first one that comes to mind. Also took me a long time to realise that Dancing in the dark Is one of my favorite Bruce songs.

Maybe we can distract her so that she doesn't see this thread. Or we could take it in turns to stand watch and stop her entering 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Karembu said:

I used to think Stolen Car was a droning dirge.  Then I heard the Tracks version and realised what a stunningly poignant song it really is.  Still think the original album version is shit though.  I genuinely cannot fathom why that take got the nod.

I wouldn't call it shit, but it certainly can't compare to the Tracks (original) version for me by any means.

The LP version works more as a mood piece if I'm in the mood, on rare occasions; the one he abandoned is absolutely incredible.

It also contains one of Bruce's best ever studio vocals.

Bruce often made the wrong artistic decisions for his albums, starting very much with The River, and this is a perfect example to me.

Individually I prefer Son You May Kiss The Bride to Stolen Car. And not a little, but very much.

But Stolen Car better fits the River album; Son You May Kiss The Bride maybe sounds too much like the Darkness outtake it is, with some 1976-1977 echos; a little bit like the sound of the 1976 and 1977 live versions of Something In The Night (not the Darkness album version and 1978 live versions).(others may find this complete nonsense).

Son You May Kiss The Bride for sure would not have fit in with Wreck On The Highway and Point Blank like Stolen Car did so great in 1980 (not that much (anymore) in 1981).

• Like 1
12 hours ago, BossfanNL said:

My commuting time is 45/60 minutes. I'm always listening to Bruce with a wireless Bose Quietcomfort 35 II connected to my phone. 

Perfect for Nebraska ! A little over 40min

• Love Love Love! 1
7 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Well I’m personally glad it did, as I love that version, and much prefer it to the Tracks version.  

To each his/her own; and lucky for us fans, we have both from which to choose... 

Me too

I can't imangine the river without that version 

• Bruuuuce! 1

Jackson Cage. Until it hit me decades later that I am in charge of the key to the universe.

A whole new ballgame.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Lampi said:

Individually I prefer Son You May Kiss The Bride to Stolen Car. And not a little, but very much.

But Stolen Car better fits the River album; Son You May Kiss The Bride maybe sounds too much like the Darkness outtake it is, with some 1976-1977 echos; a little bit like the sound of the 1976 and 1977 live versions of Something In The Night (not the Darkness album version and 1978 live versions).(others may find this complete nonsense).

Son You May Kiss The Bride for sure would not have fit in with Wreck On The Highway and Point Blank like Stolen Car did so great in 1980 (not that much (anymore) in 1981).

I agree with this. The aesthetic of the River version of Stolen Car not only fits better into the general soundscape of the album, but points forward to what is to come (Nebraska).

The Tracks version harks back to earlier times musically.

I'm not a gushing fan of the song in either configuration TBH. At a pinch, I probably personally prefer the Tracks version. But I think Bruce made the correct choice in the version he used for the album

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Lampi said:

Point Blank is an interesting one as I actually love all its incarnations.  The album version is a great piece of noir storytelling but I also love the unreleased rock version.

Best of all are the 78 versions.  Plural as you can really hear the song evolve from Roxy through to Winterland 2.  Love all the 78 versions which all have something uniquely special about them - love the “all things must fade away” line from the Roxy for example - but Passaic 1 is my favourite.  The vocal is a contender for best ever along with Incident from Nassau 80 (as amazing as the guitar outro is, the vocal is maybe even better!)

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
30 minutes ago, Karembu said:

Point Blank is an interesting one as I actually love all its incarnations.  The album version is a great piece of noir storytelling but I also love the unreleased rock version.

Best of all are the 78 versions.  Plural as you can really hear the song evolve from Roxy through to Winterland 2.  Love all the 78 versions which all have something uniquely special about them - love the “all things must fade away” line from the Roxy for example - but Passaic 1 is my favourite.  The vocal is a contender for best ever along with Incident from Nassau 80 (as amazing as the guitar outro is, the vocal is maybe even better!)

My favourite point blanks were 78 ones until the 2016 river tour 

13 hours ago, Karembu said:

Point Blank is an interesting one as I actually love all its incarnations.  The album version is a great piece of noir storytelling but I also love the unreleased rock version. Best of all are the 78 versions. 

Agree with all of this but it's the same as for Stolen Car: I prefer Point Blank 1978 version to the River album version (but only slightly, not like Stolen Car; I think Son You May Kiss The Bride is far superior to Stolen Car on The River album); however the 1978 live version, indeed, sounds like 1978; the River album version of Point Blank better fits on The River album itself. And in the live shows; the Stolen Car-Wreck On The Highway-Point Blank sequence was a highlight of the 1980 shows; Son You May Kiss The Bride-Wreck On The Highway-Point Blank 1978 version not so much, probably, maybe.

I also really like the fast version of Point Blank, but does that version not also sound a little bit like 1977-1978 (and raw, unpolished)? And maybe also like it still needs some work to be done, like it is unfinished; but likely  it was never finished because the better, slow version (or the more River-album fitting version) was chosen for inclusion on the album (as last song it seems, how strange is that!). (but I think I also once read, somewhere, the last song chosen for inclusion was Crush On You, in favour of Be True, even more strange! Even if I really like Crush On You).

7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

since the 2016 river tour i really really love the river even more and apart from adding MMITCT to open, i would not change a thing

That was a very good opening song indeed. Especially with the 'We are glad to be in your beautiful city here tonight' speech. 

• Bruuuuce! 1
11 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

since the 2016 river tour i really really love the river even more and apart from adding MMITCT to open, i would not change a thing

Made me appreciate it more as an actual album. I prefer many of the Tracks 2 and box set cuts on a song by song basis but as a consolidated work of art, what a journey The River is.  Ebbs and flows like life itself, which I guess was kind of the point.

And Crush on You is genuinely one of the all time great rock and roll songs.  Bruce meets the Stones meets Johnny Thunders in swaggering fashion...

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Backstreets is such a case for me. I did like it when I started to listen to Bruce Springsteen, but it was only earlier this year I realised how f***ing great that song is. I just couldn't stop listening to it and played it over and over again. I guess I drove the people I shared the student housing with crazy, but it was totally worth it :D

Where the Bands Are is another song I really underrated. I never cared about the song when I first heard it listening through Tracks or The Ties That Bind Collection, but after I heard the version from Ullevi 2012, which I liked, it has really grown on me.

Now, I've only been a real Springsteen fan for little more than a year (even though it's seems a lot longer to me), so I guess it may seem a bit silly with such a fresh fan talking about songs I underrated when I first heard them a year ago, but that's the way it is anyway!

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
On 8/13/2020 at 1:46 AM, Karembu said:

Made me appreciate it more as an actual album. I prefer many of the Tracks 2 and box set cuts on a song by song basis but as a consolidated work of art, what a journey The River is.  Ebbs and flows like life itself, which I guess was kind of the point.

And Crush on You is genuinely one of the all time great rock and roll songs.  Bruce meets the Stones meets Johnny Thunders in swaggering fashion...

i underappreciated most of the lighter songs on the river till the 2016 tour when fluff and filler was transformed into relevance and meaning