Greasy Lake Community

Your favorite guitar solo ?

6 hours ago, Wout said:

LOST IN THE FLOOOOOOOD 

This one goes without saying ;):D By the way, that is awesome quality video. Is that show available somewhere complete (or any of the other from that 10 show USA stretch? )

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Do i even need to write down my favourite

Its always going to be the 78 into from winterland

You don't have to, but it has given you a new opportunity to do so. It is an awesome choice either way :D

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

38 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Actually, as a modern day suggestion, the solo on Frankie from the recent archive series show (Goteborg?) is pretty flippin' brilliant. 

Will have to check that one out. Heard that version but am not too familiar with it as of now. Great opportunity to change that. 

1 minute ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

Best guitar duel is probably IHTBASITC,but Heaven's Wall is great live too,they should've extended it a bit though.

Heaven's Wall is on the High Hopes cd right? Will listen to it. Do not believe I have heard a live version either yet. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

Absolutely.Is that you in the picture?Are you a Bruce tribute act?

Yes that's me, I front the East Street Band, say it out loud it makes sense.  We've been going around 11 years now, the picture was from the Mayfair Hotel in London I believe

Www.eaststreetband.uk 

Or we're on Facebook

• Like 2

4 hours ago, el sergio said:

Some of the guitar solos mentioned in this topic by other lakers are being described in this excellent article

https://www.musicradar.com/news/5-songs-guitarist-need-to-hear-by-bruce-springsteen

Thank you, that was an interesting read. 

Two come to mind from recently...

Because the Night - Leeds 2013

And Incident from Hanging Rock 2013

These two fucking SMOKE...and even though Nils is certainly a better technician, I am firmly convinced Bruce is the best player in the E Street Band if he wants to...and one of the greats if he concentrates on his playing rather than just banging away at the axe.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2

9 minutes ago, NoneButTheBrave said:

Two come to mind from recently...

Because the Night - Leeds 2013

And Incident from Hanging Rock 2013

These two fucking SMOKE...and even though Nils is certainly a better technician, I am firmly convinced Bruce is the best player in the E Street Band if he wants to...and one of the greats if he concentrates on his playing rather than just banging away at the axe.

Both are great indeed. I have the Leeds concert on DVD but haven't seen it yet. The 2nd one is totally new to me, so thank you for putting it here. I'll never tire of either that song or those solo's. 

Just now, BossfanNL said:

Both are great indeed. I have the Leeds concert on DVD but haven't seen it yet. The 2nd one is totally new to me, so thank you for putting it here. I'll never tire of either that song or those solo's. 

Yeah...just shows how much of a good player he is when he puts his mind to it...that fast part (not difficult in that sense, but sensationally paced and played) of the Incident solo was pretty much improvised - at least I'd never heard it like that before, even though he started incorporating a faster part during the Magic tour...

• Love Love Love! 1

1 minute ago, NoneButTheBrave said:

Yeah...just shows how much of a good player he is when he puts his mind to it...that fast part (not difficult in that sense, but sensationally paced and played) of the Incident solo was pretty much improvised - at least I'd never heard it like that before, even though he started incorporating a faster part during the Magic tour...

I do not play myself (i wish), but I'm a great fan of the electric guitar. Bruce may not be in the same league as Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton or Joe Bonamassa, but he definitely holds his own and is an above average guitar player who can both 'bang away' as you put it but can also play very delicately of which the 1978 intro to 'Because The Night' shows with that great piano and guitar intro. (and not even speaking about 'Prove It All Night 1978 :D).

As a side note, because I'm also a hardcore Elvis Presley fan I once (about 15 years ago) watched Roy Orbison's black and white night DVD as a couple members of Elvis's former TCB band played that show with him. Among them James Burton on guitar. It wasn't just James who caught my eye during that performance as there was another 'guitarist' there that evening who even duelled with James on (I believe) 'Oh Pretty Woman' and definitely held his own!  ;)

Strangely, with few exceptions, I think that 78 intro to PIAN is a tad overrated (Largo is the best version I know. That one is pretty good and very focused, definitely the peak performance IMO. Most others I've heard, esp. from later on that tour, are wild, but lack focus and pace) - BTN is pretty good, I agree. And yeah, I also know the Black and White Night performance, though I have to say Burton pretty much shows him where it's at in terms of country guitar...Bruce looks a wee bit lost there and can't seem to go past his routine licks;).

• Like 1

Impossible to pick one:

Incident, 29.12.80

Streets of Fire studio

Because The Night, 19.12.78

Roulette

None But The Brave, bootleg outtake, not the official

Backstreets

I also have a soft spot for the Cover Me studio version, possibly the last solo/solos where he sounded like "old" Bruce.

• Like 2

I love the lead playing in Adam Raised A Cain (favorite version - The Forum, 7/5/78) and Streets Of Fire (favorite either 12/15/78 or 9/19/78), Prove It All Night (12/15/78 or 9/30/78), Incident (3/25/77, with 12/29/80 next), Because The Night (not sure what version, possibly Agora '78 or maybe Portland 12/19/78), Nils on Youngstown from the Reunion tour (not sure what show), and Saint In The City with Bruce and Steven dueling, first version I heard was the Bottom Line version, that's a contender but the 7/7/78 Roxy one I'd probably pick over that, not sure what other ones - they're always great! Also love the guitar on Roulette, Restless Nights, and You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) - the ones of it from Nassau are my favorites of it.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1