Greasy Lake Community

Is Taylor Swift the new Springsteen

9 hours ago, saschanrw said:

Feel uncomfortable every time this thread pops up again. Honestly, if Taylor Swift is the new Springsteen then Madonna was the new Dylan. Maybe Justin Timberlake is the new Leonard Cohen?

Have you even heard anything from her latest two albums?

(Not saying that she Is the new Springsteen though)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, saschanrw said:

Feel uncomfortable every time this thread pops up again. Honestly, if Taylor Swift is the new Springsteen then Madonna was the new Dylan. Maybe Justin Timberlake is the new Leonard Cohen?

Not saying she is the new Bruce either but comparing the talents of Madonna and Timberlake against Taylor Swift is like comparing Bieber to Bruce...listen to the last 2 Taylor records and marvel...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, davide2002 said:

Not saying she is the new Bruce either but comparing the talents of Madonna and Timberlake against Taylor Swift is like comparing Bieber to Bruce...listen to the last 2 Taylor records and marvel...

Yep. Even a jaded old cynic like my good self has been amazed. Folklore is one of the best albums I've ever heard. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Yep. Even a jaded old cynic like my good self has been amazed. Folklore is one of the best albums I've ever heard. 

I agree, Folklore has so many good songs on it. Not sure what Taylor's teenage fans will make of it though.

5 hours ago, Promise61 said:

It’s a damn good album. Musical tastes are different so if you don’t like it, don’t listen to it. But I would suggest not skipping it just because it’s Taylor Swift. 
Is she the next Springsteen? I hope not. We already have one of those.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

It’s a damn good album. Musical tastes are different so if you don’t like it, don’t listen to it. But I would suggest not skipping it just because it’s Taylor Swift. 
Is she the next Springsteen? I hope not. We already have one of those.

That whole 'new Springsteen' thing is nonsense click bait.  Their subject matter, for one thing, is completely different. It's opened up a healthy discussion about TS's talent, though.

Could Bruce be the new Taylor Swift by getting Antonoff to work on his next record?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Promise61 said:

That whole 'new Springsteen' thing is nonsense click bait.  Their subject matter, for one thing, is completely different. It's opened up a healthy discussion about TS's talent, though.

Could Bruce be the new Taylor Swift by getting Antonoff to work on his next record?

Does Antonoff know how to create sweeping, cinematic, orchestral arrangements?

• Haha 3

I really don't get this whole love for Antonoff? 

Do you really want Bruce to sound like The National? Because that is what he's done with TS. I actually gave the last two album's a shot because of what I've read on here. And really do enjoy them. But I don't want Bruce to sound like this! 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I really don't get this whole love for Antonoff? 

Do you really want Bruce to sound like The National? Because that is what he's done with TS. I actually gave the last two album's a shot because of what I've read on here. And really do enjoy them. But I don't want Bruce to sound like this! 

I think when people mention Antonoff in here they are not expecting/wanting the folklore/evermore sound from Bruce but rather a Bleachers type of sound.

Also, I'd rather guess that it's Aaron Dessner who was made Taylor sound similar to The National, since he's a member of that band.

• Like 2

I don't want Bruce to sound like Bleacher either. I want Bruce to sound like Darkness, BTR, Magic and LTY. 

And I guess that's the problem I had with WS. If I wanted to hear Glenn Campbell, I would listen to GC. If I want to hear Bleacher, I would listen to Bleacher. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

I don't want Bruce to sound like Bleacher either. I want Bruce to sound like Darkness, BTR, Magic and LTY. 

And I guess that's the problem I had with WS. If I wanted to hear Glenn Campbell, I would listen to GC. If I want to hear Bleacher, I would listen to Bleacher. 

Good God.  Antonoff is 1 of the greatest of this generation.  The stuff he has produced is spectacular from the latest releases of not only Taylor but Dixie Chicks, Lorde, Lana Del rey...he's a musical genius powerhouse.  You are truly missing out.  Bleachers 'Strange desire' is beginning to end awesome.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, davide2002 said:

Good God.  Antonoff is 1 of the greatest of this generation.  The stuff he has produced is spectacular from the latest releases of not only Taylor but Dixie Chicks, Lorde, Lana Del rey...he's a musical genius powerhouse.  You are truly missing out.  Bleachers 'Strange desire' is beginning to end awesome.

If you say so. So getting back to Bruce, what would you hope a get together with Antonoff produce! What kind of sound? A Bleacher, TS, or DC sound? Or a real soft spoken Bruce with a nice little acoustic guitar played over the top of a electric piano! 

Not sure.  I think it would be interesting in that he is such a creative force and practically everything he does is cool and he draws from all styles.  He is also a huge Bruce fan, i remember reading that the River was 1 of his favorite albums of all time.

PS:  I am an older Bruce fan and a huge fan of all Taylor eras.  She is a phenomenal talent and a massive Bruce fan can certainly be a Swift fan, no problem.  Dive into it, you'll like it!

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Dylan and Lanois was an odd mix but produced a classic Dylan album and restored his reputation. Spector and Dion? Classic.  And how many eyebrows were raised when people found out that Johnny Cash was working with Rick Rubin? Odd pairings often produce great work, so let Antonoff loose with Bruce and see what happens.

• Like 3

I think I've asked this before, but what is the role and or job of a producer? My view is he/she is the ideas person in arrangements. And the final music on the album. So wouldn't that ultimately be Bruce? As Bruce wouldn't let anything out without his permission? 

Watching the film, and I know we didn't see the whole of recording of LTY, and Ron Aniello got credit as producer. But really shouldn't Bruce and The E-street Band be credited for production?

On 2/4/2021 at 5:40 PM, londonhogfan said:

i don't know about Taylor Swift, but the artist I think has the most similar writing style to Bruce Springsteen is Slaid Cleaves. His production company is called Magic Rat and is a big Springsteen fan.

Now this is the type of music that floats my boat! I gotta learn more about this guy's work (I've never heard of him before). Based on these songs, his writing style is very Springsteenish indeed. Thanks for bringing Slaid to my attention!

1 hour ago, *Janey* said:

Now this is the type of music that floats my boat! I gotta learn more about this guy's work (I've never heard of him before). Based on these songs, his writing style is very Springsteenish indeed. Thanks for bringing Slaid to my attention!

If you liked the first song you would probably enjoy Ryan Adams and Lucinda Williams (maybe you already are though).

On 2/4/2021 at 10:40 AM, londonhogfan said:

i don't know about Taylor Swift, but the artist I think has the most similar writing style to Bruce Springsteen is Slaid Cleaves. His production company is called Magic Rat and is a big Springsteen fan.

I'd never heard of this guy but am loving these songs. Which albums are worth starting with would you say?

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 9:30 PM, stillilllife said:

If you liked the first song you would probably enjoy Ryan Adams and Lucinda Williams (maybe you already are though).

I did like the first song. I'm familiar with some Ryan and Lucinda songs but I'm not really keen on their work (I'm very picky when it comes to music :P). 

On 8/5/2020 at 11:16 AM, Tanqueray&Wine said:

Firstly, Funniest.Thread.Ever.

To Daisy's point: the only thing I know about Swift is a lot of her songs bitch about ex-relationships and probably without any sense of redemption or how it defined the protagonists personal growth through painful experience.  Springsteen explores relationships in intimate, sometimes gut-wrenching depth, and from both sides of the schism.

So,

If the breakdown of a relationship leaves me heartbroken and in need of soul searing honesty, I'll listen to Springsteen.

If I just want to pour a bucket of chicken manure in that persons car, I'll listen to Taylor Swift.

*Disclosure: I have not listened to much, if any, Taylor Swift though media reporting on her genre approach is less easy to avoid.

And this comment is pretty funny too.

I used to think this way about Swift's work.

Try "All Too Well" (written aged 22) or even 'Tim McGraw' (written aged 16), or 'Blank Space' (which takes the piss out of the characterisation of Swift portrayed in the media). All very good examples of song-writing.

• Like 3

Not sure if she is the new Bruce.

But pretty content her last few releases are better than Bruce's ditto.

She startet out as a country artist, then pop and now what? Indie? All while being on top and even grow bigger.