Greasy Lake Community

the anniversaries of the birth and death of Jerome John Garcia.

Happy birthday, Jerry! The best 9-and-a-half fingered guitar player ever :D Gone from us way too soon.

Jerry and Wolf :) 

• Like 1

for today, my favorite summer tour encore - It's All Over Now, Baby Blue from SPAC 6/24/84

soft summer night, tall pine trees, great show with this to send us of down the highway

for those not familiar with the Deadhead recording scene, this is from the taping section behind the soundboard, in the middle of the audience, using highly-directional Nakamichi microphones (NAK-300 with the CP-4 "shotgun" capsule ;)). If only Bruce had allowed this kind of sound capture of all his performances. Sad panda :( 

https://archive.org/details/gd84-06-24.nak.connor.4628.sbeok.shnf/gd84-06-24d3t06.shn

2 minutes ago, the imposter said:

I like this thread ...

This might be my favourite youtube video feat. Jerry G:

if you like a good Bird Song then this one is essential, 3/29/90 @ Nassau Coliseum with special guest Branford Marsalis. I was there this night, and it was amazing!

2 months later I was scuba diving in Kona when Jerry and his gf drove up to get on the boat. Jerry was an avid diver. During the break between dives we all shared a 6 ft sub the dive boat provided, and rested. While I generally left Jerry alone (I did get a pic of him and his gf underwater during the first dive :)) I had a chance to talk to him a little. I told him I was a big fan, and had been at this Nassau show with Branford. I said that it looked lke they were having a really good time up there together. Jerry got a far away look in his eyes, smiled that Cheshire Cat grin of his, and said, "Yeah, we were!" For someone who famously had good days and bad days, it was really nice to see him be able to transport back to that really good day. That smile he smiled was glorious!

• Like 1

for today, a favorite of one of my daughter's trainers when she was riding ponies

Reuben and Cherise, Buckeye Lake 6/9/91, Jerry and Rosebud

20+years of touring from these guitars, such amazing sounds Jerry brought forth

(l. to r.) The Travis Bean, Wolf, Tiger, Rosebud

116434445_3525698534129970_5614356303509

Jerry's final song, Chicago '95 - Black Muddy River

I will walk alone, by the black muddy river,
And dream me a dream of my own,
I will walk alone, by the black muddy river,
And sing me a song of my own, sing me a song of my own.

sweet - https://www.jambase.com/article/remembering-jerry-garcia-jerry-wept

Playlist: Interview, Peggy-O (6/26/94), Interview, Wharf Rat (11/3/91), Interview, Stella Blue (6/14/91), Interview, Visions Of Johanna (3/18/95), Interview, China Doll (6/16/90), Interview, I Shall Be Released (9/1/90), Interview, Standing On The Moon ( 7/6/90), Interview, So Many Roads (7/9/95)

"This is Grateful, performed by Jesse and me in the living room. I wrote the song for Jerry Garcia on his passing day, August 9,1995, twenty-five years ago. One common wire, one silver thread refers to a strand of Jerry's hair. Simple and beloved.."

- Patti Smith

25 years ago, days after Jerry passed, Db played he Greek in Berkeley, and played a one-off 11 minute Eyes of the World in memory. While I never got into DMB, this is a fine piece of muscianship, and showcases his band well.