MagicRat1983

Tucson Train by Little Steven van Zandt

It's fun, lighthearted, catchy and all that, but this video totally misses the point with the song. It's a serious song. Steve makes it look and sound like some kind of goofball comedy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBoss said:

It's fun, lighthearted, catchy and all that, but this video totally misses the point with the song. It's a serious song. Steve makes it look and sound like some kind of goofball comedy.

He makes it sound like a Disciples of Soul version of a great song. Just as he desired.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

Interesting that he picked the one song from Western Stars that would fit seamlessly into an E-Street set 

Is that not Sleepy Joe's Café?

I would say Tucson Train would fit seamlessly into an Bruce Springsteen & The Seeger Sessions Band set.

9 hours ago, Silvia said:

Whenever I listen to someone covering Bruce, I immediately have to listen to the original version, to reset my memory, and prevent unwanted earworms. :P

Not the covers by Emmylou Harris!

But then, Emmylou Harris singing the telephone book would probably still sound great. If telephone books would still exist.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lampi said:

I would say Tucson Train would fit seamlessly into an Bruce Springsteen & The Seeger Sessions Band set.

I believe both would, and bet we will see that in the year 2025. 

17 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Not the covers by Emmylou Harris!

But then, Emmylou Harris singing the telephone book would probably still sound great. If telephone books would still exist.

Some covers are really nice. 

Some just remind you how good Bruce really is. How outstanding his songwriting is. 

Nobody is better than Bruce!

(I'm drinking Kool Aid tonight instead of wine ;))

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TheBoss said:

but this video totally misses the point with the song. It's a serious song. Steve makes it look and sound like some kind of goofball comedy.

It's a video paying tribute to the greatest Western stars, I love it!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

It's a video paying tribute to the greatest Western stars, I love it!

This video screams Outlaw Pete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Silvia said:

This video screams Outlaw Pete.

I've just watched the video again after reading this and I'm now imagining "Pete" as a film with Paul Newman playing the title role. 

• Like 1

That sequence from 1:34 to 1:37, where it transitions from Harmonica shooting Jack Elam, Woody Strode and Al Mulock, into Kurt Russell's Wyatt Earp shooting, then finally into Harmonica shooting Frank - as Stevie sings "we fought hard over nothing" - that's my favourite moment of the video.

... After Claudia Cardinale at the end ;)

And I'll admit that I don't know the name of the film, but the scene shown at 2:14, to me that screams "Remember all the movies, Terry, that we'd go and see, trying to learn how to walk like the heroes, we thought we had to be."

And then look who pops up eight seconds later!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

That sequence from 1:34 to 1:37, where it transitions from Harmonica shooting Jack Elam, Woody Strode and Al Mulock, into Kurt Russell's Wyatt Earp shooting, then finally into Harmonica shooting Frank - as Stevie sings "we fought hard over nothing" - that's my favourite moment of the video.

... After Claudia Cardinale at the end ;)

gettyimages-108823360-1024x1024.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

And I'll admit that I don't know the name of the film, but the scene shown at 2:14, to me that screams "Remember all the movies, Terry, that we'd go and see, trying to learn how to walk like the heroes, we thought we had to be."

And then look who pops up eight seconds later!

Are you implying that Steve is Terry?

Or was I counting the seconds wrong?

1 minute ago, Silvia said:

Are you implying that Steve is Terry?

Or was I counting the seconds wrong?

I was. At 2:14 there's a film playing on a big screen, at 2:15 we see two lads watching it.

It's Stevie's video, so maybe Steve is Terry.

3 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I was. At 2:14 there's a film playing on a big screen, at 2:15 we see two lads watching it.

It's Stevie's video, so maybe Steve is Terry.

He's can't possibly qualify as an angel on someone's chest. :D

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, Silvia said:

He's can't possibly qualify as an angel on someone's chest. :D

No, not even cherubs are THAT fat, are they? And cherubs are supposed to be young.

On the other hand, the whole video is rather farcical so an old and fat cherub maybe could fit the overall theme.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/3/2020 at 9:49 AM, TheBoss said:

He probably learned that trick from Bruce, where you take deadly serious songs and make them sound like anthems only to complain about people treating them like anthems because they are deadly serious songs. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

He probably learned that trick from Bruce, where you take deadly serious songs and make them sound like anthems only to complain about people treating them like anthems because they are deadly serious songs. 

Steve should made a cover of Frankie Fell In Love instead. That's a lightweight song that would fit his style better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheBoss said:

No, not even cherubs are THAT fat, are they? And cherubs are supposed to be young.

On the other hand, the whole video is rather farcical so an old and fat cherub maybe could fit the overall theme.

I wasn't even thinking about Steve's appearance, more about his personality... He's just not the angelic type. :P

Anyhow, Terry was/is a girl. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvia said:

IAnyhow, Terry was/is a girl. 

Terry is a boy.:)

• Haha 1

I like this version of the song and I like the horns, but the background vocals take away some of my enjoyment of the song.

On 8/3/2020 at 5:11 PM, Jimmy James said:

I believe both would, and bet we will see that in the year 2025. 

8 hours ago, Lampi said:

Terry is a boy.:)

Terry's not a boy, no he's an old man by now around Bruce's age. If he's still alive today.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 10:05 PM, Lampi said:

Not for me. Tuscon Train has the classic riff, the fist pumping chorus, the build up to the crescendo, the all or nothing moment at the end of the song. Replace the strings with electric guitars and it’s classic E-Street.

• Like 1