Greasy Lake Community

49 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Dan this looks like WABC 77 !!!

Yup. Top station in the country for music in the 60s. 

• Love Love Love! 1
51 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Amazing how different the charts are. I guess the US was behind the UK for British records and vice versa 

Yup, & I think it goes to prove the Beatles seem to be bigger in America than their own homeland. It doesn't seem like they dominated British radio like they did American radio.

32 minutes ago, JustDan said:

Yup, & I think it goes to prove the Beatles seem to be bigger in America than their own homeland. It doesn't seem like they dominated British radio like they did American radio.

There was no such thing as 'Top 40 Radio' in the UK at the time. The BBC had a virtual monopoly and they played little pop music.

Listening to pop music meant Radio Luxembourg, with its notorious fading signal, or the pirate radio stations broadcasting from ships moored offshore. Eventually the pirate stations were made illegal and the BBC launched Radio 1 in 1967 to play pop music.

Even in the early '70s when I was starting to listen to radio a lot, Radio 1 did not broadcast in the evenings and Radio Luxembourg was the only option.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

There was no such thing as 'Top 40 Radio' in the UK at the time. The BBC had a virtual monopoly and they played little pop music.

Listening to pop music meant Radio Luxembourg, with its notorious fading signal, or the pirate radio stations broadcasting from ships moored offshore. Eventually the pirate stations were made illegal and the BBC launched Radio 1 in 1967 to play pop music.

Even in the early '70s when I was starting to listen to radio a lot, Radio 1 did not broadcast in the evenings and Radio Luxembourg was the only option.

Damn...:wacko: